Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please bear with as I need to vent a bit. They say talking about it helps but even talking about it in this case won’t solve anything.
I have mentioned a couple times over the past few months that the Navy is downsizing and sending people home first it was E-6 and below under 14 years with a Perform to Serve (PTS) where you had to apply and basically get permission to re enlist or transfer to a new command. Now they have a continuation board for those E4 to E-8 with 7-15 years. So for many folks even if you get past the PTS you still have to contend with the continuation board. Currently I’m an E-6 with 13 years, 5 months, 9 days in.
Will I was pulled into the back office today and told I was PTS denied and I will be going home. So come October 2[sup]nd[/sup] my Naval career is over. I’ve been looking at going into the Army to finish out my time so I can get my 20 year retirement. But I’m also looking at local Civil Service jobs that will count toward retirement. My wife is a full time nursing student and won’t be done for another year and a half. We got her Navy time disability check coming in. I really don’t have squat in savings. It’s a real kick in the junk you know. But at least I have this job till October and some time to prepare and find another job.
My wife’s not taking the news very easy and I expected that I’m sure once home and we talk it will hit me a little more. It’s funny the only life I have know I’m told I can’t have anymore. You know I do feel a little better just writing this but it still don’t change the fact of what lies ahead.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Damm!
That's a shame. Every time a dem gets in office, they downsize the military. Just a suggestion, but if you could get one of the civil service jobs, join a reserve unit near by, and get two retirements. Your young enough to go for it.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damm!
That's a shame. Every time a dem gets in office, they downsize the military. Just a suggestion, but if you could get one of the civil service jobs, join a reserve unit near by, and get two retirements. Your young enough to go for it.
Been thinking about that. Wife and I need to sit down and figure things out. I'll still be on here that's a given and will likely post an update or two.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hey Bull,
The Army is downsizing too. I am retiring so they won't have to kick me out. It is a damn shame that guys like you and me have to get out because of this BS!!

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have lost 11 people in my command over the last few months to this PTS crap. Worst part is I'm the most senior one so far. Everyone else has been E-5 and below. But this new continuation board has 1 E-7, 19 E-6 and 26 E-5 from my unit on the chopping block. This board has 16K navy wide under review with 3k getting the boot right away. Its a sad time when being in the military doesn't come with job security even while at war.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I am surprised that it has come to this. :-\ It is not all the military's idea it also our Senators, Congressmen and Congresswomen idea too!! :mad: :mad: :mad: It all because of the National Debt. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: If they want to cut back why can't they take a pay cut like everyone else!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Bull, if you're interested in a a/c mech job at KTIK, let me know. Talked to a buddy that's a supervisor now and he's wanting good mech's now! 135 line on the ALC side and they've been hiring. Might not be the dream of a lifetime job, but it'll get your foot in the door and you can go up from there or find something off base. Pays pretty well till you decide.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The US has the strongest military force in the world, but when "bleeding hearts" take office, it's all for not. That sucks Bull, but I'll be praying for you! Hopefully you can get things worked out soon and be able to relax.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I need is 6 more years of active time for my 1st retirement then I can move onto another. 6 years aint nothing at this point.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Well at least you got notice.
Still is a kick in pants either way.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure is!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts