Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started hunting again last year after about 20 years. Wound up getting my soon to be wife and her kids somewhat interested as well. We both got deer during rifle season last year. This year I'm looking to expand my hunting labors into hog, coyote, and hopefully some dove and turkey. I missed Spring Turkey this year due to work and other responsibilities, so until then I hope to take the kids out squirrel hunting and then to chase some hogs as well.

My primary hunting rifle is a milsurp Springfield 1903 that my grandfather sporterized way back when.

I live about 20 minutes South East of Stillwater

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. Thanks for the intro post. You hunting public or private? You’re in a good area for chasing all the critters you want. You do much fishing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. Thanks for the intro post. You hunting public or private? You’re in a good area for chasing all the critters you want. You do much fishing?
I hunted private land this last season for deer, will probably use it again this year. Most likely will try and get on some family land for coyote and squirrel and then work the hogs and birds on public land.

We do a lot of fishing, typically chase catfish on the Cimarron River in several different spots, Smallmouth on the Upper Illinois, and Largemouth pretty much anywhere I can get access to.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have a good picture of the rifle currently, but I'll get one when I get up for work tomorrow afternoon. This guy walked out in front of me not 15 yards from where I sat on opening day. It was just after legal light and I couldn't let him walk with his funky shaped rack and big body. 4x3 and I would wager he field dressed out at around 145-150. 15 minutes after I shot him a Doe started to walk out in front of me, but I spooked her when I raised my rifle back up. Had to track this guy about 50 yards even after a close range shot in the boiler room with 180 gr Remington CoreLokt. I did the Euro mount myself in maceration tank with a heater.
Grass Terrestrial animal Plant Tail Groundcover
Elk Rectangle Wood Natural material Deer

The next morning, I took my soon to be wife and her kids out to the same spot and she shot this one with her 350 Legend at about 150yds. I've never witnessed a bang-flop with my own two eyes until that day. Same deal as the first one, right after legal light began, though we misidentified as a doe due to the spindly half rack on him. Thankfully she had an open buck tag as well and was able to harvest her first deer within 2 hours of hitting the woods. The worst par was that that other antler came off in my hands as I was dragging him out of the field. I've never seen an antler still green like that on a deer before. So we chalked it up to bad genetics and a good cull from the local herd. I still haven't heard the end of it from her though.
Plant Plant community Hunting Smile Helmet

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
You got a nice buck and really cool mount I don’t think I would let him walk. Look at all that blood too must have made for an easy track job. Tell us more about that 350 legend (the name cracks me up) I’ve been seeing so much ammo for it I thought about putting one in the safe but you’re the first person I’ve heard actually use it on game.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Surprisingly, it took me longer to find where the blood trail began than it did to find the deer. Blood trail started about 20yds from where I shot him and he wandered another 20-30yds down hill into some thick brush.

I was pretty skeptical about the 350 Legend since we aren't restricted to straight wall cartridges here. I bought the rifle for my lady about 3 weeks before opening day because I kept seeing ammo on the shelves for it. Wound up finding a Savage 110 Apex Hunter at Bass Pro with the Vortex Scope on it for a good price.

I'm seriously impressed by it! It shoots soft with minimal recoil compared to my 30-06, and its good out to about 200yds. The amount of Kinetic Energy it delivered to that deer at 150yds blew my mind. I watched the bullet hit through my binoculars and that deer shifted sideways as he reared up and then fell down facing 90 degrees the way he was facing when she shot him. I like it so much I've got a new 16" upper for an AR coming in the same caliber.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Can’t go wrong with a unique buck like that. Wife and kids looks look like they also had a good time and you certainly can’t go wrong with that.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
compared to my 30-06
Another 30-06 shooter on the forum! That's my primary elk rifle and it's taken elk out to 590 yards on the last hunt.
Most forums I visit call it an old fudds gun and use the .308 or something other.
The 06 is probably the most versatile caliber out there. I compare everything to it as a benchmark to see if it will match the velocity vs bullet weight in the heavier bullets.

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Another 30-06 shooter on the forum! That's my primary elk rifle and it's taken elk out to 590 yards on the last hunt.
Most forums I visit call it an old fudds gun and use the .308 or something other.
The 06 is probably the most versatile caliber out there. I compare everything to it as a benchmark to see if it will match the velocity vs bullet weight in the heavier bullets.
It’s what my oldest boy shoots and several guys at elk camp shoot the -06. It’s a true piece of American firearms history and it will continue to be until the end of the constitution.

Reactions: dennishoddy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts