Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years in my military career, and hunting, I've ran the range from -70 below zero to 125 degrees Fahrenheit.
Conventional talk has been to use a heavy oil at high temperatures, and a silicone spray or no lube at all at the coldest extreme.

Using the wrong lube can result in situations that could cause a loss of life.

Normal temps from 40-100 degrees F, normal lubes seem to work OK, like rem oil.

I've tried WD-40 at cold temps on a Ruger Mark I around 0 degrees, and its a total fail, gumming up.
I don't like running a gun without any lube, so have tried the silicone spray, and it makes the gun work.

While stationed in Korea on a mountain top site, we reached -70 below zero. I had to make a perimeter patrol. Carried a Winchester model 12 riot gun with buckshot. Thank God nothing happened as I couldn't even open the action to cycle a round If wanted. Frozen up solid.

During my tour in SE Asia, one could have used axle grease to lube the gun, it was so hot.

I've been putting some thought into gun lube lately.

I don't know what the mil. spec. lube is now for the military, but I'm thinking the synthetic motor oils like Mobil one may be the way to go?

I use the synthetic in all of my small engine at the house, as I use most of them all winter/summer. Mowers, log splitters, etc.

My log splitter fired right up the day after we got to -25 this last winter, while it was still below zero, and it runs good in the mower during summer.

Long story, but what do your guys think of using one of the synthetic motor oils for gun lube?
The specs support it.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
What ever happened to good old elbo grease in keeping a gun clean.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You still have to lube em ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I use G-96 after Hoppes bore cleaner and to clean all the the surfaces. It leaves a sight film similar to silacan. I have used it in -0s temps to +100s in bolts, semis, and pumps. Never had a problem yet.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Mil likes CLP for cleaning and lubing now days. It's good stuff but there are better cleaners out there. On my P22 I like to mix rubbing alcohol and graphite lock powder into a paste and rub it on the slide and rails, even started to use that on the 1911 & Hi Power. It makes the surface slick and doesn't attract gunk. I'm also a fan of dry lube like Remingtons and other teflon or moly based spray dry lubes. Once again, I don't like stuff that attracts dirt and holds it on the gun.
There was a string of posts on another site about using Mobile 1 for gun lube and there were some real life rocket engineers types that said the synthetic oils would hold up to the task no problem. I've always wondered about using something like Slick 50 or some other type that gets into the pores of the metal to lube.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'm going to convert to the Mobil 1.
The more I read about the ability of the lube to flow at any temperature I'll ever experience, has convinced me.
Brownells sells a plastic bottle with a steel needle tip that looks real interesting.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I'd say go for it. Heck I've been using Mobile 1 for the last 12 yrs in my vehicles, it ought to work on the guns.

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
Just remember to change out your gun every 3,000 rounds.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Silly Navy guy, Mobile 1 extended life will get ya 15000 rounds!

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
OK thats great. Just tell the wife you still need to change it out every 3k. Its a win win.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Ahhhh, Navy man is wise man indeed!!!

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A couple of years ago, I got an invite from a Mil supply to try some new gun lube. It was like the slick 50. But, it was like a light grease.
Supposed to put it on, and then let set, and wipe off. I didn't have any problem at all at super low temps. I don't have a problem putting a gun in the freezer to test a lube. That stuff was great, but after testing it, and offering to buy some, the $100 per oz kind of drove me away.

I do a lot in the woods, at super low temps, so if you guys do the same, put em in the freezer, and then test them. Most freezers are at -4 F or that area.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Militec. Is the cats ass. We use it at our range. Brownells has it.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Welcome. I'll check it out. I love Militec

·
Super Moderator
10,993 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts