Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonderin how archery season has been going for all. Anything hit the ground yet??

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Had a couple folks put the smack down already.

I ain't even got'n tags this year. Just no real time. Was thinking about the ML season but gotta work opening weekend. Oh well I always got the duck season and I do have a guided duck/ goose hunt coming up in Dec.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Just one buck at McAlester.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Hope to go this weekend, wish I'd of been out today weatherwise.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Today would have been a great day with the cool temps and fronts moving through.
Sadly I was working.... :'(

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have seen a couple deer, but no shots.I have killed 2 coyotes though.They are thicker than deer around here.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
It's been hot around here in the upper 70's & 80's :mad: :mad: :mad: .

Still gonna go this weekend no matter what the weather..Well till it reaches over 70 then it's time to go home.
Where the hell is the cool weather? It still feels like flipping summer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been getting out some but haven't been seeing anything. Got good spots just been unlucky I guess. Went out this evening and sat in the rain, thought they'd come out when the rain stopped but I was wrong. I'll keep tryin though.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I went out after work/rain yesterday as well. Bumped two does, a turkey, and two ***** on my food plot walking in.
Nothing came out with the exception of one more ****.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
They are calling for cold fronts later in the weeks. Supposed to have highs in the low 60's for several days with lows in the upper 30's. Next weekend might be a good time to hit the field.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Next weekend is the traditional start of the rut.
Driving out tonight, I had two occasions where a buck was with a doe in the wheat fields by themselves.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I took a mature doe on the evening of the 8th. I made a good shot on her, but she run off through tall grass which made tracking very difficult in the dark. She ran 140 yards before expiring and it took me 1.5 hours to find her.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Congrats on the doe! Was she at an angle? the exit wound is quite a ways back, but, it got the liver anyway, which is just almost as good as a lung shot.

·
Registered
66 Posts
You are looking at the entry wound. The angle was very steep. The arrow exited through the lower part of the front leg on the other side. I got at least one lung good. I believe because the exit wound was through muscle she did not bleed through it as well as if the exit would have been through ribs. I always have a couple mini flashlights with me as well as a bright flashlight. I will place a mini flashlight where I find blood, and then the second one on the next blood. Then I leapfrog the flashlights as I find more blood. That way I can have a sense of direction the deer is going when blood trailing. This seems to work well for me, and those little LED lights are only $2.99. This deer ran through tall grass so I did not find much blood on the ground, mostly on the grass stems.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Congrats on the doe. Meat is meat and and doe is fine eating meat.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Congrates on the doe.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Got me a cull buck on the first Sunday of archery season. He had five pts. on one antler and only two pts. on the other. Didn't get any decent pics of it.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Congrats to ya as well Eschiti. ;D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts