Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys? Looks like Im the new guy here. Just losin my thread postin virginity as we speak.

My names Blaine and Im a Kentucky boy from Nicholasville. Got a job on the family farm in Walters (about 15 miles south of Lawton) and am movin there August 15. Been my dream to live out there and I cant wait to start huntin. Ill be blastin some doves, ducks, geese, hogs and hopefully some deer. Just wish you guys had the deer huntin us boys from Ky got  :p

But anyway just introducin myself. By the way, how was the waterfowl season in SW oklahoma last season???

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome to the site Dirtrider, and also welcome to the state of Oklahoma...We're always glad to have new Okies...especially ones that like to hunt...One thing I am kinda wondering about.....What kind of deer hunting do yall have in Kentucky that we don't have here...I'm just wondering..anyway...glad to have ya...and I look forward to visiting with ya.......Sasakwa ???

·
Registered
451 Posts
Welcome Dirtrider. There is plenty of good huntin to be found in Oklahoma. Gauge is the guy you want to talk to about last waterfowl season, he is the waterfowl man on this site.

·
Administrator
14,414 Posts
Here is another big welcome to the forum Dirtrider from North Central Okla. ;D
Come by often, stay a long time, and talk a lot ;)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Welcome to our small little world here.. Waterfowl was actually quite nice down that way..I sure wished I could have gotten down more often last season with Gauge cause every time we went out the ducks were a flying..Now that I got the jeep I can get out more often..:) Even if it's just locally..Anyways welcome to the board and stick around a bit..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. And sasakwa I was just messin with yall. You got some pretty good deer huntin out there too. And Nicholasville is about 15 miles south of Lexington in central Ky.

And I say Ill be on here quite a bit. I used to spend my summers on the farm out there. Always loved it. I remember when the ducks and geese made their way in to our wheat and ponds.. it got crazy. Cant wait for all them doves here soon. That and bow season.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks guys. And sasakwa I was just messin with yall. You got some pretty good deer huntin out there too. And Nicholasville is about 10 miles south of Lexington in central Ky.

And I say Ill be on here quite a bit. I used to spend my summers on the farm out there. Always loved it. Cant wait for all them doves here soon. That and bow season.
I know you were just messing with me...I'm glad to have ya..The wife and I were in Lexington one time and went south down some highway called the Davie Crockett highway...took all day and we came out in Roanoke, Virginia...probably one of the best drives I have ever been on....We got to see the country and the way people live..lots of the coal mines like Loretta Lynn use to sang about..not some interstate highway..I would love to do it again on my bike...if your from that part of the state then I'd say you got a lot to be proud of........welcome again ole buddy...

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dirtriderkx118 welcome to the okie hunting family.

So your from Walters.That's only a 35 minute drive south of my house here in Medicine Park.
Will have to hook up this season & do some hunting together.

The waterfowl hunting was good last season, not great but good.
Due to high water levels thru out the state.
The first part was far better then the 2nd part of the split season.
You live with in 30 minutes of some of greatest waterfowling aeras here in S.W. OK .
Waurika Lake W.M.A. & Hackberry Flats W.M.A. & Refuge.

If you want to come out this way and go Dove Hunting let me know.
A bunch of us here on the site are getting together Sept,6th & 7th for some Dove blasting.

Gauge

·
Registered
5,339 Posts
Welcome Dirtrider, I assume from the KX118 you might be a Kawasaki rider???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guage, that sounds good man. I had wondered in waurika produced or not. Never hunted it. And bird, ya I ride a saki. KX250 for now. Do you ride? One thing I love about Oklahoma.. TONS of tracks. On top of around the farm.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dirtrider
Waurika has it all..from deer,hogs,turkey & waterfowl..Quail population has gotten better too.

I got a few honey holes over their,I hunt every year.
Will have to get together & go this season.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Yep...Me

The place we are gonna go dove hunting has Quail too.
Land owner already said yes.

We got to go quail hunting this season..I know of 3 good spots around here.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Me too...So when are we gonna rob a gas refinery?
That will cover our gas or diesel situation.

·
Administrator
14,414 Posts
SWEET!!! I would drive twice as far for a good quail hunt as I would for a deer hunt! I love it.
Yeah buddy! I have a 3 yr old brittany that loves to quail hunt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey dennis, how do you like your britt? Ive never heard a bad thing about em but was just wonderin what you thought. Im in the middle of sellin my lab pup right now because I cant take him to Okie. But here in the next 3 or so months when I get settled in somewhere Id like to get a quail dog and Ive had it narrowed down to a britt or german shorthair pointer. I still cant decide Ive always loved britts but we use to have pointers on the farm and they were always great dogs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome dirtrider, I hunt around frederick and we have lots of quail this year it seems.
I will talk to the farmer and see if we can get a weekend hunt get together. We have been
kicking up alot of quail so far this year.
btw, I am also using my tracking dog, my wirehaired dachshund for dove hunting. He did
really good last year as a pup. Not sure how he would do on quail but plan on trying him
on Pheasant in Kansas in November.

·
Administrator
14,414 Posts
Love my britts! They are not only a great field dog, but a dog you can leave in the house as a family pet. I've heard some stories of people saying a house dog won't be a good hunter but I'm here to saky thats isn't so. :D ;D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.