Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well crap. I was up bright and early this morning to sight in my new Nikon Bolt XR CROSSBOW scope. Was hitting good to 53 yards. Moved back to 63 to sight in final dot. Let her fly and I heard them pop of the arrow striking the target. But did not see my lumonok winking at me. I thought it didn't come on. Went to check and bolt wasn't in the bag. Behind target is a mowed prairie hay field. Bolt is nowhere to be found. Have had the entire family out looking. Went after dark and can't see the lumonok. Guess it burried up good. :'(. They sell em in 3's. So that's about a $20 arrow. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
That stinks man. I've lost a few arrows myself and it always hurts the wallet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Between all the critters I try to shoot and wanting to be an 80 yard archery sniper I have averaged a dozen arrows a year. I get bored shooting and always try to stretch my range out, till an arrow goes missing. I figure its about 200 bucks a year I am shooting. Pigs and Deer have been tearing my arrows up too, so I am at least getting some food out of it.

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
The carbon bolts from my crossbow just disappear into the grass. I've got a couple out there. I have taken up fletching them myself. Shooting a deer always strips some
Of the fletching. We don't have a bow shop, so had to learn how.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
I fletch all my own as well. Between cutting them off why practicing and such its just cheaper. Plus the kids like learning how as well.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Always figured one should know how to fix arrows and bows just in case something went wrong out on a hunt and we all know that nothing would ever break during a hunt! :mad:

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Always figured one should know how to fix arrows and bows just in case something went wrong out on a hunt and we all know that nothing would ever break during a hunt! :mad:
Somehow I figure there is a story behind this ;)

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
Well crap. I was up bright and early this morning to sight in my new Nikon Bolt XR CROSSBOW scope. Was hitting good to 53 yards. Moved back to 63 to sight in final dot. Let her fly and I heard them pop of the arrow striking the target. But did not see my lumonok winking at me. I thought it didn't come on. Went to check and bolt wasn't in the bag. Behind target is a mowed prairie hay field. Bolt is nowhere to be found. Have had the entire family out looking. Went after dark and can't see the lumonok. Guess it burried up good. :'(. They sell em in 3's. So that's about a arrow. :mad:
I just thought of something.
Is your target one of the "block targets"?
I'm not paying $100 for the name brand ones, but bought one of the "Yellow jacket" block targets at walmart. I lost a bolt once, and had a buddy that saw it hit the target.
The block is 2" longer than my bolt. At 50 yds it hung right in the middle. Kept poking an allen wrench in the holes until finding it. My bolts have a threaded hole where the nock is, so I made a little tool in the shop to get a small metal bolt in there to screw into the back of the crossbow bolt. Finally recovered the bolt. ;D

Since you were shooting at long range, could this be a possibility?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I fletch all my own as well. Between cutting them off why practicing and such its just cheaper. Plus the kids like learning how as well.
I've thought about one of those Arizona EZ Fletcher things. I've also thought about buying GoldTip HunterXT 5575 shafts in bulk and making them myself, but I'm afraid I'd get in over my head. Family curse I guess I need to break. Dad wasn't a do-it-yourselfer, so I never learned anything like that. My grandpa used to reload all his own bullets, and dad never did. So when grandpa died, grandma and dad sold all the reloading equipment. I was only 9 then, so I didn't know or have a say in it. I really wish he would've had enough foresight!!

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Somehow I figure there is a story behind this ;)
Well, I'm not superstitious or nuthin but when you find that "Luck Arrow" you have to keep it in the game!

·
Administrator
14,025 Posts
I Fletch all my own as well. Between cutting them off why practicing and such its just cheaper. Plus the kids like learning how as well.
I've thought about one of those Arizona EZ Fletcher things. I've also thought about buying GoldTip HunterXT 5575 shafts in bulk and making them myself, but I'm afraid I'd get in over my head. Family curse I guess I need to break. Dad wasn't a do-it-yourselfer, so I never learned anything like that. My grandpa used to reload all his own bullets, and dad never did. So when grandpa died, grandma and dad sold all the reloading equipment. I was only 9 then, so I didn't know or have a say in it. I really wish he would've had enough foresight!!
Trust me. fletching an arrow is a snap.
The jig does all of the work for you. You have to determine if helical Fletch or straight is best for you.
Most prefer the helical. the jig does all of the work with indexed slots. Just put a little glue on the fletching, put it in the jig, and let it set for awhile to dry. Easy.

Sasawka loaned me the one he uses.

·
Super Moderator
10,970 Posts
I have one of the AZ easy Fletcher's with a right helical. I also got a grain scale, fletching's and glue. It all ran me about $100. The fletcher and scale cost the most. I'm OCD when it comes to my arrows and all being the same weight and such. Depending on the fletching's you get they may as much as 4g more than the ones you have on which will effect the arrow mainly at longer ranges. I didn't know that till I started weighing everything piece by piece. However after talking to several Pro shooters it takes like 40g difference between arrows at 30y to see any difference. At 50y it makes a big difference. All 12 of my hunting arrows weigh between 499-505g. I'm picky and that's me.

Get yourself one of the AZ Fletcher's and some new fletching and glue. You will be glad you did. You don't need to get the fletcher remover razor thing they sell. A sharp knife or regular razor blade is fine for getting the old one off and glue. Be sure to use some rubbing alcohol to clean it when done. You put the arrow in the fletcher (has a nock spot the nock snaps onto) place your 1/2/3 flectchings on however many your doing. Add the glue and close. Leave it be and come back later on and open it up and take it out. Word of caution-go easy on the glue because when its secured in the fletcher the oozed out glue can dry to the fletcher so when you go to open it it will stick and or rip the fletching off. Done that a few times. Piece of cake. BTW the fletcher is two-tone so your guide vane always has its spot for easy use.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys!!

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dennis, I thought of that. I'm shooting the cheap cotton filled target. The bolt is longer that the target is wide.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts