Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take the kids out for some duck and goose this morning. Well I knew the fist half of the season was ending this weekend.
We get out to the lake its just starting to get light and I can hear some geese and ducks in the cove I have my blind. I grab my reg book to check again on legal shooting time and decided to look at when the season was actually over. I have no clue what was going through my mind other than wanting some sleep. I could have sworn it said it ended on the 28th. Again my mind was out for a nap and I thought crap that was yesterday. The season is over.
I break the news to this kids that daddy was stupid and the season was over. So we sat and waited for it to get light enough to see how many birds we could see before going back home.
I was shocked to see some 40-50 honkers sitting on the shore not 30y from us. I thought this would be a perfect shot to take a couple honkers (get out of the truck do a little stalk). I start the truck and they fly off but so did a flock of 15-20 of what looked like teal.
I drive down the road to the next cove over and we spooked another big group of honkers and a bunch of mallard drakes and more of what looked like teal.
We drove on home and I tell my wife how stupid I had been to mix up the dates. She laughs and says today is the 28th. I look at the calender and go get the reg book and see the season ends on the 29th. I about sheet myself. I'm kicking myself in the arse for being so very stupid. She laughs at me more and tells my daughter who gets a few low blow jabs at me as well.
So now that I know the season ends tomorrow vs yesterday I will be going back out later on with the kids. I know I won't have much luck but its redemption I'm after. May have to go at it alone in the morning.
I'm now bowing my head in shame.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Thats funny! ;D I did something similar about two years ago. We have a funny work schedule, and coming off of vacation, I just got my days mixed up, and showed up for work on my day off ::) I felt like an idiot, and my coworkers reinforced it. ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back out tonight and had 2 groups of 2 geese come over from behind. If they wasn't flying right over the road I coulda dropped atleast one of them that was low and slow. Oh well kids liked it and my german shepard saw them and started to follow.
Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a couple weeks before gett'n me a goose. Time well spent with the kids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thats funny stuff right there, im sure your kids will always remember daddy waking them up early for nothing hahahaha, but i bet they loved it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did and we spent time together and thats all that matters.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts