Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve used Clays, Trail Boss, Unique, and Titegroup, and I’m not happy with how dirty they all have been.

Can someone offer a suggestion for something cleaner?

If it makes a difference, I’m loading 148 gr wadcutters.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I suggest something from Vihtavouri (N320, 330, 340) but you'll have to pay more for their stuff.
I've never used any of their powders. The more I hear about them the more I want to do some research and pick some out to try. When they become available.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
You're in luck. Powder Valley (powdervallyinc) has 4lb jugs of N340 in stock right now.
Which is good for what loads/caliber? That's what I need to research. I have loads for H-110, Unique, Tite group and others committed to memory because I've used them over the years with great success.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You're in luck. Powder Valley (powdervallyinc) has 4lb jugs of N340 in stock right now.
I’ve had n320 and 340 suggested multiple times with 320 supposedly being the “best”, but it’s as scarce as hen’s teeth right now. I saw yesterday that PV had 340 in stock and should’ve already placed the order but haven’t.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Which is good for what loads/caliber? That's what I need to research. I have loads for H-110, Unique, Tite group and others committed to memory because I've used them over the years with great success.
It is almost perfectly bracketed by Universal, Unique on one end and HS-6, Autocomp, and CFE Pistol on the other. N340 can be used in any autoloader, and does okay for moderate magnum charges too.

It is my dad's pistol powder of choice, and he's the one who gave me this really unhealthy obsession with guns and reloading.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I’ve had n320 and 340 suggested multiple times with 320 supposedly being the “best”, but it’s as scarce as hen’s teeth right now. I saw yesterday that PV had 340 in stock and should’ve already placed the order but haven’t.
Hodgdon itself has 8lb jugs of CFE Pistol in stock right now too.

Edited to add: Hard to beat N320 for light 9mm loads.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but this seems like a good time to ask. I fell down a rabbit hole yesterday reading about wadcutter bullets and something I consistently seen was people saying they would not carry handloads for self defense. Why is this?

·
Super Moderator
12,801 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread but this seems like a good time to ask. I fell down a rabbit hole yesterday reading about wadcutter bullets and something I consistently seen was people saying they would not carry handloads for self defense. Why is this?
Wadcutters don’t expand they just punch a hole like an FMJ.

·
Administrator
15,276 Posts
I think the story going around about not using reloads for SD is mostly urban legend.
Some theory about loading bullets that are too dangerous causing more damage than they should or some such silliness.
Ammo manufacturers are including just about every style of bullets in their finished product these days.
This subject has came up on OSA several times. At one time there were 3 lawyers in the discussion. None could find any proof that any jury or judge used reloads in their deliberations.
Not saying it never has as there are lawyers always grasping for anything they can use, but we couldn’t find anything, so the consensus was that it was urban legend.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
While very much possible for urban legend, I am always reminded of the story of Harold Fish (AZ guy who shot a wierdo in self-defense with a 10mm).

At least one jury member (remember...any idiot can be selected for the jury) went on record stating that they were concerned about the caliber of weapon, as well as choice of ammunition used.

I'm not going to pick a side on whether or not handloads are okay...My position is strictly on reducing the chances of an idiot on a jury (or prosecution) taking offense with the bullet I used in self defense. To me; it isn't worth the potential hassle to roll my own personal defense ammo.

*That being said, the magazine in my M&P40 that is on my hip at the moment is loaded with 155gr Speer Gold Dot bullets - handloaded - over 6.5gr Bullseye. Last thing I shot with it was a skunk on Sunday before church. So maybe I'm a hypocrite.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wadcutters don’t expand they just punch a hole like an FMJ.
There’s a lot of “experts” that tout wadcutters as great self defense loads because they penetrate and don’t expand. That’s actually what got me started loading and shooting them.

While very much possible for urban legend, I am always reminded of the story of Harold Fish (AZ guy who shot a wierdo in self-defense with a 10mm).

At least one jury member (remember...any idiot can be selected for the jury) went on record stating that they were concerned about the caliber of weapon, as well as choice of ammunition used.

I'm not going to pick a side on whether or not handloads are okay...My position is strictly on reducing the chances of an idiot on a jury (or prosecution) taking offense with the bullet I used in self defense. To me; it isn't worth the potential hassle to roll my own personal defense ammo.

*That being said, the magazine in my M&P40 that is on my hip at the moment is loaded with 155gr Speer Gold Dot bullets - handloaded - over 6.5gr Bullseye. Last thing I shot with it was a skunk on Sunday before church. So maybe I'm a hypocrite.
Urban legend or not, I tend to go with your way of thinking and want to limit my chances of being convicted on some lame ass technicality by some jury of morons. I always carry factory ammo in my gun, but my spare ammo is generally my handloads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts