Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left work to go turkey hunting on a spot where I've taken turkey for many years.

Here is some history. Its river bottom land. I have 65 acres of wheat on it, and some timber along the river bank.
This year with wheat predicted to be high, I wanted to do a test plot of some new variety of wheat, that put out 52 bushels per acre. Did all of the soil testing, put in the fertilizer at the recommended rate, (at $425 a ton, with several tons put down) put in the wheat, and last week its lush green.
Today, going out turkey hunting, I walked into the field where its knee high now, and as I walked further into the field, it was turning yellow and wilting. The further I walked, the worse it got. I finally realized that the jerk to the north of the fence line that raises corn has sprayed his field and got a really good kill on mine. :mad: :mad:

We are talking serious money here...... not chump change. :mad:

The guy has a spray rig business, so he knows better. Three years ago he hired a dozer to put a trench on his place, and had a 30' cattle trailer full of partialially full chemicals parked next to it that I saw through binoculars. Called DEQ, and they shut him down. He was going to bury the crap, and have it leach into the river over time.......BS!!!

I left the field and drove to his house, to confront the jerk and get what justice I could, but nobody answered the door.

Now I don't know what to do. I'm calling DEQ in the morning, but I don't know what they can do.

I know what I want to do :mad:

I did take pics.

Here is my knee high wheat, in an area outside of the spray drift.

Here is the wheat in the spray drift area:

Here is a pic of the weeds in his corn field. Obvious wilting to spray!

·
Registered
840 Posts
JERK!! I would also make a call to Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) and the Oklahoma Water Resources Board. Not sure what they can do, but anything introduced into the soil will affect water quality in nearby water sources, so they would have some influence. And maybe the Oklahoma Conservation Commission.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Contact a Farm Bureau Lawyer and see if you can take legal action for him killing your crops.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Don't know what to say 'cept Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called the Oklahoma Department of Agriculture Food & Forestry, to see what they could do, and imagine this.....they had an inspector in the area to do guess what?
Inspect the areas that this jerk did the same day. It seems he has to pay for the damage, and his insurance has to do that.
I'm sure its not going to be an easy deal, with the new variety that I planted.
Time will tell. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
Well atleast you're one step closer.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Any updates?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the insurance company wanted to pay me based on past yields, which was in the area of 34 bushels per acre. I protested as the new variety produced 54 bpa in test plots last year. We finall decided to wait until harvest, and give me the highest bpa.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Is the insurance company going to go after your neighbor that did the spraying?

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's his insurance company I'm dealing with. I didn't have crop insurance, which is why I was so po'd when finding it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts