Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well y'all Hevi Shot has come out with a new budget line pheasant load.
Hevi-Metal Pheasant Load.
Offered in both 12 & 20 Gauge loads.
25 rounds a box.
12 Gauge loads are 1 1/8oz & run 1350 fps. Shot Size #3 & #4 shot.
20 Gauge loads are 7/8oz & run 1300 fps. Shot Size #3 & #4 shot.

This ammo will blow your mind on performance & knockdown power.
Plus it's priced right for budget mined hunters.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks but no thanks! I'm doing good with my Winchesters! ;)

I would like to try some Hevi-(anything) some time, but it isn't in my budget. Some day, though! Some day!!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okherp~ It is a budget line priced ammo & rebates are out for it as well.
Go to HeviShot.com & get ya some rebates.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'll check it out. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Richard I thought the same as well. The cheaper the ammo the better. 2 seasons ago hunting along side gauge and a few other I put winchester against the hevi shot. Not only did I seem to cripple more birds but I also needed them close.
Last year I made the switch to Hevi metal and tried it against some Remington Hypersonic. I'll admit the lead with Hevi VS Hyper is the same and for me that little to no leed at all.
I tell ya what really sold me was my first goose of the season. It was about a 45y shot with a 3" BB. The goose took 1 pellet only and dropped like a rock. I called gauge I was so pumped about it.
Try 1 box side by side to the winchesters and see the difference.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I roll my own.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
With the volume of shells I shoot at clays, it's cost prohibitive to buy over the counter shells.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dennis, Clays & Pheasant are different.
One you eat the other ya smoke. ;D

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
My current pheasant load is 1 1/8 oz of #6 shot, at 1400fps, with a full choke.
29.5 gr of win WSF, WAA12 wad, AA hulls.

Speed kills. Kicks like a mule too. :D

That's the beauty of rolling your own. Clays, I drop the speed to 1300 fps. Shooting a couple hundred rounds in an afternoon can sure make the shoulder hurt. I do use a mercury tube inserted into the buttstock along with a Limb saver recoil pad to reduce recoil.

Btw, speeds are measured with a chronograph. I've found that published loads tend to fib a little.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use to reload as well, it just is not cost efficient to many anymore.
Was costing me just as much if not up to $.25 Cents more per box.
Had a 1 1/8oz field load that screamed @ 1575 fps. AA hulls could only be used 3 times on this load.
There are some benifits still to reloading speed is one of them.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Never could get the hang of building shot shells, but reload all rifle and pistol loads. Even figured out how to reload muzzle loaders. ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
I use to reload as well, it just is not cost efficient to many anymore.
Was costing me just as much if not up to $.25 Cents more per box.
Had a 1 1/8oz field load that screamed @ 1575 fps. AA hulls could only be used 3 times on this load.
There are some benifits still to reloading speed is one of them.
What powder/wad combo were you using to get 1575fps? Everything I read, says pressure at that level would be terribly unsafe, and likely result in a ruptured barrel?

Its cost me around $5 bucks a box to roll my own. I consider mine to be equal to premium loads, that are currently selling for up to $20 a box.

Dropped shot with a high antimony content will reduce flat spots in the shot, giving denser loads at longer range. I used cheap shot a couple of times, but the blown patterns with holes in them convince me that was not the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I used to shoot up to 500+ rounds of trap and skeet a week when I was an RSO at the base range in Cali. Reloaded then on the in house press but haven't done any reloading in years. It can take a toll on ya after awhile.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dennis,
I used longshot powder & got the load data from a Winchester reloading manual on AA Hulls.
That load did melt the wad crimp a few times.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Gauge did you by chance make that call we had talked about over the weekend? No worries if not was just wondering.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Check your email.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts