Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy that has 200 acres of land down near Amber. Last year several guys hunted it pulling quite a few deer from the property. Ironically it was on land that had never been scouted. No feeders, no cameras, no pre hunt visits other than setting up blinds and stands. just rubs galore.

The landowner is reluctant to let anyone hunt there this year for fear of killing the herd(his words). Considering he has no clue what is out there other than what was witnessed during rifle season last year. My brother in law and I have a plan. He is in the process of getting the go ahead to setup some cameras on the property this weekend. We are going to be on a fishing trip with the owner in two weeks at Eufala. Hoping to have some good pictures of whats on the property and the number of deer there. Hopefully this will be enough to convince him to let some hunters on the property again this year.

Land is not leased out. Doubt he would lease it out. No you can't have his phone number. We just want to hunt it. Hopefully this time Sunday night we will be back from doing some scouting and setting the cameras.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
This is a very common situation. The non-hunting landowners don't have a clue what is on their land.
OR...Maybe they do and the number of bucks taken off of it the year before has him scared?

My wifes uncle has land that he has tried to lease out before, and monitors what comes off of it. He got disgusted with the knobs, and forks that they were taking off of it.
Shut it down.

Sometimes the landowner wants to be assured through promise, and practice that the lessee will be a steward of the land.

They must limit the harvest, and preserve the wildlife, only taking the excess.

I don't know the situation your in, but could this be his situation as well?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dennis

The landowners extent of hunting(from what I know of the guy) is take a gun put a few rounds through it to see if its sighted in. go sit in a blind. wait for the deer and shoot. No research what so ever into what would make his land a better hunting ground. Just get out shoot and be done.

Fishing with him on his boat is a nightmare. If he doesn't get on the fish in a minute or two he wants to move immediately. No patience to work an area over to find a few fish to be motivated.

I think if we can get out there and get some evidence of some good numbers. Pitch to him the idea of feeders or a food plot(next year) and show what has happened on land that this was done. He might come around. Honestly I just think he is uneducated on the hunting subject and game management topics. We will have 4 days to work on him later this month.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going out tomorrow after church to setup some cameras. possibly a feeder or two. Looks like we might have a chance this year.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Sounds like your on the right track to me. Your plan may very well work out for you. Good luck ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Amber,
Just know about the steak house their that is great eating.

Hope all works out for ya Dan.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
two cameras are set over feeders. saw plenty of deer tracks too.

The owner came out with us today. we all rode around the property together. about an hour into it he was asking where we wanted to put the stands or blinds this year. Looks like he might be over his original decision. We will see when we get back out next saturday to check the cameras.

Talking after setting up the last feeder. He said the word on the property is it has already been leased. Which translates into he is telling some other individuals that it is leased out so they won't be asking. Its ours to hunt.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Sweet! ;D

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Post some of the camera pics after ya get them back.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have just been told we cannot shoot anything smaller than an 8 point buck and no does.

How frustrating is that. The land owner is starting to roll back on his decision to let us hunt the land.

I have no problem with the buck requirements. In fact I support that decision. However its the decision to not shoot any does that has me a bit irritated. Land owner said that if we kill all the does off the bucks will die off as well. How do you come up with this train of thought to begin with.

I might hold off on setting my blind up this Saturday. We are meeting out at the land to discuss where everyone is wanting to hunt on opening day. Its going to be hard to bite my tounge and be respectful. I just need to formulate a solid argument between now and Saturday morning.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Good luck. Sounds like the mindset around Okla from many years ago when killing a doe was almost a shooting offense.
Sometimes, its just impossible to change attitudes.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got a little more info on the situation.

The landowner was talking to the guy he bought the land from(this guy owns the land to the west). He was talking about how the bucks would only come around when does were in the area. If we killed all the does there would be nothing to attact any bucks to the area.

I'm still going to do some research and come up with a good argument against his decision. if it works it works. if it doesn't well then its going to be a real quiet hunting season on this land.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Re: Just when you think you are out of luck there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon

Well, basically he is correct in that if there are no does, there will no bucks.
But, that all depends on the buck to doe ratio in that area. With your trail cams did you see lots of does?

If the buck to doe ratio is 10 to 1, then does need to be taken.
The prime ratio is 1 to 1. Very few places can manage a herd to that extent.
Two places that I know of come close, and that is the Witchita Mtns, and McAlister AAD.
They have been intensively managed for many years to get there. Big bucks are the result, and hunter success is the bonus on the big bucks.
The area I hunt has a 36 to one ratio, and we see very few big bucks, as during the rut, they don't have to travel to find the hot does. They breed one, and another is right there.
With a 1 to 1, the bucks have to roam far and wide to find does to breed.
This is the reason for taking does.
Do a little research on this subject and give him some written literature he can absorb, and your luck might change.
Your gonna have to win him over with the biological truth, and not stories his grandpa told him.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what my evenings will consist of for the next few days. reading reading and more reading.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Re: Just when you think you are out of luck there is a glimer of hope on the hor

Google the Noble Foundation.
They have tons of information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts