Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blah, blah, blah...I'm sure I've invaded your privacy enough with my reloading and shooting stories that I know only impress myself. However, this is something that I figured was worth sounding like a wiener about:

My 6.5x47 still isn't fully ready for real testing. I started today with only 75 rounds down the tube. That was close enough to where some barrels start to speed up, so I figured why not? I had 20 rounds loaded into four groups of. 2gr increments as I was bracketing my initial load success from my first round of handloads.

For reference: Factory 123gr Lapua Scenar ammo produced a velocity average of 2,724 FPS with an ES of 29 and SD of 9. Not bad, and it was good for groups in the .6 - .7" range. I actually shot a group of five rounds at 300 yesterday with that ammo that measured almost exactly 2" (~.6 MOA).

First load today threw out an ES of 6 and an SD of 2! I was pretty stoked. I followed that up with an ES of 4 and an SD of 1 on the next group. Third group was more realistic at ES of 11, SD of 4...and then had my first velocity anomaly on the final group where one shot failed to read and another shot was 13 FPS higher than the others.

This combo has the makings of something great. The best groups have a noticeable velocity flat spot, and I've done zero seating depth testing. Actually, aside from running an expander mandrel through the mouth, these cases have had zero prep work done to them.

The wind got me on the second group as conditions were shifting a lot. I was doing a lot of watching and then cranking off a round or two when my little flag started pointing in my direction...and I got myself on the last group trying to get onto the trigger too quickly after conditions became favorable again.

Oh well. I'll file the load info away, and start playing with another bullet and powder combo.

Handwriting Font Line Gas Wood

Avg Velocity
Sky Plant Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Extreme Spread
Sky Cloud Automotive mirror Automotive side-view mirror Motor vehicle

Standard Deviation
Sky Automotive mirror Motor vehicle Plant Automotive side-view mirror

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
Nice round of load data for sure. Load more and verify if good then tinker with seating depth. Good is never good when you can have greatness instead.
Don’t listen to me, what would a I know? I’ve not loaded a rifle round of my own yet.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice round of load data for sure. Load more and verify if good then tinker with seating depth. Good is never good when you can have greatness instead.
Don’t listen to me, what would a I know? I’ve not loaded a rifle round of my own yet.
For me, I'll call the results "good enough". The gun ran a couple of .4s with near the same load after only 25 rounds through the barrel, so consistency in this range is probably there (excluding an attempt at 'greatness' :D). it would have been nice if I didn't chunk that second shot on the final group either, but oh well.

My goal was to have an accurate rifle to enjoy informally shooting with on the ranch. This certainly isn't going to be a competition gun. So my accuracy expectations were for something in the .4 - .5 range for five shots consistently, while not pushing the load hard. I'm a full 200 FPS slower than some of the comp guys hotrod this cartridge at...but they're near 2 grains over max.

Why not 1/4 MOA? Well, because I'm not a 1/4 MOA shooter. I can usually string groups together that are 1/2 MOA or a little better, but I don't have the skill, equipment, and reloading equipment to consistently shoot groups in the .2s or even .3s. It's nice when it happens, but it is not expected.

I'm using a $110 bipod (not $300+), a cheapo single stage press kit and dies ($600, not $6K +), and a rifle/optic that run about 1/3 the cost of a high-end comp gun option. It is amazing what the pursuit of that last 1/3 of an inch can cost. That extra money and effort can ruin the fun for me in a hurry.

You'd better get to reloading soon, or the wife will start questioning your purchasing decisions :).

·
Super Moderator
12,623 Posts
For me, I'll call the results "good enough". The gun ran a couple of .4s with near the same load after only 25 rounds through the barrel, so consistency in this range is probably there (excluding an attempt at 'greatness' :D). it would have been nice if I didn't chunk that second shot on the final group either, but oh well.

My goal was to have an accurate rifle to enjoy informally shooting with on the ranch. This certainly isn't going to be a competition gun. So my accuracy expectations were for something in the .4 - .5 range for five shots consistently, while not pushing the load hard. I'm a full 200 FPS slower than some of the comp guys hotrod this cartridge at...but they're near 2 grains over max.

Why not 1/4 MOA? Well, because I'm not a 1/4 MOA shooter. I can usually string groups together that are 1/2 MOA or a little better, but I don't have the skill, equipment, and reloading equipment to consistently shoot groups in the .2s or even .3s. It's nice when it happens, but it is not expected.

I'm using a $110 bipod (not $300+), a cheapo single stage press kit and dies ($600, not $6K +), and a rifle/optic that run about 1/3 the cost of a high-end comp gun option. It is amazing what the pursuit of that last 1/3 of an inch can cost. That extra money and effort can ruin the fun for me in a hurry.

You'd better get to reloading soon, or the wife will start questioning your purchasing decisions :).
Need LRPs & LRMPs to load. Right now .223 and my SRP 6.5 CM brass is all I can load. My bench is currently disassembled and all my gear in boxes. I’m at least 40% complete with the move right now.

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
Speaking of reloading, finally received a shell holder and case trimmer base to start loading 30-30.
Inherited the Marlin 336 from FIL when he passed well over a year ago with factory ammo nonexistent since.
I just want to shoot it a few times, kill a deer with it this fall and put it back in the safe.
Lots more fun guns in that safe to have range time with.
Since there is no ammo available, thought it was time to reload a box or two. Pretty sure there is a ziplock bag of brass in the shop along with all the other bags of different calibers.
Hopefully didn’t use it for trading material.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Speaking of reloading, finally received a shell holder and case trimmer base to start loading 30-30.
Inherited the Marlin 336 from FIL when he passed well over a year ago with factory ammo nonexistent since.
I just want to shoot it a few times, kill a deer with it this fall and put it back in the safe.
Since there is no ammo available, thought it was time to reload a box or two. Pretty sure there is a ziplock bag of brass in the shop along with all the other bags of different calibers.
I hope you have that brass as well. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think I have some 30-30 brass you can have Dennis

·
Administrator
15,152 Posts
I think I have some 30-30 brass you can have Dennis
Our gun range had a cookout and flea market for gun things a couple years ago, so I bagged up all sorts of brass that had been recovered from the range to see if anybody wanted some. I was the head burger flipper and just left them on my tailgate for anyone that wanted some, so not sure if the 30-30 went or not. What was left went into some large paper bags and is sitting on the shelf as we speak to be gone through.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts