Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question came to mind reading the Ram Hunt thread. With more and more land being bought/leased by those that can afford it and the price for buying/leasing hunting land, makes me wonder how long before the grass roots of hunting has left. Now I have nothing against land owners doing what they want with their land or them making money off of their lands. But with specialized land companies buying and selling hunting lands the cost is going thru the roof. Access to land is getting more difficult for the Average Joe.

Thankfully we here in Okla have a lot of public lands, but they are bound to get more crowded as it is rapidly becoming the only option available to many hunters. Makes me wonder, how much longer the AJ's of the world have until they are forced to quit hunting because they cannot afford a place to hunt?

What are y'alls thoughts?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have hunted more this last year in oklahoma then the 8 years i lived in texas,texas does give you a lot more tags with your lic but they know 90% cant use them.
3 of us got 7 deer this year and all the lease cost us was 2 cases of beer.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Since I have private land that I hunt on, as well as my own, I will say that I hate the idea of charging somebody to hunt the land. I guess if it was between going belly up or leasing, I would have to go the leasing way. So far it hasn't happened although three years ago with 1K$ per ton fertilizer prices, the thought crossed my mind writing that 16K check to the elevator. Fortunatly the wheat prices were at a record level, and I broke a little over even. Farming is a tough way to make a living, even those that own thousands of acres barely make it year to year.
Most of you have seen this pic, but some of the newer ones haven't. This is some of the land I have on the Saltfork river two years ago. The crop was a total bust, as well as this years which was the same way. this land stayed under water untill June. Harvest time. Still had to have it sprayed for weeds after the flood, and so on.

·
Super Moderator
10,971 Posts
I hunted public lands back home in WA. I had the privilege of hunting private land for hogs in CA but mainly public. In VA and NC I hunted base land and a NWR on a draw quota hunt. This last fall being my first here in OK it was mixed. It was private lands by invite for dove and public for ducks.

It all depends on what you after as the wether private or public is best. But more and more land owners are finding the $$$$ in leasing lands or closing it off now. I count my blessing each time I am invited to hunt private lands and greatfull we still have public lands. Many don't even got that chance.

As long as I can still get out and take my kids or hunt with friends it doesn't matter to me what land I'm on or if tag out. I used to be the opposite and it was all about the kill and tag'n out. I have had a couple eye opening experiences that have changed my way of thinking.

I think the hunting media/ big names in hunting have had a lot to do with the increase in lease prices and how landowners manage their lands these days.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I've been able to hunt both public & privates lands through out the U.S.
They can both offer great opportunities for what you might want to hunt for.

I have seen a lot of family farm lands get sold & someone builds a new housing addition on it. :mad: :mad: :mad:
The land leases are out of this world.Never have payed for a land lease to hunt on.
Don't see $1000.00 being worth 6 deer & that would have to be a great season.
Seems that a lot of land owner have heard word about the big $$$$$$ in leasing for hunting right.Exp---My friend paid $1500.00 a season run just to hunt for geese 20 minutes north of the house...That is just ::) ??? :eek: ::) ??? CRAZY.

Grass root hunting is a dying bread -Hope to someday to get a good chunk of land.
It will be passed down & never sold.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do miss the days of knowing the land owner/farmer and helping them work cattle or cutting hay and not even having to ask if it was ok to shoot coyotes or just roam around on their place. I always did ask if I could deer/turkey hunt as that's just being polite. Most if not all had a resounding heck yeah you can. Of course they knew me and knew that their land and stuff would be treated well and not trashed out. Plus they'd get some good eating meat as well.

Can you still go up to Nebraska or Kanas and ask for bird hunting with any success. Use to meet some real Jim Dandy folks that way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
our family has a small farm near where dennis is. i don't pay to hunt and hunt on lot other private land. when i lived in texas we could not afford a lease and hunted on public land. at the time there 7 or 8 years ago it was around $1500 a gun for a small lease. if it came down to it and i could afford it i would also lease but long as we have our farm and im in good with my neighbors that let me hunt you wont see me leasing.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Can you still go up to Nebraska or Kanas and ask for bird hunting with any success. Use to meet some real Jim Dandy folks that way.
We went up to NW KS on a pheasant hunt to the walk-in areas, but still asked around and got permission to hunt two private lands, and got phone #'s from a couple of guys we met in a restaurant that just bought several thousand acres in that area that want us to come back up and hunt with them this fall season.
So I guess the answer to your question, is yes.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's great to hear Dennis.

·
Registered
720 Posts
My dad went to school with the people that lived around our town.He could hunt and fish on all of their property.Now most of them are gone and their kids are selling the old homesteads for 10 times what their parents paid for them.So all of the old come on out and fish and hunt land is about gone.So yes I think the grass roots hunting is about gone.

·
Registered
840 Posts
My wife and I inherited 2 houses and 260 acres near Okemah when her grandparents died. Due to financial hardships that followed shortly after the funerals, we had to sell 10 acres to take care of some of the finances, but we are keeping the other 250 for eternity or longer. It will be passed on to our children. I am an avid outdoorsman, and get the opportunity to hunt and fish in my back yard. Since I was a kid, we only hunted public land, or land that belonged to some other member of the family, and fished at lakes and family-owned ponds. Now I have my own little slice of heaven.

Since I now know what it is like to find good hunting and fishing spots, I let people come and fish my pond. I am a little more picky about the hunting issue, but not selfish. We inherited a good thing and we want to help keep it good. We just want to be responsible.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I ranch in Dewey county, untill about 5 yrs ago I allowed outside hunting. When the hunters started leaving gates open, trash in my pastures and bringing along friends without permission I figured it wasn't worth it. All you have to do is drive down our county roads during gun season see the beer cans, pop cans and trash from fast food places to decide outsiders don't care about the land or the wildlife. Thanks for allowing me to vent on a sore subject with the landowners in our community.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I ranch in Dewey county, untill about 5 yrs ago I allowed outside hunting. When the hunters started leaving gates open, trash in my pastures and bringing along friends without permission I figured it wasn't worth it. All you have to do is drive down our county roads during gun season see the beer cans, pop cans and trash from fast food places to decide outsiders don't care about the land or the wildlife. Thanks for allowing me to vent on a sore subject with the landowners in our community.
As a farmer in NC OK, I can see and feel your pain. I've been screwed by some (what I thought) were some good friends. They are still friends, but don't hunt on me anymore.
Went with a friend the second day of dove season last year on his place where he had permission, and found a mound of ammo boxes, and empty shells around a pond.
I told him what would happen if the land owner found that.
His response was, "it ain't my crap, and I ain't gonna pick it up". I have known the land owner for many years.

I called the land owner, and told him about it, and he said it was his brother, and it po'd him off.
Now the brother is banned, and My buddy has the say on who can go in and out ,even though I was the bad guy??

Oh well?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts