Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The match is on for this Saturday, Scott has Six stages designed with 146 rounds required. Its going to be hot, so bring plenty of water or Gatorade.

We plan on being at the range Friday around 6PM to start setting up, with target hanging and last minute details the next morning. As usual , we plan on shooting at 9AM.

Centerfire pistols.

See you there!

Dennis

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Is a .500 S&W legal for shooting.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a revolver class, sadly for you, .45 is the largest allowed.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Could you imagine trying to shoot a .500 in a match.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't be pretty on the steel poppers. I shot them with my .44 mag using some Elmer Kieth hard cast 300 grain once. Had to take them home and put on the 55 ton press to straighten back out.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Funny how some things seem like it's gonna be cool to do, till you do it. ???

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
I've seen what my .44 can do but when ya hit a steel target with one ya know it.

What cal are most folks shooting at these events?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
9mm, .38 Super, .40 S&W, .45ACP.
Within the .40 & .45, there is A major and minor class. This is determined by velocity.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
How'd the match go, Dennis?

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't get to shoot it. I was there for the start, and got vertigo. Had to leave and go to the urgent care. Got some meds and went home to lay in bed until noon today. Second time I've got vertigo. You become dizzy, and disoriented. Strange feeling but easily taken care of.
I would like to have stayed, 23 shooters were there, two being grand masters of the sport.
Grand masters are so good they had to create a special class for them, being voted into that level by a committe of grand masters, and USPSA.
Most everybody there had race guns in the production class, so my box stock 1911 didn't stand a snowballs chance in hell of being anywhere but in the bottom of the pile overall.

The Ponca USPSA monthly match is quickly becoming the go-to match in the state if the comments on BoomerShooter are correct.

Gonna have to look into a production gun if I want to stay with this at the level it's becoming.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Just aim for the target in the middle.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Bummer about the vertigo Dennis, heck it'd been great to watch the GM guys shoot. It is amazing the difference between us and them level shooters. I hope your range keeps 'em coming up there and gets better each year.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the match of the year is coming up in October at Ponca.
Its the high cap hose down II.
We had it last year. 250 rounds on four stages!
I shoot limited 10, and had to make 7 mag changes per stage, on a good stage. The ones with the plate rack, and texas star took about 80 rounds to get through. My trigger finger got tired. :eek:
Had mags in pouches, in the belt, in pockets, everywhere! ;D
There is talk of making it a 300 round hose down this year, with food vendors, etc. Big deal for the club.

BTW at our last meeting, we voted and approved two additional pistol ranges, and the back berm for the 300 yd rifle range. Construction starting in November. We are growing ;D

Here is a video of a Grand Master at play: The link is ugly but just click on the highlighted part. I'm still learning how to embed video's.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
WOW, now that is some shootin'. You guys are going to end up with one heck of a fine facility and make the Tulsa boys jealous if you don't watch out. I was impressed with what you all have now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts