Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody My name is chance and was hoping someone may be able to help point me in a good direction. I’ve been looking into hog hunting with my dog. I only have one for now (1 year, 6 months not fully grown, Belgian Malinois) but I plan to get more dogs but not until I have her trained to help with the younger and newer pups I choose to introduce to the sport, I would like to try to run her with an already trained pack of catch dogs Or maybe even meet someone with a practice catch pen and show me a few tips and tricks of the trade, but I am new to the area and new to the sport. Therefore I haven't made any connections or contacts with anyone around the area so I figured this would be a good place to get some knowledge. I do eventually plan on putting a catch pin up in the near future. Thanks for any help in advance 👌🏻

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure if a Mal is the first choice I would take, Pyrenees, Mastiff, or a Cur, a large hound. That is just my preference.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I’ve been looking into it and I already know I’m gonna get and use a Dogo Argentino as the catch dog. I was more curious as to getting her to bay, and potentially join in on the catch once the catch dogs arrive. I’ve been looking into specific breeds and those breeds you mention seem to be the top picks along with pits, ridgebacks, Dogos and a few more but I’ve seen a lot of people using BM Curs. I’m new getting into this stuff and I’ve seen where people have used there mals for it but more so on the baying end of the spectrum. They have incredible speed and I figured since they were breed to be a livestock/herding dog, and people using their athleticism to take down large people, so my thoughts were she would essentially do the same thing but with wild pigs. Just curious to what people think. Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
Can’t say I’ve even heard of anyone in OK using dogs for hogs. Not even sure the legality of it. We have several big time hog hunters on here that could answer that one. I knew a guy back in Cali that raised and used Airedale’s for hogs. Also had some for bear before that was outlawed. Good luck to you in your quest.

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Running pigs is legal in Ok but you have to make sure WMA’s will allow it.

Reactions: kwaynem

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oklahoma’s WMA allows use of dogs to pursue feral pigs you just can’t do it during anytime big game hunting is going on I believe. That’s what I’ve been reading on the OKWD articles and information on their websites.

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Oklahoma’s WMA allows use of dogs to pursue feral pigs you just can’t do it during anytime big game hunting is going on I believe. That’s what I’ve been reading on the OKWD articles and information on their websites.
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Super Moderator
10,532 Posts
I only shot 1 hog in OK and that was with my pistol probably 8 years ago.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There are TONS of guys in OK running dogs for hogs. I've been on a couple hunts too. Honestly, I hate it. I'm not going to infringe upon someone else's hunting style, but I don't agree with hunting hogs with dogs for several reasons: they scare more hogs than they catch (the whole point of killing hogs in my opinion is to eradicate an invasive species, not make them wiser), too many dogs get hurt from pigs, and also too many dogs have been killed by property owners when dogs stray across fences chasing pigs.

I'm a dog owner and I care about them more than most humans, I'd never want to put them in harm's way. Also, I've been pig hunting an area where people run dogs constantly, I've seen too many dead dogs left on the side of the road shot by their owners after being injured by pigs or they didn't hunt, so they were shot and left.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
To many folks don't want to do it with the proper equipment to protect the dogs they don't want to spend the money on it or whatever their reason is. I'm fine with running pigs with dogs they are alert by nature and I can't say the dogs make them any smarter however they do learn and are very smart animals. Kind of a tough thing to take sides on it but do what you enjoy as long as your safe about it and follow the regulations in your area. I love to hear and see dogs work.
Anyone leaving them on the side of the road ought to be dealt with.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
It's just a personal thing for me. It may just be the people I've been exposed to who do it. I've seen some terrible things done to dogs. Dog didn't flush a covey of quail, shot three times with #8 bird shot until dead. Lid on the truck box dropped and the dog didn't get out to chase a coyote, shot point blank in the head while sitting in the truck box.

The next day after we knew someone running dogs for pigs on a property, we found a black/brindle pit pull and black mouth cur shot point blank in the head with collars removed on the side of the road, on either side of the property. One was cut up by either the fence or a pig and the other didn't have any obvious injuries. I assume they didn't want the vet bill and the other didn't catch/bay a pig, there's no telling.

I've just had bad experiences with several dog hunters, obviously the wrong kind of dog hunters at least, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Some folks are just rotten and have no business being in the woods or in the field. I've heard the argument it's my dog I can do what I want with it and in a way I suppose it is their property but that doesn't make it ethical. I've said it a hundred times and I will say it a hundred more I'm sure, what in the world is wrong with people.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My neighbor hunts pigs with dogs. He likes to catch them somewhere else and then release them nearby in hopes that he can charge someone money to go hunting with him. Inevitably those hogs make it onto my property where they become YouTube stars for a few seconds. Unfortunately they usually do some damage to my land before I shoot them.

I've killed 86 pigs this year...43 of them on my 700 acres. That is a ton considering I killed 19 on my land in 2019 and 12 in the last two months of 2018 when I first got into thermal hunting.

I'll never dictate how someone else hunts...I fully believe in freedom of decision. However - in this neck of the woods - I've not met any dog hunters that I've wanted to become friends with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do agree that some people use dogs for horrible reasons and that they punish them cruelly for not doing what the people want. Those people should be dealt with, I get what they’re saying it’s my dog my property but those are the people who don’t care about life period. Whether it’s human or animal and they should be put down like one too. But I agree with the use of dogs because some dogs need jobs. I’ve met people who have high end dogs that they ruined by not giving them a job. They just let them sit there and rot away. My friend for example had spent $4000 on a purebred bloodhound and one of the most beautiful hound dogs I’ve seen and he ruined him. That dog was so energetic and we actually used him a couple of times to track deer we shot, but he never used him again and the dog eventually got depressed from sitting around all day doing nothing having no job or purpose. I get it not all dogs want/need jobs but a lot of certain breeds do and hunting is a great way for them to let them blow off there steam. This is just my personal opinion, hog hunting with dogs isn’t always guaranteeing your gonna get something, it’s enjoying the outdoors with your bestfriend. That’s how I see it, no price tag is too much for safety when it involves your companion!

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
It’s not the just few hog dog hunters that abuse their dogs.
A guy I used to work with was always looking for a shooter dog before fall bird season.
Asked him what a shooter dog was once.
He said it’s a bird dog he could shoot at the end of season so he didn’t have to feed it after season.

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
Did you make him a shooter friend, so you could shoot him when done with him?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Let’s just say he went to the bottom sewer gutter of what I consider to be a human.

Our dogs are considered part of the family.

Reactions: kwaynem and rswink

·
Registered
174 Posts
I might add that my wife is a Veterinarian...and she constantly deals with guys who bring dogs in that are cut up to hell and have failed miserably at stitching them up. Most of the time the infection has set in to the point where the animal needs to be euthanized, and the dog is suffering considerably. Of course, old boy doesn't want to pay for that, so he'll haul the dog back to shoot it.

I will say, that good hog dogs CAN absolutely locate hogs that I can't with my thermal. Aside from that though, the advantage goes to thermal every other way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts