Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering who here runs dogs to hunt hogs. This is one of my favorite types of hunting, and i'm actually about to buy my own dogs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have not hog hunted hogs in oklahoma yet, we moved back from south texas in 08, anyway you better have a lot of dogs if the hogs are like they ae down there. a friend would lose as many as 5 a week (killed by the hogs)

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Yeah, I was on another forum where a guy around Davis Ok was running hog dogs. He took lots of pics, and some of the dogs were torn up pretty good. I'd bet a person would have to be a part time vet to stitch them up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have 3 retired hog dogs. They are just good yard dogs now. I hunted pretty hard with a friend for a few years (3 or so nights a week) and in that span I only saw one dog loose its life, and caught a few hundred pigs. We were very careful and only cut the catch dogs loose when we were withing 50 yards of bayed pigs. We also used Kevlar dog vests and Kevlar 3 inch dog collars on the catch dogs. The vests covered similar areas to a vest that you would buy your duck dog. It was a lot of fun but very time consuming.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O yes. The group of guys i've been going with a lot lately (at least 3 nights a week), have been doing this for a very long time. They really know how to take care of their dogs. We only turn out the catch dog when we are within 50yds, and all catch dogs wear kevlar vests and cut collars. Over all the years they have been hunting, they have only lost a handful of dogs, and most of those were inexperienced pups.
Wayne: I'm looking to start off with probably two bay dogs. Most likely Black mouth curs. And then one Pitbull for my catch dog. I'll still be running with the same group of guys, so there will be other dogs around to help on a big hog.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have a 8 year old male rottweiler he is not a hog hunter but could be .
we had so many hogs down there you could not go down the street without hitting them..

p.s. they sure make some good BBQ

update on my dog, we lost austin 1/15/2010 hart attack the vet thinks :( there was no sign of anything :'([/size]

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Buckslayer:
Long time no see buddy.
Hope you get the dog's ya want for the hogs.
How's the new job going?

Gauge

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guage: hey bud, the guiding job is going really well. I'm also about to get on the Anadarko fire Dept as well. And guide hunts on my days off. Pretty exciting.

Elip: I live in Cement, But most of the hog hunting that we do is around Chickasha Lake, and back to the north a few miles. Lots of hogs in that part of the world.

Fish:Thanks for the tip man, i'm going to check that out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you dont mind me askin, what are their names?? I may have seen them around

·
Registered
3 Posts
My husband is an avid "hog dogger". Right now we've got 4 ace hood dogs, 4 catch dogs, a couple of black mouth pups in training, and a dogo pup training to catch. I love the bay pen and training part of it-he's the one that stays out all night driving back roads. LOL
They hunt alot down south of lindsey and around the tabletops. We've also got a lease in Davis they hunt. It's an awesome time and they're bagging some pretty great hogs.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I've heard that the area around Davis is pretty much overrun with hogs. We don't have them in Grant county yet, but have heard of a few getting into the Kaw Lake area.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sure would like to have some nice dogs to hunt over around here.
They got the creek bed tore up on both sides.
Time to get the ground blind out & sit it out for a ambush.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.