Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My day off, woke up at 5am, and decided to hook onto the boat, and hit Kaw again.
Got there before daylight, and launched.
The water was alive with shad and baitfish, so I started trolling to locate a school.
found a huge school, so I dropped a bouy, and started using a slab to jig the fish. I was catching one about every two minutes or so, when a boat with three guys came around the corner. They came right in, and stopped not an arms length away from where I was fishing and dropped their tackle right where I was at. The guy at the helm talked to somebody on a radio, and another boat with three big ol boys came and parked on the other side of me. I was pissed, and jerked my bouy out of the water, fired up and left at full throttle. It was small fish, so nothing lost.
Went around the corner, and found another school 300 yds away. Started fishing it, and the next thing I know, the two boats are heading right toward me! I pulled my bouy again and left. They sat on that spot for awhile, before going into Kaw City marina. I guess it got too hot for them. Went back to the original spot, put three nice keepers in the boat, and went home.
Some days you just want to put a whuppin on some people....

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
That's where you put a 1/4lb weight on and start casting wild as hell! Send one or two right by their beer intake hole and mutter "Oh sorry, just learning how to cast."

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Some people are just plain a***hole and don't give a crap. If it was me i would have told them to leave and find another spot but that is just me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, If it would have been me I would have done exactly what Dennis done..Now go back about 35 years and I promise it would have been different. Pretty well the same thing happened to myself and my youngest son in Alaska a few weeks ago. Seems another boat captain had a problem with where we were anchored. My youngest son told him we were anchored in the F word ocean and invited him to bring his fat a$$ over to our boat to discuss his problems. The guy declined and was still mumbling to himself and his clients when he went out of sight. He was trying to be tuff in front of his 500 dollar a day clients and it sure didn't pan out the way he intended. But back to Dennis..You done the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
I would have put on a treble hook cast in there lines reeled up and cut them loose. Ive dont it before after words failed. But when out numbered it is better to move on.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm pretty generous by nature, and I do realize the water and fish are owned by the people of ok. , so they legally did no wrong. Had they pulled up, held their distance and asked if they could pull in, they would have got an invite. Since I was by myself, some conversation would have been ok and I might have learned something, but just getting into my space uninvited, was rude and uncalled for.
A little courtesy goes a long way. And sadly it seems to be lacking in some folks these days.

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Same can be said for the deer woods as well. It's people like that that have caused so many land owners to not let people hunt on there land anymore.

I also read today about the dandy 10.4lb 28" hybrid taken from Kaw recently. Where was he when we was fishing.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was a striper.
I have a pic of a 9lb 10oz hybrid on my phone that was caught at the swimming beach area.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Happens all the time here in Texas, on my home lake (Cedar Creek) we have a lot of regulars that can't find fish except by watching someone else catch one. If you are fishing on the weekend for sand bass & hybrids, there is no way you will get more than 2 or 3 fish in the boat without someone else coming in on you. You just have to get used to it here or you will do nothing but be pissed all the time. When I'm fishing a brushpile for crappie, I will tell them to get lost, a brushpile is stationary & usually too small for more than one boat, schooling fish are always on the move.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Happens all the time here in Texas, on my home lake (Cedar Creek) we have a lot of regulars that can't find fish except by watching someone else catch one. If you are fishing on the weekend for sand bass & hybrids, there is no way you will get more than 2 or 3 fish in the boat without someone else coming in on you. You just have to get used to it here or you will do nothing but be pissed all the time. When I'm fishing a brushpile for crappie, I will tell them to get lost, a brushpile is stationary & usually too small for more than one boat, schooling fish are always on the move.
I'm sure it goes on at every lake. I talked to a guide on lake Texoma at a show. He said it used to piss him off that folks would follow him around when he had clients. He said if they were going to do it, he might as well make some money off of it, so he charged a $25 tag-along fee. For that fee, they got to use his live shad, and didn't get finger gestures or dirty looks from him.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am really working on the turn the other cheek and kindness thing. But I have to admit I carry a 1oz treble hook for just said occasions. And it good for bouncing off the side of there boat as well also tends to make jet skiers very uneasy when they get to close as well..

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hate to tell you my friend, but when it comes to idiots and stupidity, YOU'RE ALWAYS OUTNUMBERED!

We used have a term for that when I was a kid, although being older and now wiser, I'll choose not to say it! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts