·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Looked good but short in length.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Had a great range session this morning. Tested three more powders and checked the 4064 loads at 200 yards.

First powder checked was Reloader 15.
Astronomical object Circle Pattern Art Font

That way left shot was called "way left".

Next was IMR430
Natural material Circle Pattern Symmetry Beige

Ho hum

Last IMR4895

Art Circle Pattern Symmetry Natural material

This group measure 3 inch by 2 inches. It use to be that a 4 inch group at 100 yards with factory ammo was consider acceptable for hunting. Modern rifle and modern ammo will shoot much better than that today. But this 130 year old single shot with Metford rifling and English style iron sights seems to meet that old 4 inch standard. This is a 100 yard gun!

All the 100 yard groups were shot 6 o'clock hold.

The main purpose of todays range session was to test the 4064 loads at 200 yards. I shot the three test loads first, but when I got those done the wind came with 10 to 15 mph gusts. The 200 yards groups sure showed the effect of that . Center of mass aim point.

Slope Rectangle Ruler Parallel Font

I should note here the estimated velocity of this 180 gr RN rounds is 2200 fps. Wind drift at 200 yards should be about 6 inches at 10 MPH and 12 inches at 20mph.

Since this gun shoots right of POA this left to right dispersion is about correct.

One thing I won't be doing is taking 200 yard shots with this gun.

I think I will load up some more IMR 4895. My current load is 38.8 grains. Sierra manual give me two more increments, 40.4 and 42 grs. I am going to load 5 of each and go back to the range.

I am already at max load on the IMR4064 loads.

I also am going do a figure of merit excel spread sheet on the 4064 and the 4895 load and come up with a sight correction.

Action video. Yes my sweet Lady Jane took some action video today and as soon as I get it edited and loaded to youtube I'll post it.

Oh one other thing. You guys who may have a concern about this BOF hunting with an inaccurate primitive gun, I did a scope check on the K-15 .308 Norma Mag that will go out hunting as the back up gun. Scoped hasn't moved in 30 years. 3 inches high at 100 yards.

Rectangle Font Triangle Line Red

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Keep it up. Like the read and reports. I’m SOL until spring for load development around here.

·
Administrator
14,527 Posts
Here is my lady Latest video efforts. Be sure and watch the muzzles and their jump.

That Greener .577 had a pretty sharp muzzle rise when the shot broke.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Nice looking guns and short film.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'll let you ponder this for a bit. During the Victorian era the Brits used a system of measurement to determine accuracy called figure of merit.

W e use the center to center system to come up with MOA. Simple to nd easy to do. The problem with this is you could have a group of say nine shots all in cluster and one shoot a stray. That one shot would have a greater influence on the group size than the other 9. For example the 9 shots measure 1 inch but the 10th shot opens group up to 2 inches.

The Brits had a system that registered the coordinates of each shoot and a formula that determined the mathematical center of the group, and rated the total merit of each shot to its center. It was pretty complex and easy to understand why it passed out of favor.

Along come modern times and Excel spreadsheet. One of the fellows on British Militaria Forum took the figure of merit formula and plugged it into Excel and made it simple to use Figure of merit. All you need is the Figure of merit Spreadsheet, locate the coordinates and input each shoot and the spreadsheet give you all kinds useful information,

Here are the two Figure of merit Spreadsheets for 4064 and 4895.

Rectangle Product Font Line Material property

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Lots of useful information in there. But the biggest take away for me is the sight correction. If you have been following this thread you may have noticed the groups are all right of the 6 o'clock point of aim. Looking the FoM sheet I need to move the rear sights to the left .027" to .031".

This afternoon I am going to do that and will try to get some photos showing how it is done on these old guns. Tomorrow I am headed to the range and we will see how successful I am.

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
That’s some interesting info for sure. Looking forward to what you have next.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Karma?

Murphy's Law?

Practice what you preach?

So I went to the range yesterday and started test firing the 4895. Third shot a case head came out but the front half of the brass stayed in chamber.

Age old reloading rule and especially important with these old guns. Never use brass fired in one gun in another gun.

When I loaded this ammo up I had 19 cases. I grabbed one case for a box of fired brass-probably fired years ago in a SMLE. I decapped primed and neck size for the .304 diameter bullets. I had already marked the other 19 case with a sharpie. I didn't mark this one.

I do not know how many times over the past years I have given out this advice, do not switch brass from one gun to another. If the advice is good enough to give others, perhaps I should listen.

So far none the simple ways to remove the brass have worked. I can not find my cerro safe.

Just pulled the gun out the freezer that method did NOT work.

I guess I will just take the Isaac Hollis 450 WR Musket No. 2 hunting.

I'll order up some cerro safe and extract the case when I get back from hunting.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I cut off a piece wooden dowel. Mixed up some two part epoxy. Smeared the epoxy on one end of the dowel, Pushed the dowel in the broken case and pushed it all the way into shoulder. This morning pushed a cleaning rod down the bore to the case, Gave the rod a light thump and the case came flying out.

Wood Cylinder Musical instrument Gun accessory Metal

I am ready to go hunting!

But first my Lady Jane says I must make the Sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving Dinner. Happy thanks giving everyone!

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just as a follow up, I checked the interior of the the two previous fired cases with a paper clip and could find not indication of head separtion.

Oh and this morning I found my cerrosafe, right where I left it the last time I used it. Another rule violated, put things away when you are through using them.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts