Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in what natural baits people use for bait when fishing, and what your favorite rig may be.

I fish in a current where I work at Sooner lake, so for cats, I like to use a 2 oz weight on bottom with a hook/leader about 2-3 feet up from the weight. Shiners seem to work the best, hooked through the eyes so they remain upright and simulate swimming.

Here is something crazy. The hybrid stripers are in there now, and the best bait for them is chicken livers fished on the bottom! One would think they would go for the shiners, but the livers are king. :eek:

I've heard of folks using weiners, some with garlic, some cut and soaked in beer overnight.

What do you folks use?

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
"I've heard of folks using weiners, some with garlic, some cut and soaked in beer overnight." Sounds like what I had for lunch today. But seriously, the chicken liver deal has been used and working at Konawa lake for years at the discharge channel. Funny that it works better than cut shad or live shad. Plus if you get skunked on hybreds, you just might get a channel cat.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I haven't been catfishing in so long, but we used to use goldfish, minnows, and worms at the river. I buy a box of worms occasionally to let my kids have a blast with the bluegill at the pond. I prefer bass fishing with lures myself, although your hand makes for some interesting fishing!! ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,983 Posts
Well I was reading some tips the other day on another site about buying the cheapest hot dogs you can find. Cut them into 1" chunks, cover them in garlic powder and microwave for one minute then add more garlic then microwave for another minute. I tried this over the weekend and I must say not only will it work on cats (my 4 year old got his biggest fish ever about a 3 pounder) but we also got carp, bluegill and sunfish with them.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damm! there is something to this! ;D

·
Registered
33 Posts
i use grasshoppers and baby mudcat on jug lines.we catch grasshoppers in the sumer freeze them in a brown paper sack so they dont stick together and hook the mud cats in the lip they live for a long time.last week i caught enough to feed 17 people and bring home 6 gallons of fish

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Creek minnows work for Cats & Crappie.
Hook them threw the top lip on a single hook or a crappie jig.

Clams hooked in the foot of clam works great for cats,strippers & hybrid bass.

Crawdad tails- Trout,catfish& strippers.

·
Administrator
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Creek minnows work for Cats & Crappie.
Hook them threw the top lip on a single hook or a crappie jig.

Clams hooked in the foot of clam works great for cats,strippers & hybrid bass.

Crawdad tails- Trout,catfish& strippers.

I usually catch strippers with dollar bills! ;D

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Thank goodness for catch and release Dennis!!!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Bird, He keeps everything. Don't let him fool ya ;D ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts