Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its after the fact for some of us, but what is your method to load deer in your truck?

Several years ago, I was pulling a buck up over the tailgate, that weighed 180 something, and slipped a disc in my back. I was down for 6 weeks before getting rid of all the pain. Always in the past, I'd tried to find a ditch or something to back into so the tailgate is at ground level, but sometimes that is just not possible. Since I typically hunt alone, I've had to come up with alternative ways to get them in the back of the truck. I've got a 3 wheeler to get them to the truck, and bought one of the carts with bicycle wheels to haul them in with. Its not bad resting the cart on the tailgate and pulling up a doe that way. Its gives it a little angle, and reduces the weight to pull them into the truck.
Then started using the tri-fold ATV ramp, to pull up does.
But when it comes to a buck that gets up there, I still needed something better to keep from screwing up the back again.
I finally had a brain flash one day while attending one of those traveling tool shows. It was a Cummings brand, and like most, it was all imported junk, but, one item caught my eye. It was a hydraulic lift that was supposed to be bolted to the bed of a truck. I thought that would work to insert it into the receiver hitch of my truck. It was only a hundred bucks, and it bolted to some heavy wall 2" square tubing to insert into the hitch. It works great!! Rotates 360 degrees, lifts 1000 lbs. I used it today to help a buddy that is a disabled veteran load his buck he shot.
The meat cooled nicely in the water. :D He was using my AR as its really light.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
You should get a patent for your hoist and build them. It might be an item someone would like to buy.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That is SWEET!! My buck last week dressed 160, luckily I had my 4 wheeler ramps with me and was able to drag him up those.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is SWEET!! My buck last week dressed 160, luckily I had my 4 wheeler ramps with me and was able to drag him up those.
Oh gimme a break! you used a track hoe to load it! LOL ;D

·
Registered
451 Posts
I WISH!!! I called the guy I was hunting on to see if he had a loader tractor in the area, no luck! Got him started on the ramp then climbed up and pulled him up in my lap.

The bow buck I killed here at the house, so I just drove the ole 986 over and scooped him up. 8) ;D ;D ;D :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know of one guy who wished he had one of those. He was trying to load a half full plastic 55 gallon drum into his truck. It had fallen out along I40. I'm sure his back was cussing him for that one. The real funny part is his truck had a tommy lift on it. Not sure if it was working or not(more likely) but we had to shake our heads as we hussled home for dinner.

I have heard of people pulling the head up and tieing it off in the bed then swinging the back end up. Some how I don't see that helping all that much. If I ever kill a deer this year I'll let you know.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard of another method that involves keeping a sheet of plywood in the back of the truck.
Leaning the plywood on the tailgate, pulling the deer up, tying off the head, and then lifting up the plywood, and sliding the deer into the truck.
Don't know how well that would work for those with a bad back to start with, but its worth a try.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
1 2 3- O' thank god everything went right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hunting here on Fort Sill there are several retired vets who are disabled, I know of at least four guys who use a hoist like the Dennis uses. A few guys have it mounted to the truck in the rear and some use the hitch.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I need to build something like that and put my $50 Harbor Freight winch on it.

·
Administrator
14,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Your back will thank you.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
I have used come-a-longs to hoist hogs up into the truck. But with my current deer luck they are easy to pick up and toss into the truck. I guess if and when I get one with some meat on its bones then I figure out what to do.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Like hay Gauge, Grab the front & rear leg. You ready? 123. ;D

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I thought Gauges method was to whistle at the deer, point to the bed of the truck and then shoot it and let it fall between the wheelwells!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Buddy, I wish.

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Plus he shoots ducks that land in his pockets!

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
Not so sure about that Bird. Usually his decoys become live birds and he just puts then in his bag.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Your both killing me. ;D ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,012 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts