Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back last week from a TDY to Volk Field Wisconson, near the town of Tomah, and we always go to the MWR place and rent (well, they're free actuall) a couple of canoes for some fishing. This last trip we were going to have several days off and we went to nearby Ft. McCoy and rented 16ft deep vee bass boats. 45 Hp tiller controll motors, trolling motor, live well and all the stuff, only thing they didn't have was a fish finder. They also have 18ft pontoon boats. $95 a weekend, pick up on Sat, bring back on Monday. Talking to the guys there and found out that they have a shooting range with 50yrd pistol range w/steel plopers, 500yrd rifle range w/steel targets and you can rent and shoot their guns, .223 to .308 as they called 'em "tactical rifles"!!! There are really nice cabins for rent and RV hookups galore there. We took our boats to Castle Rock lake and caught bass, crappie and walleys. A highly reccommended place to visit on the lake is the Dirty Turtle and Pine Cove. Good food/drink, live bands and "lot's of scenery" if you know what I mean. The DT is kid friendly and all at reasonable prices. Lots of motorcycle roaming that whole area as it is awesome looking country. So if your looking to take a neat vacation, might give that area a thought.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Is that for active duty personell, or can an old vet like me take advantage of it? Sounds like a great place ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. Did you get pic of you and the fish. Points are points and the numbers are slow right now.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bull, if you still get access to a mil base, you're good to go on the rentals. If you get in the Guard or Reserves, you'll be golden. Think Ft. Sill has the same deal on the boats, don't think they have a ski slope tho. ;)

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Well. sounds like active duty or reserve. :'(

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Either way I have my own boat for around here that is. But yes the Outdoor Rec and MWR centers are a good deal to have access too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts