Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the girls out to shoot the 6.5 prc and 416 Barrett today. Set up at 500 yards and they each shot a group of 3 to check rifle and then we moved back to 1400 yards and got after it. Used longshot hawk remote camera system, Labradar radar/chronograph and kestrel wind system that blue tooth’s to the iPad that figures you windage and elevation. Wind wasn’t the most desirable today to shoot. It was often 180* different direction at target than it was at shooting trailer. This made for a wide string of shots left to right. The Labradar even tracked several shots that snaked their way to the target. This was their first time to shoot this far and I was proud of how well they did. Neither one thought the 416 kicked too hard and the shots from it were in the red or next to it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Not going to lie, it has been several years since I've shot past 500. Glad that all of you had fun and made hits. I've never shot a .416 Barrett, but I imagine that it cuts the wind better than most anything else.

That wind reading becomes an art...even more so when the amount of objects used for reading said wind are limited. I shot multiple 1K matches when I was in where half the flags were in one direction, and the other half were in the other direction. Some of the guys had it down where they could still hammer the X-ring. I wasn't one of them.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It’s awesome the time you get with your girls and the way you spend it!
In a world of tiktok YouTube and every other time theif most kids don’t enjoy the days spent outside.
looks like y’all had another great day!
I didn't let my girls get their cell phones until they got their drivers licenses. One thing I've noticed is that don't have those phones glued to their hands like most do.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
I didn't let my girls get their cell phones until they got their drivers licenses. One thing I've noticed is that don't have those phones glued to their hands like most do.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
Thats a good thing. Those phones can take over kids and even adults lives.
Congrats to the girls getting some trigger time! That long range shooting is an art that takes lots of practice to master.
I have a trailer just like yours, but I think it's older. Mine is a 70's model with the split rim wheels.
It's hauled hundreds of tons of dirt, gravel and is used to store corn in the shop during the winter months when running feeders.
Pretty cool how yours is set up for a shooting trailer.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
Always a great time when sending lead down range with the kids.

Reactions: murphranch

·
Administrator
15,664 Posts
Did u see someone set a new world record with a 4 1/2 mile shot? Holy crap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the bullet was in flight for over 30 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
I think the bullet was in flight for over 30 seconds.
I thought I read where it was 24 seconds of flight time. Probably had a mile of drop as well.
I think it was the 64th shot that hit the plate. The plate was something like a 6’x8’ or an 8’x10’.

·
Super Moderator
13,239 Posts
That was also done here in WY.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Agree. If it’s going to be a world record it should be set with a witnessed 5 shot group per day vs walking in the rounds.
I was probably a bit harsh on just "two shots", but walking in like you said can be done by anybody with average-level skills and enough money in equipment.

You can even grossly screw up wind calls and eventually luck out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts