Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the OK Wildlife Dept Newsletter;

Online comments taken until Jan. 15 on proposed hunting and fishing rules changes Oklahomans interested in commenting on a slate of proposed hunting and fishing rule changes are encouraged to do so through the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation's Web site at wildlifedepartment.com. The Wildlife Department is providing an online public comment period through Jan. 15, in which visitors to wildlifedepartment.com can submit their comments online through a user-friendly submission form as well as view proposed changes to the state's hunting and fishing rules. “This approach provides a simple and easy way for wildlife enthusiasts to provide us with their official comments,” said Nels Rodefeld, chief of information and education for the Wildlife Department. When filling out an online public comment form, visitors are guided through each proposal and given the option to comment. The Wildlife Department is also accepting written comments, which can be mailed to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation at P.O. Box 53465, Oklahoma City, OK 73152. Comments should indicate the specific rule change to which the comment applies. The Wildlife Department also will be hosting a public hearing Jan. 11 in Oklahoma City to accept comments on the slate of proposed rule changes. The hearing will be held at 7 p.m. at the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation headquarters auditorium in Oklahoma City (1801 N. Lincoln Blvd). Two other hearings will be held to accept comments on fisheries-related topics only — one at 7 p.m., Jan. 11, at the Miami Civic Center Banquet Room in Miami (129 5th Ave NW), and the other at 7 p.m., Jan. 12, at the OSU Extension office in Pryor (2200 NE 1st St). For more information about hunting and fishing in Oklahoma, log on to wildlifedepartment.com.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Used to go to those meeting all the time when they had them in Ponca City. There hasn't been one here in about 15 years....the folks around here told them what they needed to hear, not what they wanted to hear. :mad:

Seems whenever they want to change a wildlife law in SE Okla, they always hold the meetings in NW okla. ??? ???

You can still make your comments online as though you are at one of the meetings if you want to be heard, and I encourage you to do so.
Just remember, even though its not in your area, think about those in that area that will be effected.

For example: When the panhandle counties had a 3 pheasant limit, and some of the NC counties had a few pheasant around, and they maintained a 1 bird limit. We could hunt all day and sometimes get a single bird or two in the group. We could knock on doors and get permission to hunt.

Fast forward a couple of years, and they raised the limit to two birds a day in the NC counties, while reducing the limit in the panhandle to two birds. after meetings in Enid, Ponca City, and Medford where overwhelmingly we voted NO!(I attended each one) to keep it to one bird as we are in the fields daily, farming and hunting, and know there is not enough of them to increase the limits.

All of a sudden people that drove thru these NC counties started stopping and wanting to pay to hunt. They started buying up land that was cheap, and paying leases that the normal human can't afford to pay. If you knock on a door now, You'd better have lots of $100 bills in your hand.

Road hunting which was almost non-existant is now almost a way of life over there, and most of them that are caught by the game rangers in the county are from OKC and the Tulsa area.

I've had dozens of offers to lease my land, and refuse to do so.

Sorry about my ramblings, but it touched on somthing that irritates me.

I just don't want the hunting and fishing in Okla to turn out like Texas, or Europe where only the high paying elite get to hunt, but its getting there.

There is a group from Texas here now that has leased most of the prarie dog hunting in the panhandle, and are working on the rest of the state.

Remember your roots if you attend meetings, and make comments online to help us keep Okla hunting and fishing the way it should be.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agree with you 100% on the leasing issue. Almost the entire south side of Hwy 9 from Earlsboro to Seminole is leases and that about 10miles west to east. Don't know how far south they have leased. The only good thing is that Okla has a lot of public hunting land, but as leases eat up more and more land, the public lands will get more and more pressure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts