Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For mature bucks, yearlings and mature does.

On the hoof?
Field dressed?
Meat yield?

Just for fun I compiled this chart of North American deer weights off various sources I Googled and one of my experiences as follows:

North American Deer Weight Range on the Hoof

White-tail
(found in all of the Lower 48 except California as far as I know)
-yearling buck = 105-125 lb.
-buck = 150-300 lb.
-doe = 88-198 lb.

Mule
-yearling buck = unknown
-buck = 121–331 lb
-doe = 95-198 lb

Columbian Blacktail (California, I don't believe they have ever been native to Oklahoma)
-yearling buck = unknown, my 1996 forked horn weighed 95 pounds on the scale before gutting
-buck = up to 200 lb.
-doe = up to 130 lb.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Size is going to vary in different parts of the state. In the NW part where I hunt, a mature buck (6.5+) typically weighs 250+/- and a mature doe 150-160# live weight. I‘ve never weighed a field dressed doe, but a field dressed mature buck will weigh 200+/-.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Areas in eastern Oklahoma around Tinkeller, a mature doe will weigh 80# and a buck might break 100# but have a nice rack. Drop south a bit and the bodies get bigger. Western Okla has some big bodied deer. As feeders and food plots get more and more popular, the body weights have to be getting heavier, I'd think.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Where I grew up, N. Central OK, the biggest doe I ever shot was around 140# and the average doe weight I shot was 120#. The heaviest buck I ever shot weighed around 180#, about 3.5 years old. My buddy shot a buck that weighed 210# field dressed.

In central OK, where I've been hunting for probably 12-13 years now, mature does come in around 110# dressed and bucks about 160#. Although, my hunting buddy shot one in eastern OK County that weighed 176# dressed and it was regarded as a giant for his body size. He was guessed to be about 5.5 years I believe. I saw a doe last season in C. Okla. that I swear would go 140#, biggest I've ever seen in C. OK.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I run an outfit in Alfalfa County on the state line and we consistently harvest deer over 200 pounds.

·
Registered
Toyota
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in SW Ok and I'm considering deer hunting on public-accessible lands as close to home as possible. I favor antlerless/gun seasons. Knowing how heavy my deer are likely to be by the area and season I'm hunting will help me better make plans for selecting equipment and methods for recovering the downed deer in the field and loading the deer onto the truck. Since I favor does for eating anyway, my back also favors lifting these lighter-than-buck animals onto the truck. WMA deer should be lighter since they are not on private land and much of Oklahoma private land is farmed, I gather. WMA deer, to the best of my knowledge, aren't as likely to have access to domestic foods and might also taste gamier and be leaner. Grinding leaner and wilder vension and putting in 10% beef tallow to the mix really makes even wild deer better eating to me.

·
Administrator
14,053 Posts
I run an outfit in Alfalfa County on the state line and we consistently harvest deer over 200 pounds.
We aren’t far apart. Our field dressed bucks run in the 200 lb class since we limit ourselves to mature bucks only. We weighed in one field dressed doe at 146 lbs but the average mature does run in the 115-125 lb range. We have to weigh each one and pull a jaw for the biologist.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I live in SW Ok and I'm considering deer hunting on public-accessible lands as close to home as possible. I favor antlerless/gun seasons. Knowing how heavy my deer are likely to be by the area and season I'm hunting will help me better make plans for selecting equipment and methods for recovering the downed deer in the field and loading the deer onto the truck. Since I favor does for eating anyway, my back also favors lifting these lighter-than-buck animals onto the truck. WMA deer should be lighter since they are not on private land and much of Oklahoma private land is farmed, I gather. WMA deer, to the best of my knowledge, aren't as likely to have access to domestic foods and might also taste gamier and be leaner. Grinding leaner and wilder vension and putting in 10% beef tallow to the mix really makes even wild deer better eating to me.
The deer on WMA lands don't just stay on WMA lands. Plus they put some good food plots on WMA lands as well. There are some big deer on public lands. Just a suggestion, you might look up some videos on Youtube on how to quickly quarter out your deer. It'd be a lot easier to load them up in the truck that way and maybe a plastic deer drag to help in getting it to the truck.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Deer in SE Oklahoma only weigh about 45lbs for a mature buck, and maybe 30 for a doe...

...No need for any hunters to come this way.

I only estimate deer weight based on how many blood vessels I blow trying to get them loaded in the back of my Ranger.

I'm 5'10" and 200lbs for reference.
20191216_182837.jpg

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I bet you never won any prizes at the county fair guessing weights did ya?

Reactions: diggler1833
1 - 14 of 14 Posts