Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy called last night, babbling like an idiot, saying he just saw thousands of ducks land on a pond where he deer hunts. Pretty big pond,(10 acres) but he has been off all day building a blind, so I guess, I'll go to wallyworld tonight after work and get a duck stamp, and some steel shells.
This will be my first duck hunt in 15 years or better. All I can say is it better not be coots, or I'm coming home alone.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If you don't get anything, you can say you did a limit of what you shot at and that is air. ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Make sure you have not only your state stamp (can get online) but also your federal stamp which Wally World might sell if not all the post offices have them. You likely already know this but as you said its been 15 years.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
You need both duck stamps buddy- I hope they are all Fat GreenHeads on that pond.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Well how did ya do? Alraeady heard litmits taken by others this morning down south.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lifetime
License holders do not have to purchase the ok stamp, but I'm good to go with the Feds.
We got 6 mallards from one pond. 3 each.
Had one cripple that dove and never came up. My buddies 1 yr old white lab recovered them all. I'll post pics later. On the road right now.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
cool 8) 8) 8) .

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
But did you have a good time? I love a good wing shoot as to me its much more action than sitting in a stand or walking all day not seeing anything or even getting a shot. Yes I know phesant and quail hunting is alot of walking but you can atleast shoot multiple birds and watch a dog do it work.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, we got up to 20 degrees, and knew the ponds would be frozen, so we decided to build a blind and set it up. $60 in wood, and a couple of hours, we were ready to roll. Got to my buddy's place where he has permission to hunt, and the ponds were still frozen. Tons of waterfowl in the wheatfields, with no way to get to them.
I had my Britt. Gunner, and my buddy had his 1yr old white lab. Driving to a place we can pheasant hunt, we spotted some ducks landing in a pond. It must be spring fed, as it did not have any ice on it at all. We popped up over the dam, and dropped 6 mallards. I was fortunate enough to get a double with my first shot, and followed up with another on the second shot. My buddy dropped three as well.

His pup, did a great job on blind retrieves, bringing all birds back.

We hit two quarter sections, and walked them out with the dogs. Got several good points from Gunner on some hen pheasants, but only got one rooster up. He came up on my buddy's side, and his Benelli wouldn't fire. He jacked another round in, and it fired, but the bird was too far out by that time. Good weather, great dog work, and a few birds in the bag. Doesn't get any better than that. ;D

The blind under construction:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Nice birds. Glad to see you had a great time.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Bull, I hear ya on the bird hunting. I miss quail hunting more than anything. Lot's of good times had hunting birds with friends or just out by myself.

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, my trip to the dark side has taken me to the eating stage.

One of the reasons I've not duck hunted is because growing up as a teenager, I'd shoot a duck, always a mallard, and my mom, would cook it from a recipe in the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was skin on, plucked, filled with stuffing that contained oranges, and roasted like a turkey. Why in the hell it had oranges, I don't know, but thats Betty Crocker. It totally sucked. I'm not a big fan of stuffing, nor oranges, so maybe that is where it came from.

In recent years we have taken vacations where we have ate at restaurants that featured French cooking styles, and I ordered the duck, just to make sure I still hated it.
I know it was tame duck which is different from wild, but never the less, it was quite tasty.
Afterward, eating in Stillwater at a Thai restaurant, I ordered the "crispy duck". Dammed good. So here I am.

I bought a pork loin at the store the other day, that can be a little dry and decided to brine it before grilling. I saved some of the brine, and put a duck breast in it, to set overnight.

Lightly floured it, and did a medium heat in olive oil.

MAN that was good! I'm gonna have to get a little more of this.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
It's all on how you prepare them!
Duck is great eating.
Good to see someone get Mallards.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
Hope you pulled the tail curles out for a keep sake. I also do the same with the pintail pins.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
I wonder where ya got that from ::) ::) ::) ;D .

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i've cooked them three different ways now. First was with a breast totally wrapped in bacon and grilled. The bacon was really tasty. The duck was so-so.
Second way was brined, and grilled with no seasoning. That was really good!

Third way was cut in strips, coated in flour, and fried in olive oil. Really tasty.
Tomorow I've got another breast already brining, to wrap in bacon and grill.

·
Super Moderator
11,027 Posts
I wonder where ya got that from ::) ::) ::) ;D .
Oh come on you really think you came up with that idea? I just hadn't taken any ducks worth a darn till we started hunting together.

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Dennis- Slice the breast thin & make ya some fajitas or stir fry... O' it's to die for good.
O and make ya some Duck Fry's instead of Chicken Fry's also O' so good.

Bull- Well ya!!! You think someone else came up with it? Do ya, Do ya?? ;D ;D ;D ;)

·
Administrator
14,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I fried some in strips that had been brined for lunch today. They were in the brine too long. Way too much salty taste. Had them in the brine for 24 hours. I'm thinking 4 hours max.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts