Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reloading since the early 80's, and pretty much reload everything I shoot except for the rimfire stuff.
Load 06, .270, .243WSSM, .44mag/special, 45ACP, .45 Colt, .22-250, and 12 ga shotgun.

Anybody else "roll your own"?

Post a pic of your reloading setup if you have one.

·
Registered
541 Posts
1968, I was a Jr. in high school when I got my RCBS press..Still using it today..Too old to do the math about how many years that's been..but a lot of rounds has came and gone..I remember well the old guy that got me started told me that it's not one bit cheaper to reload..you can just shoot a lot more for the same money....

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I reload for my 6.5 Swede, 45 Colt , 12 ga on a Lee press

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Used to do 12g for trap and skeet. I don't shoot as much as I like to do it right now.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Does 500 .45 ACP's on a rainy Sunday make me a reloader?

S-I-L and I use a Lee turrent press and RCBS single stage. If I post a pic, you'll see how messy our bench is! Did the 22-250 & 270 for max accuracy long ago and picked up the rest when ammo got scarce. .460 is definatly a money saver.

.45ACP
30-30 Win
.270 Win
.460 S&W
9mm Luger
22-250
.357/38 Special

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We need to see pics of that .460 in action! I've had a serious eyeball on one of those pistols for awhile ;D
Shoot, the .44 mag will take anything in North America, but I like to kill them really dead ;D Plus, they look really cool with that brake.

Don't worry about getting a pic of the bench, even if its messy. It shows work in progress. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
If I had the time and money I'd start reloading for the 7mm, .38spl, .40 and .44mag.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Watch craigs list. I picked up some unused .45 Colt carbide dies for $20 the other day. Between craigs list and swap & shop, I've seen reloaders and accessories sell cheap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I started rolling my own in'67 with a mec 600 jr for 12 ga, still use it. I use an RCBS single stage for centerfire.
25-06
30-06
300 WSM
357 Mag
40 SW
410, 28, 20, 16, 12 ga shotgun.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! That's a big selection of shotgun. I've always wanted a 28ga.
Love one in a side by side! :D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I've been trying to get a good flame-out picture of shooting the .460. From the side, flame covers you all the way to your elbows.

I do need to start reloading .45 LC and .410 for the Judge. That ammo is 'spensive.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been trying to get a good flame-out picture of shooting the .460. From the side, flame covers you all the way to your elbows.

this is what I'm talking about! ;D
I do need to start reloading .45 LC and .410 for the Judge. That ammo is 'spensive.

My camera has a speed photo function. As long as the button is pushed, it snaps pics, and then its pick out the best shot.
Its not an expensive camera either.
I use H-110 for my magum loads. It puts out a pretty good fireball with a max load.
I need to follow my own advise about getting a pic ;D

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
We're using Lil' Gun powder. Dang pistol round takes as much powder as most of my rifle rounds.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We're using Lil' Gun powder. Dang pistol round takes as much powder as most of my rifle rounds.
I've heard they are are using the .410 powder for pistol. How many grains?

Then again, I've used Unique, a pistol powder for shotgun. (factory recomended load)

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
I like to use about 10g topped with a bit of TNT putty. More BANG for my buck.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
39.something grains. I'd have to go over to Buckeys house and look it up. That's the load for the long barrel pistol. His "snub nose" version takes a differendt load.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in the same boat. I couldn't tell you what load I use in the .06. I load a couple hundred and it last for several years.
You'd think in this day and age, I'd start something on the computer, or at least use a spriral notebook to put down these pet loads.
I have scribbled notes on scraps of paper in a drawer, and in the reloading book.
I swear I'm gonna do this. :-[

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I just highlight the pet load in the loading book. That way I have to look in the manual to get all the stuff right. Good idea for when you have the memory skills of a rock, like I do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Dennis, all my shotguns are Remington 870 Wingmasters. My dad got my first, 12 ga in '58 and I bought the last, a 28 ga this Feb. The 28 is sweet to shoot but factory shells are very high. It will take me a while to get enough empty hulls rounded up.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I reload my own muzzleloader. Does that count? :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts