Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm looking to start hog hunting in Oklahoma. I'd love to hear any advice you fellows might have. Is there good public land available or is private the way to go? If private, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter,Mike
Hogs are every where any more, public lands-WMA's offer plenty of opportunity's.
Just do a little homework on where ya want to hunt & get after it.

Where about you at in OK & where do plain to go hunt for hog's?
If your close by- We could do a hunt this late fall & winter.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Whats your line of work? If it's DoD or MIL then Ft. Sill is loaded with hogs.
One thing to keep in mind is even though no license or tags are required to hunt hogs in OK you will have to have a license during any big game ML or general season along with a tag for that game for which is in season to hunt on public lands.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Oh ya welcome to the forum!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello & thanks for the greetings. I'm not a vet (I was in the Army) but I am married to one. What are the eligibility rules for Ft Sill? I'm located in Tulsa but open to traveling. As to the where I plan to hunt I don't have that part worked out LOL. I suppose you could say I'm exploring my options. I haven't hunted much in Oklahoma and not at all in a decade. Most of the hunting I did was in W. Kansas for mule deer, pheasant, and the occasional coyote.

Thanks again for the advice,

Mike

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I'm in the NC part of the state. We don't have many hogs around here, but they are coming.
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter!

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
If I'm correct being a MIL dependant you can hunt the base. You have to take the one time hunter safety/ orientation class that last most of a day. You can hunt hogs, deer and elk on the base but they have special regs for the deer and elk on how often you can apply and such. I'll dig up the info I have and post it for you. If anything you can give them a call and ask.

Being your in Tulsa your not far from several WMA's. Here is the link to the fish and game site's public land maps page.
http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/facts_maps/wmastate.htm

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hello,
I live in Lawton ,OK where Ft. Sil is located. All you have to do is is take thier Ft. Sill saftey class. It tells you the do's and don'ts for hunting on Ft. Sill. I have been stationed for 11 yrs and there are some really great hunting and fishing opportunities here. Waterfowl, deer, turkey, elk, and hogs. If you have any questions call you can call the Ft. Sill Sportsman Center at 580-442-3553 or me at 580-483-1933.
Wecome aboard and Hope to hear from you soon.

·
Registered
541 Posts
WOW..Baby and Bull..to me this is what a good hunting forum is all about. New guy shows up needing some help and advice and both of you guys are more than willing to help..Kudos to both of you and Long Live Oklahoma Hunter..

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Darn it baby ya beet me to the phone numbers. Been busy today setn up some hog skulls for maceration. Gonna do a European mount on them.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
You might check with the area biologist and the Game warden for the Keystone WMA this is just outside of Tulsa.
I went there with the site owner a couple of years ago for a hog hunt. We saw lots of sign, but did not get or see any hogs.
Its mostly in Osage county if I'm not wrong. You have the ODW website where the phone numbers can be obtained. :D

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Grant county, where I hunt was pig free until last year. A guy got trail cam pics of several on the Salt fork river last year, so we finally made the list. :'(

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Depending on where you hunt and on what lands you can only use shotgun with slug. However if I'm correct you can pull the plug and load full up for them. However one more thing on top of that. If its in an area where another season is going on you can only use whats legal for that season. A few weeks back When I went after some hogs it was after the start of dove so the largest I could carry was BB shot to shoot hogs with.
If your asking in general what rifles we shoot I use a Browning Marage Pro Hunter set at 65#. lol

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I'm a gun whore.

I cycle rifles year after year to make sure they don't become safe queens.

.22.250, .300 Savage, 30-06, .270, .243WSSM, .223, for a few.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would like the opportunity to hog hunt at some time. I don't have any on my land, not that I want them here, but I can't figure out why they aren't here. Bruce Burton, ODWC wildlife biologist and good friend of mine, said that Deep Fork WMA is loaded with them, but that place is hard to hunt and since they roam, you never know where they're going to be.

By the way, according to him, you have to use whatever method is legal during that season. But, if it's the off-season (such as spring or summer), you can use whatever weapon you choose. I have a .30-06, .223, .50 cal T/C Encore, and 20-ga slug.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I can't remember which member it is on here but he runs hound for hogs and sticks them with a knife. I know he lives around the Arbukle area.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts