Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC has not been work for about 2 wks now :-[ :-[ :-[ . The people who came and put in a new air handler unit in and still no AC!!!! that set me back $1500. I am a little P.O'ed right now. I have window unit i the kitchen and 4 fans going and still no relief for the house except in the kitchen. Now I have to wait till Tuesday for them come and look at it again :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
That sucks big time. The AC company you hired should have verified that the temp coming from your ducts met the minimum, before they left.
That little test would have alerted them to different problems. Be cautious if they want to charge more. :mad:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out that the compressor was not kicking on and a $24 part was what I needed but it still needs freon. We put the part on ourself.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I feel your pain. Last year ours went out the day after my son came home from the hospital with pneumonia. They changed a part outside that looked like a battery pack then the next day the fan motor went out. Took 3 more days to get that fixed.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
I feel your pain. Last year ours went out the day after my son came home from the hospital with pneumonia. They changed a part outside that looked like a battery pack then the next day the fan motor went out. Took 3 more days to get that fixed.
That "battery pack" was a quick start package of capacitors that will give an extra boost to the compressor for start up.

I had to put one on my moms unit the other day.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Dennis you are correct it was the capacitor. Couldn't remember the exact name. Thanks for the refresher.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Next time, and let's hope there is not a next time, a fan motor goes out give me a hollar. Fan motors are an easy swap out and usually not that expensive if you do it yourself. Just a componet R&R as it's known in the aircraft mech world.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was what is for ours. It was the motor Run Capcitator

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
That was what is for ours. It was the motor Run Capcitator
Most common thing to happen this time of year.
All compressor Manufacturers reccomend a period of three to five minutes between the time the compressor stops, and when it needs to restart, to allow the freon to bleed down and allow the compressor to not have high head pressure on the restart. Hot summers will make the compressor cycle faster, causing too much amperage to the capacitor, resulting in it failing. The replacment is rated for a higher amperage.

All that being said, the manufacturers know this, and refuse to put a timer, or pressure switch, into the circuit, to delay the cycle times, resulting in what you are experiencing.
A $20 modification when they build them would stop all of this. :mad: :mad:

It does keep the repair companies in business though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts