Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Man, I'm wasting the possums this year.
2 more on one place and one on another.

Pic with another with a skunk in the trap in the background. I'm not going anywhere near that trap for awhile. Sprayed when I shot him.
Other farm only produced one possum.
Dennis if take a pole or stick and roll that trap with the skunk in it upside down you'll be fine. Skunks can't spray when they are on their back.

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
I'll try that. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Let me know when you do so we can document this procedure. I was trying to relocate some half wild kittens with a live trap and caught a skunk. The trap was about 2 feet from the patio door on the brand new wooden deck. I was a junior or senior in high school and was under some heavy pressure from mom to remove skunk without discharge. Ended up getting rope around trap and had a gas powered pressure washer with the cleaning soap attached. Brother was gonna pull the trap off the deck the second I started the washer. Motor started, he pulled, I squeezed the trigger and the damn thing sputtered and died, skunk spray turned the patio door and cedar trim green. I think I still might be grounded 30 years later!

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
lol, I shot one with a .22 while rabbit hunting with friends once back in high school. Wounded it, and it ran off into tall grass. Buddies told me to leave it be, but I didn't want it to suffer, so I went into the grass after it.
It saw me before I saw it and unleashed a yellow spray of death. Got me from the waist down. It was horrible.
My "buddies" made me ride home in the open trunk of my car! Needless to say, I had to cancel my date that night.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Several years back when I was a manager at a ranch and home store I trapped and dispatched at least a dozen stinkers. I always had the trap in a large black trash bag when set. I would then close the bag around the trap place it in a drum and fill it with water. The only one that sprayed was the one a co worker tried to pull out and set free all the others drown without spraying. I also dispatched 3 more with a busted piece of 2x4, busted broom handle and even a pitch fork. They all sprayed but never on me. I remember the one I got with a pitchfork the air was so thick you could taste it on the air and I tossed everything I had in my gut and probably even a few feet of intestine. I'm glad my skunking days are over!

·
Administrator
14,674 Posts
Never shot a scaled quail. Congrats!

101 - 110 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.