Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,055 Posts
I too would like to welcome you to the forum. Can't say I know a thing about the place.

So by looking at your screen name you make calls and if so what kinds?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just watch out for snakes. The area is full of water, and is abundant in all kinds of reptiles and amphibians, including cottonmouth, timber rattlesnakes, and alligators.

*Please don't just kill random snakes. There are plenty of harmless snakes in the area too, such as broad-banded water snakes, mud snakes (cool looking little guys), and glossy crayfish snakes (protected species).

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum. I've never been there, but have watched a couple of fishing shows on Outdoor Okla TV show. It sure looks like eastern country.
I'm also interested if you make calls.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Did you have a booth at the Okla Expo two years ago? a couple of your calls looked familiar. You've done some really nice work.
I picked up a wood lathe a couple of years ago, and have dabbled in making strikers, giving away a couple of them on the forum, and the rest to my friends. Never have made the pot yet. Not quite sure how they are built. I guess I can break the slate out of one that I have and see though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I didnt have a booth but I have sold alot of calls the last 6yrs never know when someone will make one similar.

I would be happy to give you the rundown on making some calls

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
No I didnt have a booth but I have sold alot of calls the last 6yrs never know when someone will make one similar.

I would be happy to give you the rundown on making some calls
That would be awesome! I don't have the time nor the inclination to get into the business of selling them, but just like to make my own things, and some for friends.

I have a never ending supply of black walnut, and osage orange. I have a place on the farm where the osage orange is needing thinned, and had a dozer in there about a month ago that layed some down rebuilding a terrace. I burn walnut in my fire place as I have another place on the river with walnut. I can trade you some wood for some schoolin':D

These are some strikers I made and donated to the NTWF banquet.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Dennis,

I could use some Osage orange. A friend of mine makes longbows and said he would teach me if I bring my own Osage orange.

If you go to the Wildlife Expo, I'm in the Reptiles and Amphibians of Oklahoma booth every year. I wasn't able to be there in 2008 though. It was the same weekend as a trip I had in Black Mesa. But I have been there every year otherwise. I made sure my venomous snakes were there though. The rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouth that were there are mine.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
The Osage orange I have is pretty small in size. The trees started about 15 yrs ago. I also have a buddy that makes selfbows. He lives in Stillwater. I'll be over there this weekend and see if any of them are big enough to make a bow. Most are in the 6" diameter size. What diameter would you be looking for? Not in the bow building hobby, so I don't know.

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
Dennis,

I could use some Osage orange. A friend of mine makes longbows and said he would teach me if I bring my own Osage orange.

If you go to the Wildlife Expo, I'm in the Reptiles and Amphibians of Oklahoma booth every year. I wasn't able to be there in 2008 though. It was the same weekend as a trip I had in Black Mesa. But I have been there every year otherwise. I made sure my venomous snakes were there though. The rattlesnakes, copperheads, and cottonmouth that were there are mine.
I still haven't made it to the farm to see if there is any osage orange long enough to make a bow. Its been wet, and the 22 acres where it grows is in the middle of a section of wheatfield. I have to drive on top of a terrace to get back therre, and if I slipped off down the side, it would be mid summer before it would dry out enough to get my truck out ::)
I have to work this saturday, and Its supposed to rain again Sunday, so it may be awhile. I won't forget either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.