·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Reactions: Kelulu

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
First time I’ve seen anyone get a banded quail.
Congrats!
FYI he get extra points for the band as well. Bird and band will be big points for y’all.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Forgot about the band points. I think it’s the first time anyone on my team has got one.

Reactions: Kelulu

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Forgot about the band points. I think it’s the first time anyone on my team has got one.
Its been at least 3-4 years since the last contest member had a band for points. I think it was MasonBanta that had it on a mallard duck.

·
Registered
420 Posts
GH010179.jpg

Quail hunting has been tough lately. Lots of miles for few coveys.

Add one hen bobwhite to my tally please.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
For those that didn’t know, we have been in the Rio Grande Valley in our RV since Christmas.
I had planned on doing a lot of offshore fishing on this trip but it didn’t work out so well because of large surf and high offshore waves that forced most charters to stay at the dock.
We did get out once on a 36’ boat that was shared by 4 of us that are friends.
The ride out was 19 miles North from South Padre and 9 miles offshore to a new artificial reef that is being built. It’s huge involving sunken ships, cement highway barriers that have been retired along with culverts, and a myriad of other materials to create structures where none existed before.
It’s became a magnet for fish of every specie and age group. It’s been carefully designed for habitat that benefits young fish to adulthood.
Our focus was on red snapper. State regulations require a 15” minimum length before they can be kept with a limit of 4 per person.
Our guide had a personal length limit of 17”. He was very passionate about maintaining the specie and we were ok with that.
We each got our limit with a lot of catch and release at 70-90’ depth. I caught 21 total but can only count 4 for the contest with red snapper and one mahogany snapper because I didn’t take pics of the others. The action was too fast to take time for pics.
Big fish went to a buddy with 20 lb and a 12 lb snapper. You can see my mahogany snapper in the mouth of the big one.
We had one heck of a fish fry back at the RV’s.

Reactions: Bullbuster and baby

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Congrats. Off shore fishing is fun.

Hen I was stationed back in Cali I used to go up to Monterey and go out and fish for sand dab (like a flounder). Would get 100+ Each on a good day. Fun fun times.

Any plans to try for a Goliath Grouper?

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
There are grouper there on the reef but I think the Goliath groupers hang out around Florida.

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Went pheasant hunting with my buddy this morning at Bluestem Hunting in Perry OK. It was a European style tower hunt. We slayed em. My O/U 16ga. Was on point. When I ran out of shells for it I continued on with my Ithaca M37 Featherlight 12ga. They released 385 pheasant and chuckers. We got 310 with our group of about 40. I lost count how many I got. But it was a lot. Put me down for 10.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Congrats on slay’n them. I haven’t pheasant hunted in probably 20 years or so.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Awesome shooting on the pheasant!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Thanks. My shoulder is feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Thanks. My shoulder is feeling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh I’m sure a couple of cold ones will ease that shoulder ache.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Spent the morning doing my annual fledgling eagle survey this morning.
One baby in the nest and two adults.

After that decided to go fishing and shroom hunting on the creeks at Kaw.
No shrooms and the fishing was slow.
One sand bass one saugeye and one 5 lb Buffalo on 2 lb line. That thing took awhile to get in.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Spent the morning doing my annual fledgling eagle survey this morning.
One baby in the nest and two adults.

After that decided to go fishing and shroom hunting on the creeks at Kaw.
No shrooms and the fishing was slow.
One sand bass one saugeye and one 5 lb Buffalo on 2 lb line. That thing took awhile to get in.

We have 3 nesting pairs this year. 2 nests are new and of those 1 must belong to a newlywed couple. It’s a little ragged and thin but they are using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
We have 3 nesting pairs this year. 2 nests are new and of those 1 must belong to a newlywed couple. It’s a little ragged and thin but they are using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The lady I give my report to works the the Sutton aviary in Bartlesville. She was telling me yesterday how many new eagle nests there are this year. Don't remember the exact number, but they are mostly scattered along the Arkansas river and around Kaw Lake.

·
Administrator
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Congrats on the Tom!

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts
Congrats on the bow bird!

121 - 140 of 145 Posts