Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guy planning a diy trip for public land hogs and was hoping you guys could explain the regs to me a bit. Can I use any rifle I want to hunt hogs during small game season but not in a deer or turkey season?When reading the regs it says you must fallow whatever rules are open for the open season unless I’m reading it wrong? Legal method of take for small game says rifles are allowed but doesn’t specify caliber so wanted to be sure so I don’t get into trouble when I go down there.

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
Morning guy planning a diy trip for public land hogs and was hoping you guys could explain the regs to me a bit. Can I use any rifle I want to hunt hogs during small game season but not in a deer or turkey season?When reading the regs it says you must fallow whatever rules are open for the open season unless I’m reading it wrong? Legal method of take for small game says rifles are allowed but doesn’t specify caliber so wanted to be sure so I don’t get into trouble when I go down there.
First of all, welcome to OKH.
You’re reading the regs correctly. During deer seasons which are now over, you must have a deer tag and appropriate means of harvest.
There are no restrictions on the caliber.
Be sure to read the individual regulations for the public grounds you intend to hunt for regs particular to that area.
Some public grounds do not allow pig hunting.
If we knew the area you’re interested in hunting, we may be able to offer more specific advice.
Just out of Curiosity, where are you coming from?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where out of Minnesota. I do a lot of out of state hunting but my dad wanted to try something new and was intimidated by the idea of an elk hunt out west. I was looking at love valley are but open to anywhere that’s got pigs. I’m interested in the idea of a new critter to chase and new area of the world to do it in. Dad likes the idea of hunting both deer and hogs during rifle season. Before I commit to that figured I’d go try to scout and get the lay of the land somewhere. Would be nice to get out of the cold lol.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for helping clear up the regs. I think Georgia is whatever the season you fallow those rules and 22s specified as only rifle allowed if I remember right. Been awhile since I looked.
If anyone has any tips stories or info about public land hogs I’d love to hear it. Is Still hunting the best tactic? Drives? What kinda area/terrain should I escout for so I have places to start when looking for hogs? Any wma that you recommend? Lol I know the last one is a long shot but gotta try 😝

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it thickest stuff available. 😂 I know they bed in that stuff, just didn’t know if they’re like deer. I should be looking for say oxbows on a river, pine clumps etc. new animal figured there would be something different as far as preferred sanctuary from pressure. For example coyotes in my kneck of the woods hide in dogwood thickets a lot of the time.

· Administrator
16,297 Posts
got it thickest stuff available. 😂 I know they bed in that stuff, just didn’t know if they’re like deer. I should be looking for say oxbows on a river, pine clumps etc. new animal figured there would be something different as far as preferred sanctuary from pressure. For example coyotes in my kneck of the woods hide in dogwood thickets a lot of the time.
Pigs are mostly nocturnal in their feeding. I'm subject to be corrected by Diggler1833 who is our pig expert on here, but if one is interested in day hunting, it's going to be a driven hunt with drivers to push the pigs out of some nasty terrain to standers on the other side. I've seen videos taken in Europe doing the pig drives. It's fast shooting as they are typically on the run.
In my area of North Central Ok, the pigs hang out in huge 8' high johnson grass fields or the flooded swampy areas of Kaw Lake which is a Corps of Engineers lake.
Tracks everywhere but no pigs to be seen in daylight. Some deer hunters in the past have killed a few during daylight hours but only after they have been pushed from their day beds and were on the move.
Here is the key to me telling you to watch the individual regulations for each public hunting area. Kaw lake is no longer open to any pig killing. The USDA in conjunction with the Okla Wildlife dept are conducting study's about pig eradication so they shut off the pig hunts.
There are a couple of areas in the Southern part of Oklahoma they shut off as well as part of the test.
My best suggestion to you is to contact the Oklahoma department of wildlife biologist and the game warden in that area via text message to get their recommendations. Phone numbers listed on the ODW website or app.
They don't want these pigs on their areas any more than the landowners do so you might get some tips about where to find them and possibly some landowners wanting help to eliminate what you can do.
Hunters will never eliminate the pig population. They are too smart and too prolific in their breeding.
Trapping is probably the answer when an entire sounder can be taken off the habitat.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great tip on contacting the biologist I certainly will do that. And yeah I’ve been researching the different wmas and noticed some have different seasons and such as being closed on holiday antlerless. Definitely going to do some more research before I jump into anything.
What’s pressure like during deer seasons? Here in mn there’s some but not a lot of bow hunters on public but come gun season a lot of places become a pumpkin patch. What’s the holiday season look like. We’re looking to get our feet wet while being respectful to guys that are local and know what they’re doing. Definitely don’t want to be bumping other guys hunt’s because we’re new to still hunting/driving hogs.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can’t line up guys and walk thick cover while wearing orange on public land seems strange? In southern mn that’s the way to get deer after the mourning sit but before after noon sit.

· Super Moderator
13,609 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. Hope you find some hogs to exterminate.

· Registered
254 Posts
You can’t line up guys and walk thick cover while wearing orange on public land seems strange? In southern mn that’s the way to get deer after the mourning sit but before after noon sit.
That’s the problem in my opinion on a lot of public land during deer season too many people walking around lol

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
🤷‍♂️ I see it both ways nothing is worse than a guy blundering under your stand at 9am. But I’ve seen a lot more deer shot on a drive unless you’re on private with less pressured deer with bait or food plot and deer you’ve patterned.
To be honest my most memorable kills have been game I still hunted and stocked vs driven or ambushed from a stand. But to each their own I have no problem with either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts