Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So long story short I'm a Texan who has a ranch in Oklahoma, and I'm wondering what kind of licenses are required for me to hunt. Moreover I'm wondering if there is any way for me to be considered a resident of Oklahoma because I own property there. The reason I'm asking is Oklahoma NR hunting licenses are completely ridiculous, it would be around 320 bucks for me to hunt deer on MY OWN ranch. Is there another way around these ridiculous license fees? I really want to abide by the rules, but its a little ridiculous to charge someone upwards of 300 dollars to hunt on his own property.

Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Where abouts in TX you live?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
As far as I know.......no way around it. I've got a friend who live SE of Dallas and makes the drive many times a year and hunts their ranch near the KS line. He runs game cams with cellular capabilities, it emails him pics instantly. Once he sees a pattern, he takes off for OK. Aren't TX NR licenses about the same price as OK?

Also have friends who own ranches in KS, and are OK residents, they pay $25 for deer IIRC.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
No way around it unless you set up to meet the residency requirement. I'll not elaborate on how one can do this.

If caught, its a federal offense and you don't want to go there.

Welcome to Oklahoma Hunter. We have a couple of Tx residents that are regulars on here.

My Son and grandkids live in Lewisville.

·
Registered
153 Posts
One way around it is to tell me you have quail on your ranch and let me hunt them/train my dog on your ranch in return for me paying for your hunting license :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in Royse City and have land in Rattan OK. I bought the $280 Non-Resident bow season Licenses. That covers bow season starting Oct 1 to January something. If you hunt muzzle loader then that is extra $$$$, I you hunt rifle, that is $$$$. I'm in zone 10, 5 deer total, no more then 2 bucks. If you don't have the $280 then you have to buy a separate tag for each deer you harvest.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I live in Royse City and have land in Rattan OK. I bought the $280 Non-Resident bow season Licenses. That covers bow season starting Oct 1 to January something. If you hunt muzzle loader then that is extra $$$$, I you hunt rifle, that is $$$$. I'm in zone 10, 5 deer total, no more then 2 bucks. If you don't have the $280 then you have to buy a separate tag for each deer you harvest.
I also live in TX and own land in OK, and some years I spend close to $1000 in licenses. I‘m basically a “trophy hunter” and generally only kill one deer (buck) a year.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Gets expensive for one buck. Dang Texans hahaha just kidding man it’s all about doing what you enjoy!
That one deer he takes may cost from $20,000- $30,000 in Tx on a private ranch.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
That one deer he takes may cost from $20,000- $30,000 in Tx on a private ranch.
I absolutely believe it I have looked up prices just for fun here recently. The time he puts in on managing his property he is definitely working for that one buck! Like I said it’s all about doing what you enjoy! if I lived in Texas I would want to come here any chance I could!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Public land is virtually non existent in Texas.
There’s actually 825,000 acres of public hunting land in TX.
Gets expensive for one buck. Dang Texans hahaha just kidding man it’s all about doing what you enjoy!
The licenses and feed are actually the cheap part of my OK hunting experience. I also have a house note, property taxes, insurance, utilities, up keep, and then there’s the travel expenses to and from (generally around 1000 miles round trip). Like you said though, it’s all about doing what I enjoy AND having a wife that understands.;)

I bought the house up there in April of 2019, and my wife didn’t see it in person until November of 2020. She’s only seen my land 4 times in the almost 20 years I’ve been hunting it. It’s not that she doesn’t like the place, but hunting and fishing just isn’t her thing.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I didn’t know Texas had that much public hunting land I thought most of the state was privately owned. Heck it sounds like you got yourself a great woman better keep her happy! What is it that made you want to buy property in Oklahoma vs purchasing something in Texas? The drive alone with gas prices would cost you a pretty penny!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I understand the dilemma owning your own land and still paying high fees. I just paid around $600 for tags and licenses for one week of mule deer hunting in Colorado...so...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts