Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ready for September get here so I can start hunting again.I can't wait till teal and early resident goose season get here. I like to fish but haven't had much tim to do so. SO WHO ELSE IS GETTING CABIN FEVER WITH WHACKY WEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Fishing has been good to great.
Yet,I'm ready for Doves, Ducks & Geese come Sept,1,2010'.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
fishing is just something to fill in the time between hunting seasons for me.
I've been off for 4 days now, and the rain won't quit long enough to get out.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Same around here.
Yet have had breaks in rain long enough to wet a line.
Nothing big enough to eat or keep but still fun to catch.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I have been on leave on the 18th of last month and today being my last I only got 2 days of fishing in. But I babysit my grandson who will be a month on Friday was more important than fishing over the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I made a trip to a city lake yesterday. Was their 10 min with 2 lines in when the sky opened up on us. Had 2 bites is all. My battery stopped workn but I finally got it to start only to get stuck in a rut 10' from the road. Called the wife she came and pulled me out. My truck sank half way down the rims in the 30 min it took her to get to us the ground was so soggy. We ended up pulling 2 other rigs out as well. Was crazy how fast the ground got soft.

I can't wait for Sep 1st. Ya know its only 57 days, 7 hours, 54 minutes and 27 seconds away.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Same around here.
Yet have had breaks in rain long enough to wet a line.
Nothing big enough to eat or keep but still fun to catch.
I've made it to the pond once, and the lake once to use the fly rod to catch some perch for bait, but both times got rained out..
I Have a road trip scheduled to Powder Valley in the AM to buy powder, and bullets, so when I get back, I don't care if it pouring down, I'm puttin on the rain gear and going to Lake Ponca. Great Fly fishing lake for perch.
Lightning would be the only thing kepping me home.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Did some fishing up in Wisconson, something I've never done...fished in a cranberry bog lake. Was tryin like heck to catch a pike but all I got was bass.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Im gearing up for bear season that opens August 1. I have to work that day however I will be out in the woods about an hour after I get out of work. I have been tracking one particular spot for bear through out the spring. This Thursday I plan to go out one more time and see if he is still hanging around.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Im gearing up for bear season that opens August 1. I have to work that day however I will be out in the woods about an hour after I get out of work. I have been tracking one particular spot for bear through out the spring. This Thursday I plan to go out one more time and see if he is still hanging around.
You stalking bear!!! Now your speak'n my hunting language.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
If any of y'all got a stick and string you can always make a trip out to California. The coastal A-zone bow deer season opened up July 10th. Word of caution as i have hunted it. ITS FRIGGEN HOT HOT HOT AND THATS TEMP HOT!!!!

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
It would take an act of congress, and a threat to put me in jail, to get me to go out to commiefornia. I spent way too much time out there in the 70's in the military, and the 90's moving one of our companies machinery to Ponca after we shut down that plant.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If any of y'all got a stick and string you can always make a trip out to California. The coastal A-zone bow deer season opened up July 10th. Word of caution as i have hunted it. ITS FRIGGEN HOT HOT HOT AND THATS TEMP HOT!!!!
When I lived in Ca I hunted A zone in late July and got a nice fork black tail deer with string and stick. I had to move quick to get it dressed. It was over 90degrees. Hauling her out through very thick poison Oak up a rivine was no treat either but fortunately poison oak does not get to me.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Its the only way to hunt bear here in Or. No dogs allowed and no bait either. Ill be out in the woods with my string and stick with a 500 mag for back up on my hip.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Its the only way to hunt bear here in Or. No dogs allowed and no bait either. Ill be out in the woods with my string and stick with a 500 mag for back up on my hip.
When ya going? I'll be wait'n at the end of the drive for you. I HATE OKLAHOMA AND THE LACK OF BEAR. Don't get me wrong yes they just had the first season. But only 1 piece of public land sits in the hunting zone and well its covered in bear hunter sign vs bear.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When ya going? I'll be wait'n at the end of the drive for you. I HATE OKLAHOMA AND THE LACK OF BEAR. Don't get me wrong yes they just had the first season. But only 1 piece of public land sits in the hunting zone and well its covered in bear hunter sign vs bear.
Im taking 2 weeks off beginning of September for elk, bear and deer. However I will be out for bear most every day once opening day happens on Aug 1. I work swings so and live about 20 minutes from the woods I hunt, so I have the luxery of hitting the woods in the mornings before work. If youre seriouse about coming out here to hunt with me PM me and we can discuss details.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Lord how I'd love to but I can't.

I've been trying to get me a bear for 10 years and failed. Hell I have only see one live bear in the wild and that was a brown bear last year in Alaska. I did find a dead bear once. The small and flies gave it away. I've been so close I could almost poke'm with a stick before but just didn't work out.
Had a buddy less than 100y from me stop for a #2 and while doing his thing a cub showed up and started messing with him. I tried to kick it away lost his ballance and went head over heel down the ridge with pants around his ankles and poo all over him. Had'm sleep next to the campfire at night while we was in the tent 20' away. Only to find the scat and tracks in the morning. Had'm step in my own tracks after I had passed through the area. Seen fresh steaming scat piles in the morning. I just don't have the luck. But I'm working the wife on a guided hunt. Maybe IDAHO as you can get 2 bear a season.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bull-Go back to CA & hunt up above Bass Lake or Mammoth pools.
Easy bear hunting 99.9% in getting ya one.
Hunted every season up their & took more bear then deer.
9 bear- 0 deer due to 10,000 so called deer hunters. {D-zone D-7}.
Only killed 2 deer in D-7 a 2x2 Colombian BlackTail with the 44 mag & 3x2 Muley X BlackTail mix with Archery.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts