Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hornady has came out with a new round perfectly suited for the AR platform or bolt guns.
Rumor has it that a certain military agency has adopted it as a replacement cartridge.

Basically it's a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6MM. Pretty impressive ballistics that will greatly out perform the 5.56 and the .308 that only comes in the heavier plarform AR-10. The 5.56 has had issues with lethality after penetrating a barricade or at ranges past 300 yards or so.

Bullets for reloading range from 55 grain to 108 grain.

6-arc-trajectory.jpg

More info at https://www.hornady.com/6mmARC#!/

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
How’s it on lethality for big game? I’m sure whitetail and antelope but mule deer and even elk? I’m clueless on these small wildcat types of rounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
Reactions: kwaynem

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With any of the 6mm bullets from 55 grain to 108 grain a whitetail has no chance of survival if the bullet is properly placed.
I would have second thoughts on elk unless one used the Barnes solid copper. Elk have really thick bones.
I’m predicting it’s going to be popular because it’s higher velocity and flatter shooting than the 6.5 Grendal while being easily adapted to the AR platform because it’s a short action cartridge.

Reactions: okbob and kwaynem

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
6mm ARC is basically a .243 out of an AR15, except it's a touch slower than a true .243win.

It's very close to a 6.5 Grendel if you compare the 6 ARC 108gr ELDM vs the Grendel 123gr ELDM. At 400 yards 6.5 Grendel has 44 less ft lb energy, 3" more drop, and 175 fps slower than 6mm ARC. BUT if you load the Grendel with the same weight 108gr Lapua Scenar, I bet you have a brand new ball game. (I like my 6.5 Grendel :) )

·
Registered
172 Posts
Aside from Hornady's backing behind the SAAMI listing, we've seen several good wildcats with this combo already (6mmAR and .243 LBC from Grendel, 6mm Predator, 6 WOA, and TAC 6 from 6.8 SPCII). Heck, even the 6x45 is a decent little round.

Good to see Hornady bring what will probably be a great long-range target cartridge into the light for many, but nothing ground-breaking for sure. To me this seems like the .260 Remington, that failed to grab a lot of attention and then Hornady came out with the 6.5 Creedmoor (which took off).

I'll stick to my 6.8 SPC, or 6.5 Grendel for hunting as I see both being a little better...But the 6mm ARC should do fine on deer-sized game within reasonable ranges.

I think that many people will like this one.

·
Super Moderator
10,520 Posts
I’ll stick to my less than wildcat rounds for awhile longer before jumping onto any bandwagons.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
Just what an AR builder needs, another reason to build another rifle.

·
Administrator
13,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Already have two 6mm WSSM’s that will out run the ARC, but if I didn’t, it would be one I’d sure consider for a build.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Seems like we keep trying to reinvent the wheel. Like the 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing more than my all time favorite that’s been around for over 100 years, the 6.5 Swede. Every new round that comes out nowadays you can find one that’s been around forever with same ballistics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
In my opinion (with it and a dollar, you can get a cup of coffee) the biggest changes in the shooting world is bullet design and propellant advances. Just look at the difference in ballistics between a flat nosed 130gn 30-30 and a LeveRevolution round.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Your right Bird. That’s why pretty much all LE has gone back to the 9mm. Bullet design. The 9,40&45 all expand and penetrate pretty much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts