Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This actually happened about a month ago, just forgot to mention it.

I got sent to a job site down in the arbuckles NE of Gene Autry airport early one morning. Cruising down the gravel road next to the river and watchin the hogs run I almost didnt see the snake crossing in front of me, had just enough time to swerve and catch him with my rear duals. I slammed it in reverse and slid across him to finish the job. Then I remember that the other guys working down there talking about the rattlers they had been seeing. I eased up beside him and looked out the window, my tires had cut the rattler off perfect at the back of the body.

This is the only pic I took, sorry, but I aint playing with a snake. Dead or alive! I picked up the rattles with a shovel and drove off.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I really hate to hear that! You killed an animal that was not posing you or anyone else any threat, and you had no intention to eat it. And for what purpose? Just to say you killed it? That's the same as trophy hunting only, to kill a large deer or elk, only the cut off the antlers and let the corpse decay. What a waste of such a beautiful animal! :( I could understand it if it were posing you direct harm, such as being at your work site, but you actually went out of your way to kill it.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Don't let this topic get out of hand!!!

To each your own & drop it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okherb, sorry I didnt mention the fact that I was very close to the job site. I could see the equipment sitting just up river where 5 or 6 of my friends and co-workers walk back and forth across the river all day long and sometimes well after dark. They had already killed several rattlers that where actually at the drilling rig, including one that was found under a pallet while the guys where picking up trash. Had I known it was a rattler before I ran over it things might have been different. I just knew it was a large snake headed toward the river where I was going to be working, I dont take chances with snakes. Sorry if I offended you.

·
Registered
840 Posts
No, you didn't offend me. And I didn't mean for it to sound cynical. I do tend to be very passionate about snakes, and I have no problem with people killing them for their own safety, or the safety of others. Even accidentally. When I originally read your first post, it sounded as though you went out of your way to kill it, only to take the rattles. To me, there is no difference between that and poaching. But I'm actually sorry if I offended you, or anyone else, and I understand your reason now. Thanks for clearing that up.

On a different note, I thought you live in the panhandle. What job are you doing that you are near Gene Autry? I go down that direction quite a bit, and will be in Sulphur (not too far from there) 14-15 Oct doing a field trip for the Oklahoma Biological Survey (BioBlitz).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, I live in Purcell, just south of Norman. I was working for a pipeline company that was boring a new water line under the washita for the city of ardmore. Dont work for them anymore though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts