Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
My number one goal (other than finding sign) when I’m scouting and looking for locations to hunt is to be the least intrusive in the area as possible. Ideally I would like to go to an area no more than twice in a year before I officially hunt it, with August being my cut off date for scouting activity.

Now in saying all of that, I want to go hang some hang on stands in a couple of areas I’ve gotten familiar with and leave them in the trees to let them “soak”, but my fear is animals eating at the straps while they are on the tree, and/or just weather deteriorating the straps all together. Is there anything you guys would recommend I put in my straps that would help strengthen/protect the straps from said occurrences?

For instance I was think maybe soak them in wax, or some type of liquid that helps keep them from dry rotting?

Anyways, I am interested in hearing what you guys think and advice given.
Thanks!

· Registered
485 Posts
Never had an issue with varmints eating the straps but if a cloth type seat then that might get eaten or crapped on by a raccoon! As for the straps, I check all of ours each season when setting up feeders or working on food plots. Majority of our stands now are ladder type but we've got a few chain on to place depending on buck movement.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never had an issue with varmints eating the straps but if a cloth type seat then that might get eaten or crapped on by a raccoon! As for the straps, I check all of ours each season when setting up feeders or working on food plots. Majority of our stands now are ladder type but we've got a few chain on to place depending on buck movement.
What’s been your experience with the life span on the cloth straps for hang ons? I could see about trying to enforce the hood the stand has onto the tree. I’m going to be putting some of these waaaay out in the middle of BFE and would like to have peace of mind when I get there that they aren’t all messed up if I can that is.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like July/August for hanging stands. The deer frequently move from summer to fall feeding grounds in mid to late September, so it gives the stand plenty of time to air out.

Plus no worries about straps...although if you get the good ones they last for a couple years without issue.
Yes that’s a good point. Although if you find a good bedding area, especially one good enough to house a mature buck, often times those are core areas that a buck can/will often stay in or near year around.

· Registered
485 Posts
I'd say 2 seasons for the straps. Check them over good. If not fraying, go another year. Caveat: I bring down my chain on stands and climbing sticks each year which allows me to inspect the straps. The ladder stands stay up but several are in cedar trees so don't get the brunt of our winters.

BUT, for that piece of mind, it doesn't cost much to replace each year. 4 straps rated 300 lbs holding weight plus 900 lbs breaking weight for $16.50. Add tax and round up to $20. I put 2 on each chain on stand so $10 x # of stands.

https://www.amazon.com/XSTRAP-Ratch...la-689249095155&ref=&adgrpid=69721953595&th=1

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd say 2 seasons for the straps. Check them over good. If not fraying, go another year. Caveat: I bring down my chain on stands and climbing sticks each year which allows me to inspect the straps. The ladder stands stay up but several are in cedar trees so don't get the brunt of our winters.

BUT, for that piece of mind, it doesn't cost much to replace each year. 4 straps rated 300 lbs holding weight plus 900 lbs breaking weight for $16.50. Add tax and round up to $20. I put 2 on each chain on stand so $10 x # of stands.

https://www.amazon.com/XSTRAP-Ratch...la-689249095155&ref=&adgrpid=69721953595&th=1
Thank you sir for the information and link. About that time to start scouting for next year hahaha. Love it!

· Registered
1,548 Posts
Yes that’s a good point. Although if you find a good bedding area, especially one good enough to house a mature buck, often times those are core areas that a buck can/will often stay in or near year around.
Jan 15th - Feb 1st is a good time to look for bedding areas and plan 2023 accordingly if you wanted my opinion (which I'm well aware of that nobody does).

I've put out cameras as early as July, and sure enough; there is a noticeable buck shift sometime in September. Usually I get very few buck photos then, so I start putting cameras out now around the last week of August. However, full disclosure here that my 2021 buck was shot October 11th in the same area that I had him on camera on July 23rd...but he was only on camera 2-3 times too. I'd estimate my buck sightings grow 200% between 15 September and 15 December...but they're traveling a lot in search for a doe.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
If you use good ratchet straps (from Tractor Supply, Atwoods, or Harbor Freight) instead of the crap straps that generally come with stands, you should be good for years. A couple months ago, I had to use a extendable limb saw to cut the straps on a ladder stand that was put up in 2004. The tree died, and it was unsafe for me to climb up and remove them by myself. I would’ve probably reused them if I hadn’t had to cut them.

All my cameras, feeders, and stands stay out year around.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you use good ratchet straps (from Tractor Supply, Atwoods, or Harbor Freight) instead of the crap straps that generally come with stands, you should be good for years. A couple months ago, I had to use a extendable limb saw to cut the straps on a ladder stand that was put up in 2004. The tree died, and it was unsafe for me to climb up and remove them by myself. I would’ve probably reused them if I hadn’t had to cut them.

All my cameras, feeders, and stands stay out year around.
My god! Hahaha that’s awesome!

· Registered
1,655 Posts
Another thing I have used was actual chain, and when I was scouting in November here in TX, I found three ladder stands I built in the late 90’s that were still standing. They’re well built welded together stands that I thought about taking down, but the tree had grown around the chain. I have plenty of stands and decided to just leave them where they are.

· Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another thing I have used was actual chain, and when I was scouting in November here in TX, I found three ladder stands I built in the late 90’s that were still standing. They’re well built welded together stands that I thought about taking down, but the tree had grown around the chain. I have plenty of stands and decided to just leave them where they are.
The problem I can imagine using a chain is I’m strictly bow hunting out of these stands so I would be worried about any noise maybe? I have seen back in the day people use the chains all the time.

· Registered
1,655 Posts
The problem I can imagine using a chain is I’m strictly bow hunting out of these stands so I would be worried about any noise maybe? I have seen back in the day people use the chains all the time.
If your chain is loose enough to make noice, you’re more than likely not going to have a very stable perch. I used a ratchet tightener on mine, and they were as tight as your bow string.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts