Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent 2013 in Afghanistan working under contract. One of the roads were traveled when we were moving around Kabul was Russia Road. I have this video of Russia Road on my old you tube channel ddgofer and thought I would share with you just for fun. Russia road passes along the northern perimeter of Kabul Airport.Next time you are thinking about traffic or road conditions in OK, think about this road.

About 3:00 minutes is a white building on the left or north side of the Road. One of the terrorists groups launched an attack on the airport from that building. Afghan Police came in flattened the top story, ending the attack.

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts
The background noise reminded me of a tracked vehicle but the hood that’s visible doesn’t reflect that?

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Up armored Toyota Land Cruiser 76 Panel truck. That sound only showed up in video's taken inside. You never heard that while riding inside

The armor was damned effective against rocks.

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Vehicle

·
Administrator
14,362 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They gave us Glock 17's with lots of magazines and LWRC piston AR's with lots of magazines. And do not shoot unless being fired upon rules.

LWRC the Cadillac of AR's. They would not shoot green tip as it was to hot. That gun needed a gas regulator. Th second shot always left the case in the chamber. We could only shoot .223 ammo in it. No 5.56 Green tip.

·
Registered
597 Posts
They gave us Glock 17's with lots of magazines and LWRC piston AR's with lots of magazines. And do not shoot unless being fired upon rules.

LWRC the Cadillac of AR's. They would not shoot green tip as it was to hot. That gun needed a gas regulator. Th second shot always left the case in the chamber. We could only shoot .223 ammo in it. No 5.56 Green tip.
???

What in the world did they chamber the rifles in then? Or maybe they boogered up gas ports? Ive not heard of LWRCI rifles not shooting 5.56 before. Certainly not a metallurgy issue. Ive also never heard of a piston LWRCI that didn't have an adjustable gas block...all were easy to reach self-regulating piston systems before they came out with a DI model a few years ago.

That was quite literally what LWRCI built their reputation on.

Crazy

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
???

What in the world did they chamber the rifles in then? Or maybe they boogered up gas ports? Ive not heard of LWRCI rifles not shooting 5.56 before. Certainly not a metallurgy issue. Ive also never heard of a piston LWRCI that didn't have an adjustable gas block...all were easy to reach self-regulating piston systems before they came out with a DI model a few years ago.

That was quite literally what LWRCI built their reputation on.

Crazy
What the hell did he just say?

·
Super Moderator
11,399 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What he said is LWRC must have sold my company Piston guns without gas regulators. And I wasn't appreciated when I pointed that out.

This is a well recognized problem in self loading or semi autos guns. When a cartridge is fired the case expands from gas pressure sealing the bore so gas pushes the bullet down the bore. As the bullet travels down the bore gas pressure decreases and the brass contracts, allowing it to be removed in the extraction step. (remember there are seven steps of operation in a firearm-normally). If gas pressure is high enough when it passes the gas port, the brass may not have contracted yet. When the gas passes down tube or hits the piston to activated the bolt, the bolt may cycle but the extractor of the AR system, not consider that strong, gets ripped from the brass, leaving the brass in the chamber. This was the problem in Vietnam and the dirty ammo. The chamber carboned up and the gun would fail to extract. This also occurs when pressures are to high or stay high for longer periods of time-such as with greentip.

Gas regulation is important. Gas tube guns regulate gas with different tube ID's. Piston guns have some sort of switchable orifice- rotating screw or plug.

None of the LWRC guns we had in Afghanistan-all piston guns had any sort of regulation. Some of them worked just fine and some had extraction problems-but only with greentip-GI issue Ball.

They even sent me one time out with the range officer to review my shooting skills and the gun wouldn't extract for him either. The gun shot just fine with standard Federal and Winchester commercial FMJ. I just made sure all my mags were loaded with the commercial stuff. The RO did comment that several of the company guns had this problem, so make sure I only used the company issued ammo. Truly a confidence building statement.

·
Registered
597 Posts
What he said is LWRC must have sold my company Piston guns without gas regulators. And I wasn't appreciated when I pointed that out.

This is a well recognized problem in self loading or semi autos guns. When a cartridge is fired the case expands from gas pressure sealing the bore so gas pushes the bullet down the bore. As the bullet travels down the bore gas pressure decreases and the brass contracts, allowing it to be removed in the extraction step. (remember there are seven steps of operation in a firearm-normally). If gas pressure is high enough when it passes the gas port, the brass may not have contracted yet. When the gas passes down tube or hits the piston to activated the bolt, the bolt may cycle but the extractor of the AR system, not consider that strong, gets ripped from the brass, leaving the brass in the chamber. This was the problem in Vietnam and the dirty ammo. The chamber carboned up and the gun would fail to extract. This also occurs when pressures are to high or stay high for longer periods of time-such as with greentip.

Gas regulation is important. Gas tube guns regulate gas with different tube ID's. Piston guns have some sort of switchable orifice- rotating screw or plug.

None of the LWRC guns we had in Afghanistan-all piston guns had any sort of regulation. Some of them worked just fine and some had extraction problems-but only with greentip-GI issue Ball.

They even sent me one time out with the range officer to review my shooting skills and the gun wouldn't extract for him either. The gun shot just fine with standard Federal and Winchester commercial FMJ. I just made sure all my mags were loaded with the commercial stuff. The RO did comment that several of the company guns had this problem, so make sure I only used the company issued ammo. Truly a confidence building statement.

CRAZY!

I can't believe they sent that stuff out to you. That is beyond a simple oversight. It is too bad such a long time has passed since then, otherwise I'd be suggesting taking photos and making LWRCI famous. I never really recommended them because of their street price, for for someone interested in piston only (they do have advantages when shooting suppressed, such as less gas in the face *to others reading this) they were one of only a couple of shows in town. PWS makes a good piston gun too, and POF used to.

Your experience causes me no reason to doubt you, and I'll certainly be skipping a recommendation for LWRCI in the future. I don't care how long ago that was, nobody downrange should have to deal with a malfunctioning firearm.

@Bear Sits In The Woods : Up until a few years ago, all LWRC rifles had a handguard that could be disassembled up near the gas block by simply loosening and removing the two screws that kept the upper and lower handguard together. You then could access the self-regulating piston system with ease. It was one of the selling points of LWRCI for quite a while. I will not bore you with the cycle of feeding, chambering, locking, firing unlocking, extracting, ejecting, and cocking mumbo jumbo. I am also not an LWRCI guru, so please forgive me if I don't deep dive into their function. Many piston guns have regulators that allow you to run clean or dirty/suppressed...they just adjust how much gas is directed into the piston system (kind of like an adjustable gas block).

Suffice to say that any milspec DI gun would have been significantly more reliable at half the price of one of the LWRCIs that TheDoubleD had to deal with. Unless you are shooting primarily suppressed, I don't see a benefit to piston systems anyway (aside from you can clean them less).

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You got me wondering, I did a little googling, wondering what the gas regulator on the LWRC might look like. It looks like the LWRC went through several iterations M6, M6A2, M6A3. THe focus seems to be on adding a gas regulator system and updating it.

I used this gun in 2013 and the guns had been in country since the program started in 2006.

This video shows an LWRC with no regulator that looks very similar to what we had in 2013:

I will say this in favor of LWRC when I went with the range officer to review my skills, the gun was very accurate. The paper punch session, small little single ragged holes. The wanted me to zero at 50 yards with the flip sights. I zeroed at 100.

Then they had me engage clanger targets out to 300. When I was able to engage and hit targets out to 500 they never said another word about my shooting skills.

The gun malfunction on the range for both me and the RO.

I did ask for a different gun but never got one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts