Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 months has passed since I've ordered a Judge in the 3" barrel, and 3" chambers in brushed stainless.

I have a box of 3" #6 shot, a box of 3" #4 shot, three boxes of Win .000 buck, a box of Golden bear .000 buck, and 20 rounds of .45 long colt hp along with 4 pair of industrial safety glasses, and one pair of the wally world reading glasses..

Ok, took it to the range. I brought some Win 3" #4 birdshot shells.
Some Golden Bear 3" with #4 buck(5 pellets),
some Federal 3" #4 buck,
and some 250 Gr JHP .45 Colt ammo.

I put a head/torso sillouette target on our target stand that uses 1/2" thick conveyor belting material that is polyester reinforced. Similar to a tire.
At 5 yds the first shot was at the head with the #4 birdshot. You would have definetly had pellets in your eyes, more than likely resulting in blindness. Threat over.
Most of the pellets did not pass thru the belting material. A few did. I suspect one went in, and the one behind it pushed it through.
Next I tried the Win #4 buck. At 5 yds they hit in a 4" group. The Golden Bear #4 buck all pretty much hit in the same 1" group. I think they are encased by a reverse wad, as the wad was sticking in the target backwards.
When I walked up to the target, I noticed several flattened pellets on the ground in front of the target. Upon closer examination, I think none of the #4 buck pellets penetrated the belting at all, just hitting, and bouncing off.
A person with thick clothing, or a person with lots of extra girth could probably take the hit, and not result in a fatal wound.
It would hurt, and probably leave a mark, but I won't use them for defense. I understand one of the US manufacturers are coming out with .410 rounds designed for the Judge. They will have to have more speed, and be a much harder lead or steel shot to prevent the flattening which impeeds penetration.

The .45 Long Colt.....what can I say No more threat.
Back to 12 yds, I could maintain a 2" and better group with the .45 shooting offhand.

I recovered some of the #4 buck pellets, and here is what they look like after bouncing off the belting.

[/QUOTE]

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I had a question... what if the threat had on glasses? Good point.

I got to the range today with 4 pair of industrial safety glasses. I had a piece of fire wood to put them on.

Here are my results.

At 5 yds with #4 birdshot":

At 3 yds with #4 shot:

At 3 yds with #6 shot"

At no time did I get any penetration through the safety glasses. They knocked the lenses out, and it took a bit of looking to find them.

In my original post I said that there was some new ammo out that is supposed to be designed for the Judge. It would have to be a faster burning powder to generate the velocity to penetrate safety glasses.
I got home and thought more about the test, and came to the conclusion that maybe the firewood was stopping the penetration by the density of the wood as it came in contact. I decided to put some safety glasses on the ground so that there was no obstruction without it. To further validate the test, I decided to use my 28" barrel .410, Full choke, H&R Topper M48 in this test. I shot the glasses, and got one pellet to penetrate at 7 yds.
Then to test the shotgun VS the Judge I put another set of glasses on the same piece of firewood I tested the Judge against. Shooting the .410 shotgun I still did not get any penetration. The lenses went all over the place, but no penetration.

The pic on the right is the lens that was shot with no firewood backup, and the one on the left was shot on the firewood.

The next test I tried was with some $10 reading glasses from wally world. They shattered into tiny pieces. None of which were large enough to photograph.

My conclusion from this test is that if somebody has industrial safety glasses on, you will not have a shot that will take the eyes out, but you will get pellets in their face that may slow them down enough for you to further access the situation if you coming out of a sleep to use the next round which is the .45LC.

If they don't have industrial safety glasses on, they will have glass frags in the eye, and it might stop there.

Next assessment is that these .410 rounds are exiting the shotgun at 1300 fps.
They did not penetrate. This is the same speed as a 12 ga. round fired from whatever shotgun you want to call a SD weapon. You will not get penetration to the eyes from any birdshot round that I tested which is #4 or #6.
If you used a buckshot round to the face.......I don't know...thats another test I need to do on safety glasses before I comment. I have some....there will be pictures.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Ouch! Even if it didn't go thru the glasses, it'd still put a hurting on you nose and face. I wouldn't keep comming for more.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Still looks like it would hurt like hell.
Maybe some Hevi-Shot pellets would penetrate them safety glasses.
Off the Topic a little but worth the read.
I shot a 12 gauge 3" Hevi-13 #6 shot 2oz turkey load 1090fps @ 40 yards into 2" thick sheet rock.The results were all the pellet were complete pass through.
That is awesome penetration for # 6 shot.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats impressive penetration for #6. :eek:
I looked in my catalog, and I didn't see where hevi-shot made a .410, so guess I'm out of luck testing those.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis,
Yes they do. Look @ the bottom of this post.
That Hevi-13 turkey load killed a hog as well.
Bird shot him a few season ago with it.

{Hevi-Shot "Classic Doubles" 3" 410 gauge 1150 fps #4,5,& 6 shot 7/16oz load.}

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dennis,
Yes they do. Look @ the bottom of this post.
That Hevi-13 turkey load killed a hog as well.
Bird shot him a few season ago with it.

{Hevi-Shot "Classic Doubles" 3" 410 gauge 1150 fps #4,5,& 6 shot 7/16oz load.}
Ok! New game on! I recently went to Academy in Broken arrow and found some of the new Federal (made for the Judge) #4 buckshot. As stated in my earlier post the #4 buck had some serious penetration problems, as well as they flattened out either on shooting the gun, or on impact with the target due to really soft lead. I'm thinking they did it in the shell as they are really uniform in how they flatten. The new shells have one of the shot showing in the top of the shell. Its copper plated so I'm hoping the upped the antimoney in the lead to harden it up. The new ones from Federal are make to shoot in a pistol with a faster burning powder to obtain a stated 1300fps. I also found a box of standard slugs. I'll set up a penetration test and see which does better. I'll also include the .45 long colt which is pretty anemic in the factory form as they are scared of somebody using these in their classic BP guns. Similar to how they load for the .45-70. If reloaded, they can be sped up pretty quickly ;D

I will have to check out the web site of hevi-shot, and none of the major on-line retailers offer the .410 shell. Thanks Guage! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Your welcome buddy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts