Oklahoma Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok gang I have decided that I am going to finally get out and get back into fishing. It's been so long since I have had time but I am going to make time. Work has been so stressful since well I started. I seem to be so busy with work and family related obligations I haven't had any time to get out and hunt much at all and fishing hasn't happened in ages. So I decided this year I am making time for fishing and getting out with me son and teaching him the enjoyment of fishing. Basically I need an outlet that allows me to relax a bit and fishing has always been enjoyable and relaxing. Can get out in the tube (yes I still have it) and relax a bit.

Anyways onto the question. I need some recommended lures for Bass, Striper and crappie fishing. I have not a clue where all my old tackle has disappeared to since I haven't fished in a couple years so I need to build a new tackle box supply. So I want to get a few essential lures outside of the basics like weights, hooks and so on. So any recommendations so I can go do some shopping this week?

·
Administrator
15,409 Posts
The pro bass fishermen always say crank baits are their go to bait for fishing new waters, and then going to the finess baits. Seems like every lake's fish seem to like something different. At Sooner they prefer shad patterns on the lures, but other lakes, different colors work.
For me, I really don't care what I catch. I just like to fish. If your around docks, and other structure, some of the small 1/8 oz spinner baits and rattletraps work great to catch anything, The hooks are so small, that a biggun may not get a hook in their lip, but they do work to catch fish.
We had a discussion in the fishing forum about using crappie nibbles, and everybody agreed they seem to work better if jig fishing for crappie from docks or from a boat over structure.
Nothing better that a bucket of worms and some bluegill to keep the kids happy ;D

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah. I am actually going tomorrow with my neighbor out on his boat.:) I plan to buy a few odd and ends tonight. I really am looking forward to a day out of the office out on the lake..:)

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
All depends on the water you plain to fish.
Certain lures & baits only work in certain waters with a few that will work well all over.

Sandbass-Blue fox spinning minnow.This lure is all metal- Half minnow half treble hook with metallic feathers & a metallic spinner.I have used this in many different lakes & it pays off.1/8 oz

Bass-rubber worm-The darker the water the darker the worm.Berkley power worms or Wal-Mart renegades.
4-7" work best.1/0-4/0 worm hook.I use Owner & Mustad.
1/8oz-1/4oz worm weights.Split shot works well on not so windy of a day & weightless is deadly on calm days.
You will always find a bass that wants a rubber worm.

Crappie-live minnows.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Spinner baits are a good choice for nearly year round, fish 'em fast while bass are active and slow and rollin, bumping the bottom when they are slow. My wifey kills using a Beetle Spin and they are good on bass, crappie and perch. I also like inline spinners like a Mepps.

Pre spawn and the spaw I don't think you can beat a lizard. Aquatic lizards eat fish eggs and ma bass hates that. They'll clobber a lizard. After the spawn, then go to spinners or plastic worms or Sluggo's.

Now for good ole dad & kid fishing, bobbers, hooks and minnow/worms would be the ticket.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.