Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all people, my old buddy Sasakwa is really trying to do me in.
Knowing that I've got 300 acres to get ready to plant wheat, 40+ hours a week at the plant, food plots to get ready, a throw-out bearing to replace on a tractor, a bearing and some blades to replace on a disk, & hunting seasons less than a month away, He does this to me!

He gave me a genuine *******/hillbilly model 12 Winchester shotgun. ;D Knowing my inability to have anything, especially a gun in a non operating condition thats not appealing to the eye, he knowingly and willingly put it in my hands, and said "do with it what you want". :-*
We looked it up, and it was built in 1928, the same year my dad was born. Its not a shooter yet, as the slide won't lock up, but in looking at it, thats fixable with a spring I'm thinking. ;)

The real challenge is going to be in the stock. This is where the *******/hillbilly comes in....... somebody tried to refinish the stock, and did an extremely poor job with sanding marks all over the wood, and a buttstock you won't believe. If I told you, you would say I'm lying, so here are the pics. The buttstock is make of the belting material used on old tractors, or maybe old brake lining. I don't know for sure

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I really like the customized recoil pad screws, not everybody has a slotted AND a phillips head screw on theirs. But I'm sure somebody is gonna "cityfy" that fine firearm. Prob'ly get er all slick and shiney where a squirrel can see it a'commin' from a section away.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
with a really tight full choke, I'm thinking turkey gun come spring?
There is not a piece of that gun that is not available on the net. They even have exotic wood stocks made on the same machines that Winchester used to make them with, so that makes them "original issue" as far a collector is concerned. (The collector would be me). Its going to be a fun project I'm thinking. My only concern is the brazing I can see where the stock fits the receiver. Haven't taken the buttstock apart yet to see why that was done, but I'm betting it came loose, and cracked, or broke the tang. I'll keep some pics posted as it progresses. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Should be a nice project gun to restore.
With it been close to 90 years old.
It has some of the same look as a Browning B.P.S.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I may spend more than its worth on the market to put it back in 1st class shape, but, to me its worth it. I love old guns, and restoration projects ;D

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm just trying to give him something to do...Don't let him fool yall...The 40 hours a week working stuff is a real laugher..He and I may spend 40 hours a week at work...but some of that is shooting the bull...checking food plots....and nature tours...all of which is an important part of each day...besides that..I figure he can stay home and rub on the ole Model 12 instead of spending so much time deer hunting...it may give the rest of us a better chance on the contest..anyway...I'm glad someone noticed the custom recoil pad...with the custom screws...I told Dennis about the gun and told him he could have it...When I retrieved it from the barn that night and noticed the hand made, custom fitted recoil pad, I really wanted to back out...but my word is good...Man ....I never had such an awesome recoil pad...then me and my mouth gave it away...

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That'll learn ya ;) ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Must be ruff ya 2.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Yea Gauge it's rough but someone has to do it...no really...not so much me but our ole Buddy Dennis...sometimes he comes in my little office looking really,really hot and I almost feel sorry for him....now that's (sometimes) and don't overlook the word (ALMOST)..no...really...there is work areas here at the plant that will easily be around the 140 to 150 mark...I know I use to operate an overhead crane here at work and on one job the thermometer that I had in the cab read 138 ..I was told to take it down that we didn't need to know how hot is was..anyway, back to hunting...thanks for getting all this together..I really look forward to seeing what other guys harvest.....I feel sorry for the team that got stuck with me....but I'll try to do something...Maybe I'll get lucky...

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to stay home today to talk to the NRCS agent at Medford. Seems they are going to run that big pipeline thats going between Canada and Cushing Ok across a corner of one of the farms. They are going to pay me what I got for crop this season and I don't have to plant anything in that area for winter wheat this year. I sure hope they get done before turkey season next year.....thats where all the multi-beards come from.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Sure rub it in Dennis with them super chickens.

Sasakwa-your welcome. 138 degrees,u must of lost weight fast.
This heat we have been having is killing me at 109 degrees.
It just drains ya.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
Yep it's Aug in Ok, I do hope it cools down by Oct.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sure rub it in Dennis with them super chickens.

Sasakwa-your welcome. 138 degrees,u must of lost weight fast.
This heat we have been having is killing me at 109 degrees.
It just drains ya.

Yea Gauge...It will really drain ya...where the crane is located it can be around 0 degrees outside and it will be good short sleeve temp on the inside...that means during the summer it is double get down damn hot....it's all because we have two big 550 megawatt turbines running around 2000 degrees in the same room...stay cool today Brother.......Sasakwa

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I wish Ray.
I got to work outside everyday.Rain or shine. :mad:
It would be nice to call it a day come 1:00 p.m. in the summer time.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wish Ray.
I got to work outside everyday.Rain or shine. :mad:
It would be nice to call it a day come 1:00 p.m. in the summer time.

Yea Gauge, this is my least favorite season..the only thing good about the dog days of Summer is the fall hunting season is coming up..I will be the first to admit that I am very fortunate to have the job I have with nothing but a highschool education...I feel I've paid my dues as far as the hot nasty work but there are lots of guys out there that have paid their dues also and are still getting hot everyday...The only thing I can figure is my highschool education came from Sasakwa....That has to count for something...man...what a town!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
My job takes up a lot of free time that I might have being on call 24-7 but every other weekend.
Sure wish..The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife would call with good news.
I took & passed their test last March.Filled out the application & waiting for a job to come open.
The wait is killing me.I need a new job,I love to go to each day.
Cause the one, I got just pays the bills if that & nothing else.

·
Administrator
13,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Guage, I sure hope you get the call. It would be awsome to work a dream job.
My dream job out of high school was a marine biologist In the fashion of Jacque Cousteau. He just started his TV series at the advent of good, safe SCUBA equipment. I went to College in 1970 but soon found out that there were almost no jobs available in that field, especially from Ok. :'(
Lost interest in school and quickly found out that Uncle Sam didn't lose interest in me as far as the draft was concerned. :'( Went thru some nasty #### in SE Asia, but have earned my living from my military education ever since ;D ;D
Never worked my dream, but sure hope you get to ;)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Thanks Dennis.
I'm still holding on.
I just hope,I don't have to retake the exam again this March & wait again to be picked up.
That State Exam is no joke...no way to study for it,You just got to take it & see what your up against.

If all works out it will be a dream come true.

If things go realy well here in the near future,I will start my own ranch & guide service.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts