Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for you reloaders and ammo junkies. What’s the heaviest .40 you know of and who makes it? I’ve seen some 240g hard cast wadcutter design by Buffalo online but was out of stock, otherwise 200g is the heaviest I see. Most of those are JHP or FMJ. My research has said a hard cast wadcutter design is best for bear defense and maximum penetration.
As a back up to my bear spray I have a couple .40s I’ll use for bear protection. In time I plan to get a .357 or a compact .44. Not gonna take my Kimber 1911 .45 to the field nor am I going to take the scope off my .44 Redhawk. So that leaves me with my 2 .40s.
Im all ears for some education.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Any locals have any info on what they carry and where they get their bullets? Freedom Arms is a good company located in right there in Wy. Might give them a holler. Freedom Arms ? Unparalleled Firearms

·
Administrator
13,579 Posts
I shoot BBI bullets
https://www.blackbulletsinternational.com/
200 grain appears to be the heaviest bullet they manufacture In a semi wadcutter design.
They are a coated bullet that won’t lead up a barrel.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve seen several of the new “coated” designers to prevent fouling and build up. Not much in the way of feed issues either with them. YouTube didn’t have many videos either.
As far as asking all the locals, they all say to buy a hand common like a .44, .454, .500 S&W and such. The .44 I’m game for but not the others. A .357 is also on my list. I’ve looked at 10mm but from what I can tell they aren’t much more than a .40 +P. Same bullet, just more powder and they do have that in heavier 220+ bullets. I know smokes a big 10mm fan so I’ll wait to see what he has to say on those.
I know a .40 certainly isn’t ideal for a big game defense weapon but it’s what I’ve got and have several of so.....
Thanks for your thoughts so far.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I carry a .40 Short and Weak (S&W) on my hip 95% of the time I'm out of the house. I have killed a ton of armadillos, opossoms, skunks, and ***** with it. I've even killed a couple of hogs and a bobcat with it. To me, a decent personal defense round is all that is needed to get the job done as long as you aren't asking too much of the caliber...bear defense is pretty much asking too much of the caliber when you can easily surpass penetration with a handful of other calibers. For what it is worth though, a 155gr Hornady TAP will penetrate the skull of a 125lb boar hog at 10 yards with ease.

I also am not a huge fan of short barrels on magnum calibers (under 4") when it comes to "outdoor defense". In order to maximize powder burn and velocity, you need a little bit of barrel length. Taking a .357 and pushing it out of a 2" barrel gives you 9mm ballistics, but with twice the blast and recoil...makes little sense to me.

A stout 10mm load like something from Underwood Ammo or Buffalo Bore will give you stout .357 magnum energy figures +/- a bit, as well as penetration (bullet construction dependent). The real advantage to the 10mm is capacity when you can run around with 15 rounds in a magazine. I wouldn't overlook it.

As for me, I have an overwhelming addiction to the early S&W model 629. A 6" barrel is my preferred length, and I have a crossdraw El Paso Saddlery rig that keeps it from digging into my side when I'm riding around with it. Admittedly though, I am not too worried about bear defense around here on the ranch.

·
Super Moderator
10,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Underwood and Buffalo make about the heaviest and best off the store shelf defense be it bad guy or big critter for the .40 with 200 & 220g cast was cutters that I can find. My Glock 22 holds 15+1 and my S&W Mdl 410 holds 12+1. Talked to a guy that said 240 is the most you can go with the .40. Anything bigger and you loose powder space and feed issues start happening with bullets not seated down far enough.
Let’s only hope if I have a run in with a BB I have my 7mm mag on my shoulder and a tag in my pocket. Don’t have to worry about grizz unless I go to where they are NW of here.

Again thanks for the .02 y’all.

Reactions: diggler1833
1 - 8 of 8 Posts