Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head to the Family cabin at Lake Eufaula in a couple of hours.

Tomorrow we are headed out with fishing guide Dusty Keener for crappie fishing. Saturday we are having a big family fish fry. The pressure is on for Gramma and Grampa to feed the family.

To warm to fish from the bank so Sunday and Monday will be lay-about. I don't enjoy being dragged behind the boat on an inner tube any more. I mean what are they trolling the lake for with bait the size of me on the line?

Got a couple of books I want to read. One in particular, Greg Hopkins "a time to kill, the Bible and self defense. I have my study bible out and will take it along. I have tried to read this a couple of times. The font size is kind of small which has slowed me done. I also found that you need to take time with this book to read-it appears a bit intense. Anyone else read this book?

Got a pair of Glocks 44's this week and may go down to McAlester and shot them. Which reminds me I need to dig some ammo out.

We will stop in Calvin on the way home and see a guy about shooting my cannons on his ranch. I want to see if his property is safe, before I bring the guns out.

Should be back Tuesday.

Have a great weekend everyone.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Why go all the way to Mcalester to shoot? Plenty of spots around there. I’ll be following the same trails I think. Calvin then to the lake I think if all goes well. What part of the lake you on?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Why does the name Dusty Keener sound familiar? Does he do a fishing show? Very popular guide? For some reason that name rings a bell. Good luck fishing and feeding. Enjoy the family time. The book sounds good but I’d have trouble going back and forth from 1 book to the other. I suffer from a short attention span and doing more than 1 thing at a time. Weather looks like it may cool down some also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Looking forward to the cool down. I will be taking two guys and grandson of one out Sunday to hunt more dove, then It's time to fish. Got a new panoptix system put on the boat before taking off this summer and only fished with it once.
We NEVER go to the lake on holidays. Too many first timers and those that get reckless later in the evening.
It is pretty entertaining to hang out at the boat ramp though on Sunday and Monday nights of the holidays and watch some of them try to load their boats.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
People don’t realize how dangerous the water is, I’ve seen some pretty bad wrecks. Watched one boat catch fire and sink last Memorial Day and another sink due to drunken stupidness at the trump rally. As the boat went down all the idiot cared about was his beer cooler and when offered help he rejected with an attitude clung to the cooler and fought off anyone offering a hand. Nice new boat at that. I’ll be at the lake but I doubt I drag the pontoon out.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
People don’t realize how dangerous the water is, I’ve seen some pretty bad wrecks. Watched one boat catch fire and sink last Memorial Day and another sink due to drunken stupidness at the trump rally. As the boat went down all the idiot cared about was his beer cooler and when offered help he rejected with an attitude clung to the cooler and fought off anyone offering a hand. Nice new boat at that. I’ll be at the lake but I doubt I drag the pontoon out.
My dad was in a serious boat accident on the lake when I was a kid around 12 or so. Another boat came out of a blind cove, and dad hit it broadside going completely over the top and throwing dad out. The boat continued across the lake at full speed. A bystander in another boat took chase and tried to do the jump from one boat to the other to save the day but it backfired when dads boat took a turn and went over the top of this guys boat. The prop got him in the face and across the chin. Ripped his lower jaw off with it hanging by an ear lobe and three prop penetrations across his chest.
When they brought him in, his head was laying on a minnow bucket with his lower jaw inside. The only way he could breathe was with some straws stuck down his throat. He actually survived but was really scarred up. They didn't have much plastic surgery back in those days.
That incident in my young mind has made me respect the boating life and the dangers associated with it while disrespecting the idiots that don't.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looking forward to the cool down. I will be taking two guys and grandson of one out Sunday to hunt more dove, then It's time to fish. Got a new panoptix system put on the boat before taking off this summer and only fished with it once.
We NEVER go to the lake on holidays. Too many first timers and those that get reckless later in the evening.
It is pretty entertaining to hang out at the boat ramp though on Sunday and Monday nights of the holidays and watch some of them try to load their boats.
Watch out for the old coot you’re taking dove hunting, because I think his cheese is sliding off the cracker.:ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
Watch out for the old coot you’re taking dove hunting, because I think his cheese is sliding off the cracker.:ROFLMAO:
We had a discussion a couple years ago about some of his issues. It's all good now. :LOL:
I don't take firearm safety lightly.
If your in Ok, your welcome to join us. Weather is cooling off so it will be a comfortable hunt.

Reactions: retrieverman

·
Registered
234 Posts
We had a discussion a couple years ago about some of his issues. It's all good now. :LOL:
I don't take firearm safety lightly.
If your in Ok, your welcome to join us. Weather is cooling off so it will be a comfortable hunt.
I appreciate the offer, but I ended up coming home today and am glad I did now. My previously scheduled Saturday job decided they wanted me tomorrow.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend planned. Hope you catch a bunch of big slabs. Sounds like you’ll need to to feed everyone.
I’m packing my crap, I mean stuff, for hunting camp. I’ll be back Monday evening probably. Will have limited cell service for posting and checking on things around here.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sounds like a fun weekend planned. Hope you catch a bunch of big slabs. Sounds like you’ll need to to feed everyone.
I’m packing my crap, I mean stuff, for hunting camp. I’ll be back Monday evening probably. Will have limited cell service for posting and checking on things around here.
Oh great! Now the spammers know they came post and wreak havoc all weekend… :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
11,253 Posts
I’ll let them think they won and then snipe them.

·
Administrator
14,234 Posts
The other dog in the hunt will still be around. ;)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My dad was in a serious boat accident on the lake when I was a kid around 12 or so. Another boat came out of a blind cove, and dad hit it broadside going completely over the top and throwing dad out. The boat continued across the lake at full speed. A bystander in another boat took chase and tried to do the jump from one boat to the other to save the day but it backfired when dads boat took a turn and went over the top of this guys boat. The prop got him in the face and across the chin. Ripped his lower jaw off with it hanging by an ear lobe and three prop penetrations across his chest.
When they brought him in, his head was laying on a minnow bucket with his lower jaw inside. The only way he could breathe was with some straws stuck down his throat. He actually survived but was really scarred up. They didn't have much plastic surgery back in those days.
That incident in my young mind has made me respect the boating life and the dangers associated with it while disrespecting the idiots that don't.
This is exactly what I’m talking about people don’t realize the danger. I was on a small lake and didn’t know it at the time but I had four other cousins on the same lake that day. Me and two friends were fishing when a big boat that should be on grand lake comes flying at us nose in the air there is no way he can see us we start screaming jumping waving and in seconds everyone on the bank is also luckily the guy turns 30 or so foot from us and nearly knocking us over. I get home shortly after that and my aunt is calling me tells me don’t go fishing today my cousin is on his jetski and they watch some idiot nearly run him over. A couple hours after that I get a call from my little cousin they were at the lake and his BIL was in a small boat with some people when a boat hit them and went over top it killed one child and the prop cut another child’s face off (not sure if he survived) his BIL was alright. They ended up arresting the guy he was drunk as a skunk and they also found meth. It’s a long story but you get the point idiots and boats don’t work well

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fried some of the catfish I caught a couple days ago along with some squash from this years garden, a handful of fries, and a few hush puppies for my wife this evening, and I even cleaned up and washed the dishes. Needless to say, she’s really happy with me right now, and I’m hoping to parlay that happiness into hot loving later.(y);)

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a lot of pictures this trip, but the wife wanted to make point about who caught the biggest fish so she had to take a picture of this one. I put that one back for next year.

We did catch more normal size and a couple of biggies.

Why go all the way to Mcalester to shoot? Plenty of spots around there. I’ll be following the same trails I think. Calvin then to the lake I think if all goes well. What part of the lake you on?
Around here? Family place is in Arrowhead. Didn't bring the guns. Are you in the area?

D & K Guide Service Dusty and his dad run an operation on the lake. Dusty is full time and dad now is part-time. He said he has been doing this with his dad for 12 years on the lake. I think his dad was doing it before him. This crappie fishing is different than the type of fishing I am use to, just short of boring. Well most fishing is boring. Dusty says that they catch the odd cat fish, but he does no like to catfish. He said he would do a trip targeting bass however. Using a guide like Dusty gets me access to a boat, tackle and fish/lake knowledge. It also helps a local small business man put three kids through college. He charges $300 a trip for two people. He will filet and bag your fish for $50. I also tip guides up to 20%- I pay that to a waiter to carry plates back and forth between the kitchen and keep my water glass full for a hour. Why not the guide who does everything and provides all the equipment, Plus he entertains you for 6 hours. Besides Dusty has a wonderful personality and is nice to be around. Not always the case with other guides I have worked with in the past.

I have small pelican 10e pond boat, and not really for cruising the lake. I think this is plenty enough boat for a guy my age who hasn't been doing boats most of his life. It has a 3hp Evinrude and 45lb minkota. I am going to bring it up here to the lake and fish close to the Arrowhead boat ramp and the docks. I have been bank fishing, with moderate success. My lovely wife Jane is okay with this as long as I always wear my life jacket. She won't let me climb a ladder either without her being physically present with her phone in hand and 911 on speed dial. Yet she doesn't bat an eye when I pour a pound of black powder in my bowling ball mortar and shoot a bowling ball a mile. I guess more people have ladder accidents then cannon accidents.

I’ll let them think they won and then snipe them.
I have been moderating several discussion boards for years, troll hunting and spam killing can almost fun at times.

Well the family is just about head out to the lake, so the wife and I will have the house to ourselves. Peace and quiet-yes!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I’m out that way quite a bit cousins have some lake houses there a lot of family from the area as well as ex in-laws we fish the lake a lot but I haven’t much this summer. Have a lot of family out by the i40 bridge telling me come out as I type this. If you are into archery there is a course you can shoot at the state park however I’ve never been there

1 - 20 of 29 Posts