Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

I just got cows!

496 Views 28 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  murphranch
So I’ve been working with a guy who is leasing land two properties down from mine. Talked to him a while back about running some cattle on my 2 acre field and he was game. Originally had considered letting him run cattle in exchange for 1 beef per year or something like that. Instead he talked me into just buying my own cows. He used a lot of his own materials and put in even more time than me in putting the fencing up. Helped me clear things out. So what we agreed on was me buying only cows and heifers and letting me breed them with his bulls. He took me Sunday in his truck and trailer to just north of Wichita to pick up three head. His property he's leasing backs up to my field so he put in a gate and now we can keep bulls and cows/heifers separate until we’re ready to breed them. He’s been super generous and has been teaching me a lot. So I am officially a cattle owner and I love it! Here are my 3 head.

Working animal Liver Terrestrial animal Fawn Bull

Eye Working animal Ear Natural material Terrestrial animal
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
That is awesome. I just bought 23 acres. I didn’t even think about managing the grass going into the purchase, but it is a reality now.

I am super jealous.
Reactions: 4
That is awesome. I just bought 23 acres. I didn’t even think about managing the grass going into the purchase, but it is a reality now.

I am super jealous.
don’t be jealous of me. I’m jealous of you and your 23 acres lol. You can make one heck of a shooting range!!!
Reactions: 3
Congratulations man! You’ve got to give thanks for decent people, they are still around just few and far between. Sounds like you guys might have a pretty good partnership worked out and steaks are on the way! Good luck!
Thanks man! Yeah him and his wife are just super nice people. I tried giving him $200 for fuel and he wouldn’t take it. He even was the one looking for cows for me. I didn’t know anything about this until I talked to him. He’s picking me and the cows up this weekend to take them to get vet checked and what not. He said me letting him use my land is super helpful to him and he’s more than happy to help with transport. Anyways, very glad there are quality people out there who aren’t just looking to take advantage of someone else every chance they get.
That’s awesome sounds like it will be beneficial for everyone.
Three cows, wow! All you need now is the hat and boots you will be a cattle baron.

I think you are about to find out how much work goes in to raising cattle.
Reactions: 5
I know I am! But I’m super excited. If I could make a living doing it I’d be a farmer full time. My grandpa was a dairy farmer all his life in Minnesota and my uncle ran cattle. It’s in my blood. I also want my kids to appreciate farming culture in this world of instant gratification and technology. They need to learn to take care of something else other than just themselves.
Those are some good looking girls. What breed of bull does your neighbor use?
So he does only mid size Herefords. That’s what I bought Sunday too.
Congrats on getting some livestock and a generous neighbor!
I ran cattle for several years but finally quit. The land is 45 miles away so it was a chore to make sure they had water and cubes.
With the technology we have today, I’d have automatic feeders and a cellular cam on them to make sure the feeders were operating correctly.
I think our neighbor here is going to be in trouble shortly. He has about 30 head on a quarter with only a pond for water. There is only 6” of water left in the pond with the drought, and it’s small.
If we don’t get some runoff rain pretty quick to refill that pond, he’s going to need to either move them or truck in water to fill that pond.
  • Sad
Yeah I wouldn’t even consider doing that unless it was my actual full time job and I treated going to the property like driving to work. For us, our field is a few hundred feet behind our house. I just need to trench a waterline underground to one of those frost free upright spigots. And since my cow guy does live further out I’m able to check on his cows too.

If i was your neighbor I’d probably have a tank of water delivered asap. That can be scary!
Yeah I wouldn’t even consider doing that unless it was my actual full time job and I treated going to the property like driving to work. For us, our field is a few hundred feet behind our house. I just need to trench a waterline underground to one of those frost free upright spigots. And since my cow guy does live further out I’m able to check on his cows too.

If i was your neighbor I’d probably have a tank of water delivered asap. That can be scary!
When you put in your hydrant, there are automatic tank fillers you can attach to the watering tank that have a float to fill it automatically. If it's away from the house, put a white milk jug in there that will float on the surface so you can get a visual on the tank being full. If you can't see the float, it's time to check out why not.
When you put in your hydrant, there are automatic tank fillers you can attach to the watering tank that have a float to fill it automatically. If it's away from the house, put a white milk jug in there that will float on the surface so you can get a visual on the tank being full. If you can't see the float, it's time to check out why not.
That’s a great idea! Cuz where I’ll have the water I can see from my bedroom window. I like that. Sort of hands off
Nothing better than good neighbors

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That’s a great idea! Cuz where I’ll have the water I can see from my bedroom window. I like that. Sort of hands off
A couple catfish and some floating catfish food in the watering tank can provide some meals later on as well. ;)
I caught a couple the other day and put them in buddy's tank.
Reactions: 2
With the snows rapidly melting and everything greening up the ranchers are rapidly free ranging again. I’m guess from my trip south on Friday a good 1k head have been put to pasture already.
With the snows rapidly melting and everything greening up the ranchers are rapidly free ranging again. I’m guess from my trip south on Friday a good 1k head have been put to pasture already.
Our summers in Colorado are similar to yours I'm sure. The cattle are just let go in the mountains with brands. In the fall before the snows, cowboys on horseback go up, round up the cattle and bring them to pens where they are sorted by brand and claimed by the owners. No fences anywhere.
Our summers in Colorado are similar to yours I'm sure. The cattle are just let go in the mountains with brands. In the fall before the snows, cowboys on horseback go up, round up the cattle and bring them to pens where they are sorted by brand and claimed by the owners. No fences anywhere.
They also sport owner ear tags as well. I usually see 3-4 different colors each year up in the Forrest. many have the owners name on them. That’s one way I was able to find the owner of a bull I found 2 years ago that had been attacked and was severely wounded.
My bait sites get trashed from the cows rubbing on the logs on my backstops. I have to shew them away while hunting. Usually take a pocket full of rocks into the stand and toss at them.
Reactions: 1
They also sport owner ear tags as well. I usually see 3-4 different colors each year up in the Forrest. many have the owners name on them. That’s one way I was able to find the owner of a bull I found 2 years ago that had been attacked and was severely wounded.
My bait sites get trashed from the cows rubbing on the logs on my backstops. I have to shew them away while hunting. Usually take a pocket full of rocks into the stand and toss at them.
Same when I'm hunting. Does don't want to leave at night so I can get down from the stand and leave, so I pitch old water bottles out the window so something like a human doesn't disturb them.
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 29 Posts