Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my zucchini to see if any were ready when I saw a big copperhead! After I dispatched the first with my Glock .40, I looked over and saw more! I ended up killing 5 out of my zucchini patch! I have a 2 year old and an 18 month old that like to go to the garden with me, so they had to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
Thats not cool at all!!! Would have been time for me to have a minor freak out and probably plowed under the whole garden! I HATE snakes!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I got pretty nervous once I realized what they were and how many there were! The hollow points did a number on the ground where they were sitting, not quite plowed, but cratered up!

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
We have the same problem in our yard.
Its because of the drought. When you water your yard, or garden, the insects gather there, and so do the critters that feed on the insects. Copper heads being one of them.
We have noticed an increase of snake sightings in our yard this year. so far no copperheads.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Now that right there is a good reason to have a Judge!

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
My kids have caught 2 garter snakes this week in the backyard. My wife is freeked out by it. Wish I could get rid of my toad problem. As soon as I water or the sun goes down they are everywhere.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Toads are your friends! Insect eaters. ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
True but when you have 30-40 at once in the yard, driveway, patio and sidewalk and some the size of softballs they tend take over.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
CHUTE EM LIZBETH, CHUTE EM.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
You mean that fang proof sock???????? ;D ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
I really hate to see that, but I fully understand why you had to. Safety of yourself and family come first. I may have to come up sometime and catch a few copperheads from you though! :D

Another method you may consider is live-capture using a stick and bucket with a lid, and re-release them 100+ yards from your garden and house. I really hate to say it, but even though you are killing some, there are lots more you're not because you're not finding them. But your garden is a magnet for them, mostly for the rodents though. But keep those kids safe first!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really hate to see that, but I fully understand why you had to. Safety of yourself and family come first. I may have to come up sometime and catch a few copperheads from you though! :D

Another method you may consider is live-capture using a stick and bucket with a lid, and re-release them 100+ yards from your garden and house. I really hate to say it, but even though you are killing some, there are lots more you're not because you're not finding them. But your garden is a magnet for them, mostly for the rodents though. But keep those kids safe first!
Your more than welcome to come catch all you want! That, or bring me a dozen black snakes to turn loose around here to eat the copperheads, I'd be ok with those hanging around.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Anyone know of any snake buyers around the area. Rattlers can fetch a good price.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know of any buyers, but rattlesnakes are out of season right now anyway.

Jblackburn- You need kingsnakes! Keeping black rat snakes and bullsnakes around will compete with the copperheads for food, and kingsnakes, racers, and coachwhips will eat them.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I've seen a video of a blacksnake eating a Rattler. I'll try to find it...

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Been watching a TV show of the guys in TX that snake hunt. I don't watch much TV but when I do it them reality shows like deadliest catch, hogs gone wild, swamp peaple and such. Wife got rid of my OLN so that as close as I can get to hunting and fishing shows. But if it wasn't for my DVR I'd never get to watch anything of mine.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I saw the same thing. It was an indigo snake in Texas. We don't have them in OK. Our black rat snakes may eat other snakes, but not likely. I know that copperheads will eat other snakes, as well as lizards, rodents, birds, amphibians, and insects. Sadly, they are venomous and therefore not good to have around kids or pets. I like them personally, and good yard maintenance usually keeps them away, but a garden actually creates the perfect habitat for them. I guess if one were willing to spend the extra money and time, one could put up a fence around the garden that would keep copperheads out. Metal flashing sticking a foot above ground around the entire perimeter should eliminate all copperheads from the garden, and keep box turtles out as well. But through rat and bull snakes into the garden for the rodents. That would be a lot of flashing and work though!! ???

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
I saw the same thing. It was an indigo snake in Texas. We don't have them in OK.
Well, that clears that up. ;)
I have a black snake in my old shop that sure keeps the rodents at bay. My wife goes bezerk when a snake is in the yard, as we have had two dogs bitten by copperheads.
I go nuts when we see the blacksnake crossing the yard, and she wants to take a shovel to it. Thank God she doesn't want to use a gun, as I would be a dead man, when I catch the snake and take it across the fence to release it.
She would really freak out if she knew it got into the bass boat, and was resting between some excess life jackets in a compartment while we were on the lake one day ;D ;D ;D I was digging around in there and saw his head. Got my stuff and shut the compartment ;)
I have the skin that he shed draped over some deer antlers in the shop.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I enjoy having black snakes (and most others, really) around. Back on dad's farm in MO we used to have a great big black snake that lived in our barn. He was literally 10 feet long, he would come out of a hole on one side of an alley and his head would be going into a hole on the other side before his tail was out! He had plenty to eat because of all the rats and mice that liked our hog feed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts