Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my boss's son, Steven along with me to show him the rope's of deep woods deer hunting.
It was a good half mile walk in to where, I wanted to go & get away from the other two vehicles we seen driving in this morning.
Close to 8:30a.m. we found a spot to sit down & wait. We arrived @ 8:00 a.m.-Took 30 minutes to walk in.
Seen several new rubs & close to 10 trails in the heart of this spot.
Only about 30 minutes or less went by & out stepped a doe @ around 100 yards.
Asked my boss's son you see her? Nope. You see her now? Nope. Well then plug your ear Steven.(Was gonna let him shoot her.)
She got smoked like she got hit by a freight train. ;D ;D

Well the shot was right @ 90 yards.
Here's the photo.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Way to go!! Congrates!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks y'all.
This part time work is killing us.I got to get as much wild game in freezer as possible this season.
Deer gun season has been great so far...Been out twice with 4 hours spent in the woods & 1 down 2 to go. 8)
I thought,I'd never say it... Yet waterfowl seasons will have to take a back seat this season to deer seasons. ??? ??? ::) ::) :-X

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Are there chokes for slugs for a 870 Remington? I would like to use mine. Or would it be better to buy a barrle?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Nice doe Guage! Good eating there ;D

Are there chokes for slugs for a 870 Remington? I would like to use mine. Or would it be better to buy a barrle?
The world of shotgun slug hunting has really evolved in the last couple of years. You can buy slugs that don't need rifling, chokes that provide a basic rifling, and full rifled barrels.
You answer is going to be what is good for you and your budget. The full length rifled barrels with the right ammo are good to 200 yds if one really does the practice.

Several years ago, a gun writer did a test of "brush buster" calibers that have been around since the beginning of time.
He set up a target at 100 yds with 1/4" dowell rods in front of the bullseye.
The ONLY rounds that "busted the brush" were the 12 ga slug, and the .50BMG.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dennis thanks buddy.

Baby- if you a have a smooth bore 870. All you need is a Skeet or Cylinder Rem Choke.
Ammo for all over cost & accuracy out to 100 yards with just a brass bead for a sight.- Brenneke K.O.'s -1oz- 2 3/4" Rifled slugs.

I use the 3" Winchester Rack Masters in my 11-87 Super Magnum smooth bore with a skeet choke tube...
also mine has rifle sights.It's dead on for 150 yards & I could push it to 200 yards easy. Just don't need it.

My only slug gun set up till recently has been a...Rem 870 w/Skeet rem choke...smooth bore...white bead on front & the Brenneke K.O.'s..Dead on accuracy @100 yards.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks Guage. I like my 870. I shoot it well. I also have a Savage 110 30-06 and a .50cal ML. I will look into getting those chokes for my 870.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your welcome.
I don't have private land to hunt for deer.
So the slug gun is the choice for me & has been for over 12 years now.
Most of the place's, I have to hunt don't offer shot's much over 75 yards.
If your looking for a up grade get the rifled barrel with the top drilled & tapped for scope mounts.
You can get a 250 yard slug gun out of that combo along with Hornady SST slugs.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Nice doe, glad to see you're gettin your money's worth outta the new slug gun.

Dennis, guess slug guns had to evolve to the point they are now as some states like Iowa, I believe, only allow slug gun hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks brother Bird.
It was a B-Day present along with the ammo that feeds it.
Of course you already knew that though.

O' and don't try sneaking off with it come turkey season either. ;D ;D ;D 8)

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Dennis, guess slug guns had to evolve to the point they are now as some states like Iowa, I believe, only allow slug gun hunting.
Last time I was up in Iowa several years ago, it was slug only, and if you wanted to bird hunt, and didn't have private land, you could not fire your shotgun at less than 45 degrees. I wasn't hunting, but talked to a guy that was in a hunt club. It was their club rules, as the area was so crowded.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
What me sneak off with a slug gun, naw never!!!! Well maybe just once!

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If we leave in the early morning to hunt you will probably swap guns out & say nothing till that toms walks in. ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Congrats again on the doe.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
My silence isn't that I'm trying to sneak anything by ya, just being stealthy.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Figured. ;D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts