Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhhhh crap. Just what we don’t need. Someone hit this boar Wednesday morning and tore off their skid plate. They didn’t stop. Just found it laying there bubbling from the nose. Then a buddy sends me the pic of the rooting along the jogging/bike trail. Prob weighs 125/130.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Terrible critters. I’ve seen pics of peoples manicured lawns turned into moonscapes overnight.
So far, we don’t have any at our farms in Grant County or at our home in Osage county. I know some have been trapped a couple miles south of the house but none have made it to us yet.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
They have rooted up the ground at the Holy City at Wichita Mountains Refuge. They do control hunts but don't shoot like they should.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Smoke didn’t you nearly hit one a few years back in the scout car? I seem to recall a story you telling me. I know I’ve seen tracks and scat from them way back when out on some of the peninsula trails during duck season.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah. We’ve spotted before. But they haven’t seemed to stick around for some reason

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Yeah. We’ve spotted before. But they haven’t seemed to stick around for some reason

I heard they have taken uproots around Arcadia as well. Let’s hope they move on from Draper again.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I have a friend in Predator Control USDA and said he has killed 550 hogs through end of March this year. Sent me a picture of one of their pens with about 50 hogs in it.
Did he reveal the location of the pen? The USDA along with the ODW shut down the hog hunting on Kaw lake and other areas last year. They are trying new methods of control and was just wondering if your friend was involved in that study.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Hunting should be one method of control. Why would you eliminate that?!

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Hunting should be one method of control. Why would you eliminate that?!
They don’t want them disturbed by hunters so they can test new methods of trapping is what I’m thinking, but don’t know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
That’s stupid IMO. They should do whatever it takes to get rid of them all.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I bet the airfield managers at Tinker are going to be PO'd when they start infiltrating and get on the runways.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
I bet the airfield managers at Tinker are going to be PO'd when they start infiltrating and get on the runways.
They have deer on the base so who knows how they will change things to avoid any BASH reports.

Reactions: Bird (this time)

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
They have deer on the base so who knows how they will change things to avoid any BASH reports.
Mark Bradley and David Jones, the head cheeze and his #2 man, were in my ALCE unit at the Guard.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Those pigs are all over, including the metro. It's been legal to shoot a hog at the Arcadia Lake controlled hunt if you see one for the past 4 years or so. They are thick at Thunderbird Lake too, fairly good sized pigs as well, saw a dozen last fall. Legal to shoot there if you see one.

I agree that it's dumb to shut down hog hunting on WMA's. I understand they are trying to control the variables to test their new trapping methods, but like what Bull said, hogs should be killed on sight by whatever means is legal.

I sure got a lot of pleasure mowing hogs down at night with my thermal, but if all the hogs were eradicated and you only heard stories of seeing wild hogs every now and again, that would be fine with me too. They cause so much damage and destroy and eat everything.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Hummm, testing trapping methods...sounds like something you'd hear out of Wuhan. ;)😁

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Probably some tree hugger group that convinced the USDA to spay and neuter those that are trapped and release them back into their pig family units so they can live in peace and not reproduce. Like the feral cat program some cities have.
Im sure that’s it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
If I was a betting man I would think it was controlling them with poison and don't want hunters to get poisoned in the process. I know they've been talking about it in some places. Would be the most effective method of control in my opinion.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
If I was a betting man I would think it was controlling them with poison and don't want hunters to get poisoned in the process. I know they've been talking about it in some places. Would be the most effective method of control in my opinion.
They used to use cyanide on coyotes. Too many secondary kills from avian and mammalian scavengers eating the contaminated meat.
I know they have perfected insecticides that only kill the targeted insect with no secondary kills.
Like diflubenzuron that kills grasshopper infestations without killing the quail and pheasant that feed on the dead insects.
When comes in contact with grasshoppers, it hardens the exterior of their body causing them to die.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts