Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to vent a bit so excuse my bitterness. Its been one of those bend over and take it up the tail pipe followed by a kick to the junk sorta days.

I showed up to work at 1pm only to find out we are going to 12 on 12 off shifts starting today or tonight. If that wasn't bad enough the day shift left after an 8 hour day and said we was to stay till 0600 when they get in. Um gee let me do the math here 8 hours for them and 17 hours for us. I see an issue with this, a big one at that. After I got screwed and pulled an 18 hour shift Friday into Sat and another 14 on Sunday. But if that wasn't bad enough we "THE NIGHT SHIFT" will work Sunday-Friday 6pm-6am. So let me get this right we work a 6 day week and the day shift works a 5 day week. Hold the phone and WT* is up with that!!! I don't even get a say in what shift I'll be working and I'm the #2 man in my shop.

That's the tail pipe part. here's the kick in the junk.

So then I get an email to go see my Career Counselor. OK no big deal. He tells me that next month I start my PTS window.(Perform to serve. The navy is sending everyone E-6 and below with under 14 years through it. Basically the Navy is down sizing and booting people out. When you have 13 months left of your enlistment they review your records, rank, time in service, your rate (job), your crio group (20y divided by 4=4 crio groups less than 5y=crio A, 10y=Crio B and so on) and its manning levels based on TIS, rank, crio group and job and determine if they still need you or send you packing when your enlistment is up. In some cases they will let you crossrate to a new job that is undermanned). OK I knew I was up for it starting next month no big deal. Well then I get the kick. I'm an E-6, will have 13 years this Dec and am a crio C (less than 15y but more than 10y). Right now they are not PTS approving ANYONE for my job that is a crio C , in fact we are 132% manned. In the last 3 months they have denied 56 in my PTS group for there 6th time. I know 2 of them. So each month my Career Counselor will submit my info to the big dogs in Millington, TN that are behind this PTS "BS" who make the approval selections. I can be rolled over 6 times only (not approved but still a chance next month) after the 6th its over.

So as it stands with this PTS if I'm rolled over 6 times that puts me into March and my enlistment is up in Oct. I can not reenlist unless I'm PTS approved. So what does that mean for me. I OUT OF A JOB AND AND THE NAVY COME OCTOBER OF 2011 IF DENIED A 6th TIME. Yup that's right that gives me 6 months to figure out what the he!! I'm gonna for a job and money. That means that at that point the 13 years 10 months I gave the Navy is over and I can't do a *#^king thing about it. Its straight up have a nice life goodbye. I get no severance for it. I'm out high and dry with an honorable discharge provided I can keep my cool about everything and dont go crazy.

The only up side is if I am approved then I can re-up and I will for another 6 years to give me my 20. I was passed up for E-7 last month. If I had been selected then this PTS wouldn't even matter.

Right now 2 guys that work for me are getting the ax one E-3 in 2 months the other an E-4 in 4 months.

So between the long hours I'm having to do and the stress of not knowing what my future holds with lack of sleep I'm a nervous wreck and a ticking time bomb. I called my wife and told her the situation and needless to say she flipped out and lost.

If anyone has a four leaf clover, lucky rabbit foot or just some plain good luck and can pass some my way I need. it. The next 7 months could be total he!!

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
We went through a deal like that after Vietnam. Lots of people in the military and they needed to thin the ranks. Pretty much, they went after the people that were overweight. Everybody had to do a physical, and if over weight, they gave you a certain length of time of shape up and loose the weight.
There were some 15 year people I know of that went out the door.
I sure hope you can get through this round, and get locked in.
With all the hours your working, its hard to imagine your 138% overstaffed.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't even know what to say.That is a pretty heavy load to have to deal with.Put on a jock strap with a metal cup and maybe they will break their foot when they kick. :D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well, that sucks big time.
If things go well around here & you get the boot..I might have a job for ya.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that sucks big time.
If things go well around here & you get the boot..I might have a job for ya.

If its what I'm thinking it would be a dream come true. I want nothing to do with Aviation when I'm done.

As far as being 132% over manned. This across the board Navy wide for an E-6 with my job with 10-14 years of service not just here where I work. Advancement to E-7 was good this year with 76 out of just over 600 that made it to the board for my job.

My wife and I had a really good talk today and are planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I'm going back to school as I have 3 classes left for an Associates but its in Aviation. I will persure a degree in a biology of some sort like Environmental management or wildlife management.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Or might I suggest usajobs.gov. If you got a civil service job, you could buy back your active duty time, so it'd count for your civi job on time and leave and such. Make good money, good retirement and health insurance. Then in a few years when the puss drains from the wound, look at navy reserves or something like that to get your twenty for an extra retirement.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Or might I suggest usajobs.gov. If you got a civil service job, you could buy back your active duty time, so it'd count for your civi job on time and leave and such. Make good money, good retirement and health insurance. Then in a few years when the puss drains from the wound, look at navy reserves or something like that to get your twenty for an extra retirement.
+1 on this advice. Your mil duty counts points toward the civil service jobs. Somebody with that many years, could very well be a shoe-in.
This is what I did after active duty. I only had 6 years active duty, but a civil service job came up in the same communications unit I was serving in. Left one friday in uniform, and had a sport shirt and tie on Monday.
It was a great gig until the ex, decided to move back to Ponca and take the kids. She was so homesick.(she said) If I would have know the future, I would have dumped her then and went on with my life. By the way, she didn't really want the kids but used them against me a couple of years later before bailing out without them. I raised both of my boys as a single dad until Linda came along when they were in High school. I stayed in the Army reserve until getting 16 years in, when some Pi$$ ignorant lib Major came to be our CO. We went to summer camp at Ft Lenoward Missouri on summer, and all of a sudden he said I couldn't ride my Gold Wing up there, and had to ride the bus. Told him to KMA, and showed up the next day. He tried to get the MP's to confiscate my ride, [but there was nothing they could do.
At the end of the summer camp he told me that he would make my life miserable when we got back to Ponca. He was so PI$$ ignorant, he didn't know VN vets were in the reserves by their choice, and not by regulation, no matter how long the enlistment was. We could quit on any day or time of our choosing.
I bailed out the next meeting as I had a great job, and didn't need the extra money, but looking back, I wish I would have done the time. That retirment would have been sweet with the one I'm looking at now.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna do what I'm currently doing and see what happens in the next couple of months. I'll die of a heart attack or stroke if I let it eat me appart 24/7. I told the wife if they give me an option to change jobs I'm going to try and become a Gunners Mate and work on getting my gunsmithing license at the Gov's dime as GM's have a gunsmithing school they can go to. I just have to hope and pray for the best.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
I'm gonna do what I'm currently doing and see what happens in the next couple of months. I'll die of a heart attack or stroke if I let it eat me appart 24/7. I told the wife if they give me an option to change jobs I'm going to try and become a Gunners Mate and work on getting my gunsmithing license at the Gov's dime as GM's have a gunsmithing school they can go to. I just have to hope and pray for the best.
You may be suprised at how good that may turn out.
Good Gunsmiths are hard to find, and easy to weed out if they are bad.
Okla has a college that gives a degree in gunsmithing that the Gov would pay for. Is this the training your talking about?

The only good gunsmith we have in Ponca is wanting to retire, but he is hesitant because of his years of giving good service to people he has developed a relationship with.
I really thought about doing an apprenticeship with him, and taking over his business when I retire in about 3 years, but he is wanting out before then.
We have two other "gunsmiths" in ponca that have ruined more guns than they have fixed.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I really don't know if the GS school here in OK is the same one. I know they offer the chance for it. But again I must wait and see what happens. I'm supposed to have this Saterday off and if it happens I'm taking the wife and kids and getting the heck outa dodge for the day. Will likely take the boat and go fishing someplace and just hang out.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
SE Ok St in Talequah has one of the best gunsmithing schools in the country. Honcho went to one of their summer courses on Ar15.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I was their I need change. I thought this new guy in the big house promised it. I'm back on yet another shift but atleast they called off the 12 on 12 off garbage. Now I'm just 2200-0700 Sunday-Thursday.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
2200-0700 the best hours to be at Tinker.....11yrs on graveyard across the runway from ya on 135's.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is nice an quiet but make for bad sleeping when your up all day doing stuff around the house.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I liked it cause I could get errands run in town and be in bed for a nice cozy sleep. Then get up around 4-5 when the kids got in and were ready to romp around. Watch a bit of tv, and when everyone was ready for bed, I went to work.

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I liked it cause I could get errands run in town and be in bed for a nice cozy sleep. Then get up around 4-5 when the kids got in and were ready to romp around. Watch a bit of tv, and when everyone was ready for bed, I went to work.
Sounds like my normal day.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Yeah it was a neat lifestyle, and it paid more than the dayshift grind!

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well I could really care less what shift I work just as lone I'm given some notice of a shift change. Lately its been a total BS routine around here. We have an all hands meeting on Saturday at 0800 the reason will be made know then. They also scheduled flights on Monday so a 3 day weekend wass out of the question. I love it in this will be 3 weekend in a row I have had to come in and work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.