Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an email from a buddy who owns a couple of wooded hunting properties. Thought I'd post here to see if anyone else has had a similar experience. He has a guy offering to pay $1000 for 24" diameter x 40' tall walnut trees. Of course, now I have to go walk our 320 and see if we have any that fit the size requirements! 5-6 would make a nice addition to my 'hunting fund'.

We are finishing up a pole barn for our hunting place but have to wait on the framing and OSB on the insides until prices come down. Got 1 1/2" of closed cell insulation sprayed this weekend so no real need to OSB the walls.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I need to build a blind. Or rather put wood on the frame. High prices of ply wood are keeping me from finishing. Anyone know of any substitutions that would work ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
I need to build a blind. Or rather put wood on the frame. High prices of ply wood are keeping me from finishing. Anyone know of any substitutions that would work ?

How about some of the fiberglass roofing panels from Lowe’s?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That might work. I was thinking some kind of thick plastic sheeting

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
We got a young guy cutting trees of ANY variety that will have a 12 foot long log that’s at least 28” across. I’m talking cedar, cottonwood, hedge, locust, walnut. He has a truck and trailer and goes to Houston with a load every Thursday. He brings back $7,500-$12,000 every trip. I pay him for his fuel receipts and any cost that might come up. Had to buy 3 tires and a air bag for trailer. After that we split it down the middle. He seems tickled to death. I know I am and I’m not doing any of the work. I do supply a tractor to drag logs out and load them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Wish I’d known about timber bringing that much.
50’ oak tree i cut last week is in a pile for firewood.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That’s no lie. I would have been rich from all the trees I cut up after ice storm

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got plenty of huge oak trees and while never thought about logging on the property, it's a thought for sure now. Doubt any of my cedars are 28" in diameter but going to look for those while searching for really big walnut trees! I do like cutting out the lower boughs on a cedar tree for a quick ground blind.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

I have a couple old barns I’m going to tear down on my lease and use the wood on my blind

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here you go Dennis - a little salt for the wound!

How Much Is Your Tree Worth?

Me thinks I will be looking closely at the really big trees on our property when out there this weekend! At these prices, it might speed up our plans on expanding some food plots or removing big trees that are shading areas of plots to this year instead of next.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Send that guy to me. I have several large trees he can cut down.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Here you go Dennis - a little salt for the wound!

How Much Is Your Tree Worth?

Me thinks I will be looking closely at the really big trees on our property when out there this weekend! At these prices, it might speed up our plans on expanding some food plots or removing big trees that are shading areas of plots to this year instead of next.
Dang! This one black walnut we have in the back yard is worth $10K!

Reactions: Bullbuster

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I also told the guy cutting he could take and sell all the firewood from the tops and branches. There is a helluva lot of firewood in the limbs of the big oaks he cut down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
What exactly happened that’s cause lumber prices to get so high? I’m outta the loop on all this.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Covid everything got shut down and no one was producing is what I heard. A friend of mine was trying to buy a side by side and everywhere we called was a 90 waiting period or longer because of the shut down

·
Super Moderator
10,833 Posts
Covid everything got shut down and no one was producing is what I heard. A friend of mine was trying to buy a side by side and everywhere we called was a 90 waiting period or longer because of the shut down
That’s crazy. I know COVID caused a lot of business to go under.

·
Administrator
13,918 Posts
Part of the lumber shortage was covid related as well as the housing construction that is going through the roof. New homes are sold before construction is completed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Damn we have some huge old growth walnut, ash, hedge and catalog over on the Sandy Creek and the Medicone Lodge. Might just be worth the hassle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts