Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking forward to next year. Getting out COVID isolation and trying to put some old normal back in our life. That means next year the wife and I go on a cruise. We want to do a full passage of the Panama Canal or a European river cruise. The wife enjoys the activities and to keep her happy I indulge her once a year. You guys are sworn to secrecy here so you can't tell her I enjoy these trip also---once a year.

Now to indulge me she will go on a hunt with me. She does not enjoy sleeping on the ground in a pup tent, cooking an entire meal in a single skillet over a campfire, and packing game out on a pack frame. She much prefers hunts with guides who do all the work, lodges with a nice bed and indoor plumbing, and camp a cook who sets a meal at a table. Frankly with two fake knees and a fused back this sounds sounds pretty good to me now also.

So there you have the background. What I am looking for is recommendation for Texas Javelina hunt. Anyone have a suggestions where to look? Who to contact?

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Looking forward to next year. Getting out COVID isolation and trying to put some old normal back in our life. That means next year the wife and I go on a cruise. We want to do a full passage of the Panama Canal or a European river cruise. The wife enjoys the activities and to keep her happy I indulge her once a year. You guys are sworn to secrecy here so you can't tell her I enjoy these trip also---once a year.

Now to indulge me she will go on a hunt with me. She does not enjoy sleeping on the ground in a pup tent, cooking an entire meal in a single skillet over a campfire, and packing game out on a pack frame. She much prefers hunts with guides who do all the work, lodges with a nice bed and indoor plumbing, and camp a cook who sets a meal at a table. Frankly with two fake knees and a fused back this sounds sounds pretty good to me now also.

So there you have the background. What I am looking for is recommendation for Texas Javelina hunt. Anyone have a suggestions where to look? Who to contact?
I have a friend in South Tx with a group deer lease.
He says the Javelinas are a PITA because they clean up the feeder before the deer get there.
Let me contact him and see if he knows an outfitter.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She was particularly encouraged yesterday morning when the CDC said if we have our shots, we can travel.

Then yesterday afternoon we find out our grandson, the denier-"i ain't wearing no mask" "it's just a bad case of the flu" came down with covid and is extremely ill. Worse than any flu.

She still looking at next year for travel however.

We will be doing turkey next year but this is her hunt, I get to tag along. "Our hunt" will be for Javelina.

Then a few minutes ago she mentioned hunting hogs in OK, this year.

Doesn't someone here do that?

Cost?

She does not want wild hog meat. What is done with that?

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Some process the pig after taking one.
I had one processed once. It was really tasty.
Some of the folks I know in the western part of the state trap them in large numbers and fill ditches with them.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some years ago-1994 I killed a big boar in Texas. Monster hog 290 lbs was number 4 hand gun kill in the Record Book of Exotics that year, 19-1/8 inch. Tried to eat him, tasted pretty good but was as tough as boot leather. Uneatable. Donated the meat to the Customs Chili cook-off team. They ground it all into hamburger and used it to win the 94 Houston Area Law Enforcement Chili Cook off.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Plenty of small time guides in OK that will take you around for a day/night for a relatively decent price.

I joined an OK hog hunting group on Facebook, and while most of what goes on there isn't my cup of tea there are still several guide services that frequently offer hunts.

99 percent of what I kill goes back into the environment.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Some years ago-1994 I killed a big boar in Texas. Monster hog 290 lbs was number 4 hand gun kill in the Record Book of Exotics that year, 19-1/8 inch. Tried to eat him, tasted pretty good but was as tough as boot leather. Uneatable. Donated the meat to the Customs Chili cook-off team. They ground it all into hamburger and used it to win the 94 Houston Area Law Enforcement Chili Cook off.
I have to ask, because apparently I'm just too much of a noob to hog hunting or something...what is the 19-1/8" measurement in regards to hogs?

I do heart girth, which is probably ~90% accurate from the couple of times I got one on a scale too.

Don't tell me something like "cutter length", because I have a whole batch of flags to raise :D

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know if Record Book for Exotics is still around. I tried to find their website and my Virus Scan Firewall blocked me.

Here is the score sheet they used.

The page from there book.

The teeth

The half body mount

Some where buried in the attic is a photo album with the chemical pictures. Well pre-digital camera.

We knew it was big. My friend and I, we guessed 230-240. We-the guide, my friend and i, drug it ithe truck and loaded it. We were hunting on a big ranch in Dimmit County, South Texas and there 20-25 hunters. The ranch was chain and ball clearing land and wanted to remove as many of the wild hogs as they could. THey had a big weekend hunt going on. When we came into the camp there were a bunch of hogs hanging in the rack.. But nothing this big. All the other hunters were throwing number 350-400lbs at my hog. We knew better. The Guides dug out some scales and weighed this one up- I was surprised at 290 lbs. The guides all said it was the biggest hog that had been taken in the 6 weeks they had been hunting.

This was full daytime hunt, spot and stalk. We had spotted some pigs a 100 yards or so away and started to sneak on them, when this thing stood up in the middle of the ground where he had been laying about 20 yards away. He took a couple of steps toward us and the turned sideways and I fired one shot from a Contender 45-70. He never flinch ran a few more steps, went behind a bush and plowed his nose into the ground and never moved again.

I can recall, standing there in shock. I looked at my friend, and the guide-wondering what just happened. I asked my friend if he hit him. He said he never had a chance to fire.

Great memory. That Friend was the best and he passed a couple years ago. Died form Bladder cancer. He asked me to come up and be with him when he died. I flew up from OKC to Idaho and was sitting by him when he passed. Sure do miss him.

·
Administrator
13,720 Posts
Great story. Sorry to hear of your friends passing.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow Dennis. First thanks for the condolences, my Friend Eric passed in February 2019. You post made me think. I first met Eric in 1990 or so on the old internet GEnie Gateway. We were on a firearms BBS and in particular section related to Gunsmithing. We talked and became friends there, later share email and telephone calls. We decide to we needed to meet up and this hog hunt was how we decided to do that. From that we had a long good friendship. Overtime we became more like brothers than just friends. His son calls me Uncle. When my late wife died he was my greatest support. When he was dying he asked to come up and be with him, and I did not hesitate a second.

Sure miss him.

·
Super Moderator
10,643 Posts
Nice hogs and mounts. Reminds of an old buddy I had in Cali who’s nickname was pig killer. Taught me everything I know about hog hunting.
Your memories are bringing back memories for me as well. Thank you for that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts